AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 AM

Having recently auditioned both the 800D and the sashas, i would go the sasha's
however, i then auditioned the rockports and it was only the mira 11 and i am now very tempted to listen to the avior's as to me the rockports sounded better then both of them.

But its such a personal thing, that really, only you can decide which on to go for.
What we like doesnt really matter, as we dont have to live with them.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=

But its such a personal thing, that really, only you can decide which on to go for.
What we like doesnt really matter, as we dont have to live with them.[/QUOTE]

so true !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
so true !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I get this a lot. It's true, but it's over used. I for one like to hear other's opinions (only when they're specific enough to constitute one; saying "it sucks" doesn't count) of gear I've evaluated. It helps either solidify or perhaps even "jog the memory"/"clear the cobwebs" when I'm trying to recall from my time evaluating. I typically reserve the "you have to live with it" and "only you know what you like" comments for when someone doesn't want to actually have a discussion on the pro's and con's of certain gear. So let's hear it; really. What did you like and what didn't you like? I promise, I won't get offended
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm not sure what you want us to say. I heard both speakers two weeks ago. For me, the Wilson's had no coherence between the tweeter and mid range and bass. It also became irritating to listen to after a while. I felt the 800 D's had excellent balance and coherence, but felt the D tweeter was a little bright for me. I kept thinking "how would I calm this brightness down? Tube amp? Tube preamp? Both? Cables?" At the end of listening, I asked the sale rep the cost, to which I responded in amazement (not in a good way), "HOW MUCH?" Bottom line, I felt they were overpriced compared to the amazing options in that price range.

I know you don't care about this, but I wouldn't buy either. Not a chance. But if I had to choose, I would pick the 800D's. Much better coherence and detail and a bigger, fuller sound. But honestly, for me, what you're asking is a little like trying to pick the tallest midget.

OK - let the flame throwing begin!! LOL.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
... But honestly, for me, what you're asking is a little like trying to pick the tallest midget.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you want us to say. I heard both speakers two weeks ago. For me, the Wilson's had no coherence between the tweeter and mid range and bass. It also became irritating to listen to after a while. I felt the 800 D's had excellent balance and coherence, but felt the D tweeter was a little bright for me. I kept thinking "how would I calm this brightness down? Tube amp? Tube preamp? Both? Cables?" At the end of listening, I asked the sale rep the cost, to which I responded in amazement (not in a good way), "HOW MUCH?" Bottom line, I felt they were overpriced compared to the amazing options in that price range.

I know you don't care about this, but I wouldn't buy either. Not a chance. But if I had to choose, I would pick the 800D's. Much better coherence and detail and a bigger, fuller sound. But honestly, for me, what you're asking is a little like trying to pick the tallest midget.

OK - let the flame throwing begin!! LOL.
As for price, MSRP for the 800 Diamonds is $~24k, the Sasha's is $~28k.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Allen - to be honest, I'm not a fan of either. I heard the Sasha's again last Saturday. But if I had to choose - probably the 800D. To my ears, my Salon 2's sound better than both - and with a pair of 601's, they would sing.
The Sashas are the only ones that don't sound like cones in a box to me (though they do beam a bit.)

The 800s sound boxy and not quite "right" to me, as do the Salon 2s for that matter (the Salon 1s are a different story, IMHO.)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

I have both Sasha and B&W 800 Ds (first version). I like them both for different reasons. The Sasha's are dynamic, detailed and sound like a live performance with the right material. The B&Ws have a wider dispersion and are better to me for HT. I have no problem with the 800Ds on the high-end with a class (5300) 300x5 amp. If I had to choose it would come down to 2Ch or HT. 2CH I would go with Sasha's, HT I like the 800Ds.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
I have both Sasha and B&W 800 Ds (first version). I like them both for different reasons. The Sasha's are dynamic, detailed and sound like a live performance with the right material. The B&Ws have a wider dispersion and are better to me for HT. I have no problem with the 800Ds on the high-end with a class (5300) 300x5 amp. If I had to choose it would come down to 2Ch or HT. 2CH I would go with Sasha's, HT I like the 800Ds.
Chuck
Good seeing you post again. Will you be attending the D'Agostino/Wilson event on the 15th or are you afraid that the Momentum's continue to temp you away from the Lamm's.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM

I love my 802D's but there isn't a Wilson dealer anywhere nearby so I've never heard the Sashas.

From what I've read, no matter which speaker you buy, your going to be happy. Go with your gut!