AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hi Dan, there is nothing wrong with saving up for Martin Logan CLX BUT i can asure you that they are NO match to the much older Acoustat Spectra 6600 at half the price...
Another thing to factor into the equation is that Acoustat panels pretty much last forever. Don't know the current construction of MLs, but know in the past they typically needed panel replacement after something less than a decade of use.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S. View Post
Another thing to factor into the equation is that Acoustat panels pretty much last forever. Don't know the current construction of MLs, but know in the past they typically needed panel replacement after something less than a decade of use.
There are a number of factors that determine panel life for MLs (temp, sunlight, moisture, particulate contamination, overstress, etc)... I've had a pair of reQuests for well over a decade and they're still going strong (they are in my cool dry basement theater)... but then I've heard stories of panel failure as well so yes, they can and do go bad.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hi Dan, there is nothing wrong with saving up for Martin Logan CLX BUT i can asure you that they are NO match to the much older Acoustat Spectra 6600 at half the price, yes i have heard both and i'm not the only one to think that, whe are a bunch of Acoustat proud owners in Quebec Canada that think the same, please don't forget the Spectra 22s was one of Acoustat smaller models yes they do a very good job i know them very well, i have a pair that i am selling for a friend for $1,000.00 canadian, that is not the same as the bigger one's but for 1k pretty hard to beat, i am not trying to sell these speakers here, i just want to show the difference between a small model and a bigger one that's all, here are some photos of the 1k Spectra 22s.

PS: If you have the ceiling height ALWAYS choose the 94 inches high models ( the double stacked models ) they are MUCH better.
I'm curious what equipment you heard on the CLSs, in particular what amps, to make that judgement? I don't think you're going to find that universally accepted.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
I'm curious what equipment you heard on the CLSs, in particular what amps, to make that judgement? I don't think you're going to find that universally accepted.
Myles I believe he is refering to the newer CLX's......regardless I too have to laugh when one says there is basically no comparrison.......BS, the CLX's compare very well to anything and with a competent sub or two they better most !
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Myles I believe he is refering to the newer CLX's......regardless I too have to laugh when one says there is basically no comparrison.......BS, the CLX's compare very well to anything and with a competent sub or two they better most !
You're right, must have been a Freudian slip

That said, one can't draw any conclusion about the sound of a dipole or electrostatic from most dealer's showrooms--or especially an audio show! The MLs, like any top rank speaker require careful setup; one has to very careful in separating the sound of the speakers from that of the upstream components and especially the source/source material.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.

Last edited by Myles B. Astor; 06-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
must have been a Freudian slip
that guy is always falling on his arse !
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Sound Lab

I am surprised by the scant mention of Sound Lab electrostatic panels. For me they are the finest of the genre, particularly the bigger models. I have owned the M-2, M-1, and currently have both the Majestic 845 and 945's which are the largest of the line, and IMO the finest. Single driver, total coherence, full rich timbre, and a huge sweet spot. They really are only limited by the quality of the rest of the system.

Last edited by MtnHam; 08-05-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

I fell in love with panel speakers when I first heard some magnepan's. I then settled on Martin Logan as I thought the hybrid design of an ESL panel and standard subwoofer gave the best of both worlds. I since have never thought of going back to traditional speakers. Currently I am using some Martin Logan Vantage's.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
I am surprised by the scant mention of Sound Lab electrostatic panels. For me they are the finest of the genre, particularly the bigger models.
As an electrostatic enthusiast for more than thirty five years, I completely agree. I cut my teeth on hearing Dayton-Wrights, stacked Quads, the original CLS full range and Acoustats. Owned Acoustats for over twenty years and recently purchased a pair of 1+1s for the vintage garage system. I have the steel framed U-1s, but heard the 945s when Dr. West attended a Chicago Audio Society several years back. You can get a 945 in the same massive frame on a custom basis. I confess that I prefer the 90 degree models or arrays for an ever wider sweet spot and lack of beaming.

Unfortunately, they remain one of the best held secrets. I would have loved to have heard Ray Kimber's four channel array of five pair of 922s at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival a few years running. Google "ray kimber sound lab images" if you're not familiar with that reference.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
As an electrostatic enthusiast for more than thirty five years, I completely agree. I cut my teeth on hearing Dayton-Wrights, stacked Quads, the original CLS full range and Acoustats. Owned Acoustats for over twenty years and recently purchased a pair of 1+1s for the vintage garage system. I have the steel framed U-1s, but heard the 945s when Dr. West attended a Chicago Audio Society several years back. You can get a 945 in the same massive frame on a custom basis. I confess that I prefer the 90 degree models or arrays for an ever wider sweet spot and lack of beaming.

Unfortunately, they remain one of the best held secrets. I would have loved to have heard Ray Kimber's four channel array of five pair of 922s at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival a few years running. Google "ray kimber sound lab images" if you're not familiar with that reference.
Thank you E-Stat for speaking up. I was starting to think there were no other Sound Lab enthusiasts on AA, hard to believe considering the exceptional quality of many members systems. IMO, among most ESL fans, the larger Sound Labs are recognized as the best of the category. I have heard many ML models over the years and have auditioned them in my home, including their best- the CLS, and I believe SL's better them all. They can be enjoyed from anywhere in the room, and beyond! It's like the sound at a concert hall- the excitement of music is everywhere in the hall, and even in the lobby- you know live music is happening. My system is in the living room of an open floor plan, and thus music fills the house.

I did experience the Kimber room at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and it was exceptional, as was noted by several reviewers.