AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Default KEF LS50 - The Review

*Reprinted with permission of the author for exclusive posting on AudioAficionado.org.

Well, it has been awhile since I've done an in-depth review - and of course there are always reasons, but recently it came to be that I really needed to upgrade my small home office, now that I am working out of here more and more, especially as AUDIObyE and Silenzio gains traction.

So, that left me to figure out just what I could get that wouldn't kill the budget and satisfy someone as picky and opinionated as I am. I had whittled down the list from countless entrants to just a few, and as luck had it, an opportunity came for the LS50s that basically forced my hand (first world problem, I know) at pulling the trigger. One part down - a few to go...

The process: I knew I wasn't going to change my Bel Canto S300iu - it is an overachiever and has a small footprint - something great for an office. It runs cool and sounds spectacular, especially for a Class D amp. However, I did want to get it upgraded to the newer USB DAC board (Cirrus Logic CS4353) that can handle 24/96 material, and as it just so happened, thanks to the new subwoofer I obtained, the Preamp board got knocked out of commission – so that was replaced with their newest version, as well. So, all-in-all, the Bel Canto S300iu is now the 24/96 on the newest Preamp board – and it sounds just like I remember it, with the added benefit of better resolution from the DAC.

The second part, as briefly alluded to above was getting a new subwoofer that was for music, especially since I knew any monitor speaker I would be getting won’t deliver the bass I want (read: need). After some extensive reading, and even taking a page from several folks here on AA, I found myself picking up a REL R218 sub. It is a small, compact and very pretty gloss black subwoofer with a single aluminum band running across it. It’s like a Jaguar XJR in how the certain accents of color and metal meet the glossy black finish, and I was cool with that – after all, it would just be under my desk, right?

Along with this I added a new set of the WireWorld Mini Eclipse speaker cables (spades), as I am a copper-kind-of-guy for my speaker leads, and figured I was set to jet.

After playing the waiting game for what seemed like an eternity (it was really only about 10 days to receive everything), I was ready to redo the office from my old JM Lab Sib/Cub setup to this. In case you are wondering, the Sib/Cubs are now happily residing in the master bedroom, completing a 5.1 system – finally.

I let the LS50s break in on the main system, plugged into my MC402 with the new WW speaker cables for several days since I was still awaiting the upgrade to my Bel Canto to ship back to me, which worked out well. I had originally placed the sub under the desk, but found that it wound up tunneling the bass – acting almost as a horn load, to the opposite side of the room – the first time I’ve ever had that effect here… I knew this REL was going to be tricky, but from what the word on the street was, REL is unmatched in musicality… so I knew I’d be doing some futzing around to make this thing work just right.

As you can tell from the pics, placement has been adjusted to provide more of a toe-in instead of a flat axis or 45 degree axis (I had tried it all), and this provided the most satisfaction. You’ll also notice in the pics, I eventually capitulated and lifted the sub up to the desk. Holy smokes, that was the key. This nearfield system was demanding enough that the timing of the sub underneath (not to mention the tunneling effect) along with the distance that essentially made the sub useless. Bringing it to the desk, adjusting the phase, and then optimizing the gain and crossover brought unbelievably harmony. As it is right now, the subwoofer is completely transparent from the system. If you are sitting in my chair – you can’t see the sub, and you can’t hear its position, either. I think mentally this played a huge role – it is “out of sight” but provides that last grunt that monitors, and these KEFs, lack. Not to knock the KEFs, but a 6” woofer can only do so much, even with a cabinet construction as world-class as this (I’ve used speakers with significantly higher price tags that cannot compete with the build quality).

Now to the nuts and bolts: HOW THE HECK DOES IT SOUND?!

In a word – incredible. I’ve grown up with KEF, and am intimately familiar with their Uni-Q driver, which still holds a dear place with my ears, especially back in the day of the soft dome tweeters they used. In fact, my biggest fear going in was the metallic/composite material used on the new driver – worrying that it would be bright and fatiguing. I will admit, at first, they certainly were. But after about hour 50 of break-in, the sound dynamic changed significantly. The heat died down, and the image became wide and deep, and in a nearfield reminds me of just the kind of soundstage the XRT1Ks can throw (albeit on a much closer/smaller scale).

