AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 09-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Need a gentle nudge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Question on burn in, do you need to run a signal to it?

Yes. I use JRiver and hit shuffle to play files with various sample rates, bit rates and bit depths. This provides a complete burn-in of all stages, including the analog output. No need to have your amp(s) or preamp running though.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Question on burn in, do you need to run a signal to it?
Yes. Just cue up 100 or so albums on your source and walk away for 4 days. Actually, it's fun to listen right out of the box, then check back every few hours to hear the change. Compared to its predecessor, mine sounded like an improvement right away, and then sounded amazing after a few days.

On a related note, Schiit advises that you leave her powered on continuously after burn in, which of course is the equivalent of a burn in without the signal. Though I am a tree-hugger, I have not tried turning her off and on, so I cannot opine on how big a difference this might make.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

All, I've been having a similar debate on which new DAC to add to my main rig. Either the Gumby Miltibit, or the latest Yggy.

Universally, it is easy to say get the "better" one, which I usually agree with.

My concern in the Yggy vs Gumby debate is I've found multiple sources that claim the Gumby and Yggy are almost voiced differently (whether intentional or not). More specifically, I hear that the Gumby is warmer. Less detailed than the Yggy (perhaps a bit more smeared)...but definitely a warmer presentation.

I like a warmer sound (over an analytical sound). I have battled brightness in my system and have often erred on the side of warm components.

Here is a video comparing the Yggy and Gumby where this point is made in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPzGj2m5eXs

So to sum up my thought - I'm not asking for what is "better" as that is subjective - can anyone comment if the Gumby really is smoother and warmer than the Yggy (and possibly more "luscious" or tube-like as a result?
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
All, I've been having a similar debate on which new DAC to add to my main rig. Either the Gumby Miltibit, or the latest Yggy.

Universally, it is easy to say get the "better" one, which I usually agree with.

My concern in the Yggy vs Gumby debate is I've found multiple sources that claim the Gumby and Yggy are almost voiced differently (whether intentional or not). More specifically, I hear that the Gumby is warmer. Less detailed than the Yggy (perhaps a bit more smeared)...but definitely a warmer presentation.

I like a warmer sound (over an analytical sound). I have battled brightness in my system and have often erred on the side of warm components.

Here is a video comparing the Yggy and Gumby where this point is made in detail:

So to sum up my thought - I'm not asking for what is "better" as that is subjective - can anyone comment if the Gumby really is smoother and warmer than the Yggy (and possibly more "luscious" or tube-like as a result?
Thanks for sharing the link. I will have to watch the video when I have a bit more time.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:

Jason.......This YouTube review was posted in October, 2017. The reviewer states the Yggdrasil he is using was purchased from a previous owner. This leads me to believe this is an original version Yggdrasil and not the new Analog 2 version of the Yggdrasil DAC with the Gen 5 USB upgrade and latest firmware update that began shipping in late October 2017. For your reference, the newest Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with the Analog 2 and Gen 5 USB upgrades are designated with a serial number that begins with the letter "B". The older Yggdrasil serial numbers begin with the letter "A".

The comments about the original Yggdrasil DAC sounding bright are typical of those who used the USB output. From what I have read, those who used the SPDIF outputs of the Yggy had no issues with any brightness. Schiit addressed the USB issue with the latest Gen 5 USB input and firmware updates. I can attest to the excellent performance of the new Yggdrasil Analog 2 version with the Gen 5 USB upgrade. There is absolutely no harshness, brightness, or analytical nature whatsoever with the newest Yggdrasil. Its sound is rich, organic and as smooth as silk. If you have not already read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review you may find it quite interesting. The Analog 2 and Gen 5 USB upgrades in conjunction with the latest firmware updates puts the newest Yggdrasil DAC into an entirely new league. Don't let this YouTube review of an original Yggy DAC influence your opinion of the latest Yggdrasil DAC.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-13-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Thanks Dan!

Yup - I've definitely read your review...more than once.

I value your opinion BIG TIME -

Good point on the age of the Yggy...Gen 5 USB makes a big difference from what I read.

I've read a lot of folks saying the Gumby is smoother (and likely less detailed) than the Yggy, but perhaps much of that is coming from older units.

