AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjack View Post
I have those KEFs. Amazing speakers that won't be ashamed to run with $10k + amps. The top rega integrated or simaudio integrated or Pass Labs int 150 as well as modwright integrated. would be great choices. They respond well to big clean power given their efficiency rating. The Hegel gear is giant killer so can't go wrong there. The H300 plus a great dac and the ls50 would be something that puts systems 5x the price to shame.
Awesome! What are you running them on right now?

Hegel seems to be making a name for themselves here in the states and very quickly at that. Spoken to a few folks who have their gear and understand they replaced some quite pricey stuff with it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
So I took a chance on a pair of KEF LS50's. not much on here about them other than a few mentions but other places online there are quite impressive reviews and recommendations. A lot of the same technology from the blades has filtered down to these little beauties and I've always been intrigued by the concentric driver setup.

I also had the opportunity to hear these in Newport at THE show and I can tell you that these punch far above their weight in gold. It'll be interesting to see how they fit into my room.

I'm looking at getting an integrated to power them long term. I've got my eyes on either the Rega Osiris, Ayre AX-5, or Devialet D-Premier.

Any other contenders in the under $10k range (used is fine) that I should look out for? I'd prefer to stick in the $5-7.5k range but for the right match will jump to $10k.

Also what's the recommended procedure for burning in a pair of new speakers...pink noise, certain tracks, etc?
I have a set of LS50's that have graced my office for several months. They have a completely different sonic character than the Maggie 1.7's that they replaced so it took a day or two to adjust. After they burned in for a couple weeks, I started to appreciate their overall balance and ability to deliver the music. For such a relatively small speaker they are surprisingly rich and full in the lower registers. I especially like them when playing vintage rock. Of course you can't play too loudly but they can handle moderate levels without compressing. I still like the Maggie but for completely different reasons and would consider them to be peers - that would be a compliment to the KEF I believe. I am keeping both.

I am currently using a Devialet to power them - a bit extravgant and more than your target price but it is what I have at the moment. I have also used them with a Peachtree Nova which worked well - a bit softer and more forgiving than the Devialet.

I plan to pair them with a nice wooden speaker stand and take them home for my living room. I think the Audio Research Vsi60 would be a nice amp to pair with them if you don't play music at ear bleeding levels and appreciate tube gear. A surprisingly good amp with more power would be the Sim Audio 600i.

Just play music to burn them in. There is no hurry. They will sound just fine in just a couple of weeks.

Enjoy them, a great unpretentious speaker that allows you to enjoy the music.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post

Awesome! What are you running them on right now?

Hegel seems to be making a name for themselves here in the states and very quickly at that. Spoken to a few folks who have their gear and understand they replaced some quite pricey stuff with it.
I have them in my vacation home with a simaudio i5.3se integrated. The speakers are better than the $6k amp. The simaudio i600 or i700 would be nice. Although I would probably go with ARC vsi75 or ModWright kwi200, or be completely cool and go for an accuphase.

The biggest bang for the buck is Hegel. Their P30 preamp and H30 amp are at home with 6 figure systems
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 AM

I saw and heard the LS50 for the first time at the Newport Beach show as well. Very impressive speaker for it's size and price. I think anyone looking for bookshelf speakers in the $5K range and below should audition them. They retail for $1,500 and nothing comes close to them at that price.

Congrats and enjoy your speakers!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
I saw and heard the LS50 for the first time at the Newport Beach show as well. Very impressive speaker for it's size and price. I think anyone looking for bookshelf speakers in the $5K range and below should audition them. They retail for $1,500 and nothing comes close to them at that price.

Congrats and enjoy your speakers!
I agree. They compete with $5k speakers.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
I agree. They compete with $5k speakers.
I'll take it one step further. I listened to some speakers at the Newport show
that were 10k to 15k and I liked the 1500.00 Kef's better.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Life is beautiful

KEF LS50 review from the experts at whathifi.com
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Hi all,
I'm helping my brother set up a simple/neat system for use in his new home's study, a small room measuring ar. 3m x 4m.
He loves music (various genres), but have had nil experience with audio and stuffs, so leaving it all to me.

Reading off forums, this new KEF LS50 looks to be one pretty cool candidate for the part.
Thinking of suggesting him to go with either ARCs or Accuphases with it. I know both these lines quite a bit but have never heard the KEFs.

*Do they play nice and full at lower volumes and have believable mid bass weight/energy for acoustic, contemporary Jazz, and the likes?
Sufficiently smooth extended and NOT bright edgy highs?

Partnering combos I have in mind at the moment :
1) ARC VSi75 + CD9
2) Accuphase E560 + DP700 or DP550

Any thoughts or suggestions from owners or those who have heard them appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Hi all,
I'm helping my brother set up a simple/neat system for use in his new home's study, a small room measuring ar. 3m x 4m.
He loves music (various genres), but have had nil experience with audio and stuffs, so leaving it all to me.

Reading off forums, this new KEF LS50 looks to be one pretty cool candidate for the part.
Thinking of suggesting him to go with either ARCs or Accuphases with it. I know both these lines quite a bit but have never heard the KEFs.

*Do they play nice and full at lower volumes and have believable mid bass weight/energy for acoustic, contemporary Jazz, and the likes?
Sufficiently smooth extended and NOT bright edgy highs?

Partnering combos I have in mind at the moment :
1) ARC VSi75 + CD9
2) Accuphase E560 + DP700 or DP550

Any thoughts or suggestions from owners or those who have heard them appreciated.
Thanks.
Of all those i would buy the arc vsi75. If solid state i would get Hegel h300 integrated.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Of all those i would buy the arc vsi75. If solid state i would get Hegel h300 integrated.
Thanks, have read nice things of the Hegel, will check if they are represented here locally.
Was your suggestion based on performance of individual components or specific synergy with the LS50s?
And safe for me to assume you have heard/compared both the VSi75 and E560?

*One reason being ARC or Accuphase was also because both have matching cdp's to go with their integrateds.