Perhaps I will attribute that to the Uni-Q driver, by placing everything from a central point, especially in nearfield, nets a great positive benefit in overall timing, depth, and width. The centrality of vocals is astounding, and with the sub, the bass can be articulate and accurate to downright teeth-rattling depending on the music.

It seemed that any genre of music I put to test on this setup was not just no problem for the LS50s, but rather reveled in being able to reproduce the myriad of selections with a sublime experience for the listener. The louder I drive them, the happier they seemed, yet even at low volumes, the definition was exceptional to the point of being freaky good.

The articulation and sophistication of this speaker is far beyond its asking price, and the British swagger is ever-so-present when listening. There is nothing offensive about this speaker, from how it looks to how it sounds.

At total regular retail price of just $5k ($1500 for LS50s, $1500 for R218, $2000 for BC S300iu or its newer equivalent), this would be the “budget” system to beat. Seriously. I’ve had the luck/privilege/drive to listen to so much gear in my years, and this one remains one of the most enjoyable yet lightest on the wallet I’ve messed around with in years.

Yes, I am one happy camper – the added joy of working from home, both for my regular job and for all clients, new and existing, is already obvious.

A winner for sure – and highly recommended. It gets the -E- seal of approval.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM

E .....
Looks like you have configured one awesome rig for your office system.
I can only imagine how amazing that little system sounds and it certainly should go a long way to keep you in a good frame of mind when working on the computer.

Quite amazing what KEF has done with these small and reasonably priced speakers, but honestly I am not surprised that they pulled off what they did.
I am hoping to listen to the Blade or Blade 2 at RMAF later this year.

Enjoy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Very interesting. That is one mayor league desktop system you have there. Thanks or your impressions, these speaker seem to be making quite a name for themselves. I love how they look. Very glad you are enjoying your purchase!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

E... Nicely done, brings new meaning to "whistle while you work"
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Great Review. I love nearfield listening in my den, especially with my addition of the 2nd Silenzio (formerly known as eSilentPC). Now, when you get on my computer via SHOW MY PC, I can visualize the great atmosphere you have created.
I think you will be spending a lot more time in the "home office" with the new setup.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM

I got the LS50 originally to augment the crappy speakers on my TV but the wife refused to let me sneak the speakers in so it's now in my study and it's also in a near field listening position. Sounds quite uncannily good there.

I use a Bel Canto Pre3 and a pair of REF500Ms with them. Tho I sometimes power up the Ayon CD5S up as a tube preamp stage which really makes the whole system uncannily real.

It's coming up to the colder months down under so I may swap the Bel Canto power amps for the Plinius SA-Reference which can also do double duties as a room heater. Hehe
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
Great Review. I love nearfield listening in my den, especially with my addition of the 2nd Silenzio (formerly known as eSilentPC). Now, when you get on my computer via SHOW MY PC, I can visualize the great atmosphere you have created.
I think you will be spending a lot more time in the "home office" with the new setup.

You need to update your Sig Howard!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -e- View Post

you need to update your sig howard!
DONE, except for a few MIT interconnects.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Learning to Listen

Great review!

The guys at the local store that carry these absolutely can't say enough about them, and they usually don't wax on and on about gear, so I tend to believe them when they get all pumped about a product. When I did demo them, however, and one other time when I was in the room when they were being demoed to another, it was similar to your "like glass breaking" comment about the McIntosh D100. They were so "brittle" that I couldn't listen to one track without having to move away.

Now, with this review, I wonder if they had broken in at all, and their lack of low end may have simply been that absence of a sub (funny, because these guys carry the REL brand and have the exact same one you bought hooked into other systems). I really must go back and have another listen.

BTW, I like this notion of quality system to be had for <$5,000. That was my original goal, and I think I've done okay making it happen, although (stay tuned) I've now gone beyond that magic mark.

Again, great review, and congratulations!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Thanks, Pider. Looking forward to see what you've concocted now!