AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 12-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Old 12-03-2020, 12:10 AM

More B'Rock based on Tony's recommendation. I like it.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:09 AM

My first choice for this sort of stuff is this. NativeDSD is offering them as a package.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handel ConcertiGrossi.jpg (78.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 12-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius, Op. 38

Catherine Wyn-Rogers (Angel), Andrew Staples (Gerontius), Thomas Hampson (Priest/Angel of the Agony)

Staatskapelle Berlin, Staatsopernchor, RIAS Kammerchor, Daniel Barenboim

Release Date: 7th Jul 2017
Catalogue No: 4831585
Label: Decca
Length: 93 minutes

Presto Recording of the Week
14th July 2017

Presto Recordings of the Year
Finalist 2017
Recording of the Week
Record Review
15th July 2017
Recording of the Week
Old 12-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Listening to . . . An extraordinary set of CD's . . .

Italiane Baroque

Chiara Banchini - Conductor & Violin
Ensemble 415
Amandine Beyer - Baroque Violin

Ensemble 415 was a remarkable group of Baroque musicians - founded by Chiara Banchini in 1981 and, unfortunately, dissolved in 2012.

This recording is wonderful and is made even more so because it was a gift from a very dear friend who, along with his wife, visited me and my wife a couple of weeks ago. What a treat having those folks here.

Thank you so much, dear friend. (A friend who just happens to be a regular contributor to this thread.) Thanks for the visit and thanks for this group of recordings.

The ensemble is noted for its performances of Italian Baroque string music on period instruments. Banchini was one of the very best Baroque violinists performing at the end of the twentieth century, and the ensemble is at its best performing concerti featuring their director as soloist. Their performances of music such as Vivaldi, Corelli, Boccherini, Muffat, and Tartini offer an opportunity to hear less well-known Baroque repertoire by composers who were very well known during the eighteenth century.

I bought this set after a recommendation in this thread.
I found it a great box.
Then, I gifted it to a friend who came to our house and liked it a lot.
I missed it immediately and bought it again.... to give it to Julian and Lane when we visited them.
Since then, I've been streaming it.
Very often, it's playing in the practice.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-04-2020, 07:00 PM

I am letting Roon "curate" and "serenade" me today. For the last few hours it has been dishing out some seriously gorgeous music by the orchestra that connects deeply with me with its Baroque period instruments playing Baroque period music. Most enjoyable.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-05-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Hubba Hubba... I'll see you and raise you.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Life is beautiful

Bach - Telemann - Buxtehude - Stille Klagen: Remorse and Redemption in German Baroque
Il Gardellino
Griet De Geyter
Qobuz 24/96

High quality album, as usual with this ensemble.
We see them live almost every year.
I wonder when this will be possible again...

Deep remorse and the longing for divine redemption are two of the central topics in the cantatas of Northern German Baroque composers. Griet De Geyter and Il Gardellino have selected three exemplary works in this genre by Dieterich Buxtehude, Georg Philipp Telemann and Johann Sebastian Bach, giving special emphasis to the clearly led voice and striking expressivity of the young Belgian soprano.

The emotional climax is Bach’s cantata with obbligato oboe Mein Herz schwimmt im Blut, BWV 199, which is based on Christ’s parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. The programme is complemented by an instrumental sonata by Buxtehude and two organ versions of the chorale Jesu, meine Freude, played by Leo van Doeselaar. © Passacaille
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Life is beautiful

Mark Simpson - Geysir
W.A. Mozart - 'Gran Partita' K.361
Qobuz 24/96

'Geysir', a world premiere recording, is composed by the clarinet player from this ensemble (without a name). Nice piece.
The version of Mozart's masterpiece is very enjoyable.
What wind instruments and a double bass can give as musical result in this work is every time I hear this a miracle for me.

A stunning pairing of Mozart’s glorious "Gran Partita" Serenade with a work written specifically to be performed alongside it, Geysir by the exceptional clarinetist-composer, Mark Simpson. Mark Simpson’s simmering, volcanic Geysir was inspired by the rich opening chord of Mozart’s "Gran Partita", and by its bubbling clarinet writing, which develop into what Simpson describes as a “flurry of colour and harmonic shifts”.
As a clarinetist himself, writing Geysir “was an instinctive thing – it never felt like trying to overcome any limitations… I’m very proud of it…”. Mark Simpson, who performs on this release alongside a line-up of other extraordinary musicians including oboist Nicholas Daniel, was the first ever winner of both the BBC Young Musician of the Year and BBC Proms/Guardian Young Composer of the Year competitions in 2006. By 2019 he was composer in residence at the Leicester International Music Festival, and is currently working on a Violin Concerto for Nicola Benedetti and commissions for the LSO, WDR Sinfonieorchester and RSNO. © Orchid Classics