This hobby is a little nuts that way. I'm not super concerned about the cost difference...just very wary of introducing any brightness even at the expense of less detail if that's what it takes.

One other question - do you notice a significant difference in when your Yggy is powered on for several days vs. say a 30 minute warmup, or is that overblown on the web as well.

I have an unhealthy aversion to leaving electronics on 24/7, so that was a concern I had as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jason.......This YouTube review was posted in October, 2017. The reviewer states the Yggdrasil he is using was purchased from a previous owner. This leads me to believe this is an original version Yggdrasil and not the new Analog 2 version of the Yggdrasil DAC with the Gen 5 USB upgrade and latest firmware update that began shipping in late October 2017. For your reference, the newest Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with the Analog 2 and gen 5 USB upgrades are designated with a serial number that begins with the letter "B". The older Yggdrasil serial numbers begin with the letter "A".

The comments about the original Yggdrasil DAC sounding bright are typical of those who used the USB output. From what I have read, those who used the SPDIF outputs of the Yggy had no issues with any brightness. Schiit addressed the USB issue with the latest Gen 5 USB input and firmware updates. I can attest to the excellent performance of new Yggdrasil Analog 2 version with the Gen 5 USB upgrade. There is absolutely no harshness, brightness, or analytical nature whatsoever with the newest Yggdrasil. It's sound is rich, organic and as smooth as silk. If you have not already read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review you may find it quite interesting. The Analog 2 and Gen 5 USB upgrades in conjunction with the latest firmware updates puts the newest Yggdrasil DAC into an entirely new league. Don't let this YouTube review of an original Yggy DAC influence your opinion of the latest Yggdrasil DAC.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
One other question - do you notice a significant difference in when your Yggy is powered on for several days vs. say a 30 minute warmup, or is that overblown on the web as well.

I have an unhealthy aversion to leaving electronics on 24/7, so that was a concern I had as well.
Jason.......My Yggdrasil DAC has been powered on continuously since day one. In fact, I power it from an APC UPS so that it never loses power. Consequently, I cannot tell you if the DAC sounds good immediately after being energized from stone cold. Schiit Audio recommends the DAC remain energized. There is no serious power being consumed so I am not worried about that. I like that no matter when I decide to play music on the living room system the DAC, transport, and music server are at their prime operating temperatures.

I am confident you would be more than thrilled with the newest Yggdrasil DAC. Like you, I do not like bright, harsh, abrasive sound in any way, shape or form. That is what is so remarkable about the new Yggdrasil. It tells the truth. It doesn't warm up the sound, roll off the top end, enhance the bottom. It delivers what has been recorded embellishment free. Music sounds real, voices sound real, dynamics are authentic, background silence is jet black quiet. It is all there. I am not trying to sell you a Yggy. I am simply expressing my personal take on the experience I have with my Yggdrasil. It is an astonishing DAC.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

Thank you Dan.

I’m anxious to hear a Yggy in my system someday soon!

I’d love to find a current model pre-owned - (pre-burned in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jason.......My Yggdrasil DAC has been powered on continuously since day one. In fact, I power it from an APC UPS so that it never loses power. Consequently, I cannot tell you if the DAC sounds good immediately after being energized from stone cold. Schiit Audio recommends the DAC remain energized. There is no serious power being consumed so I am not worried about that. I like that no matter when I decide to play music on the living room system the DAC, transport, and music server are at their prime operating temperatures.

I am confident you would be more than thrilled with the newest Yggdrasil DAC. Like you, I do not like bright, harsh, abrasive sound in any way, shape or form. That is what is so remarkable about the new Yggdrasil. It tells the truth. It doesn't warm up the sound, roll off the top end, enhance the bottom. It delivers what has been recorded embellishment free. Music sounds real, voices sound real, dynamics are authentic, background silence is jet black quiet. It is all there. I am not trying to sell you a Yggy. I am simply expressing my personal take on the experience I have with my Yggdrasil. It is an astonishing DAC.

Last edited by jdandy; 09-14-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM

If you're leaning toward Gumby, I'm sure that you won't be disappointed by its sound in ANY way. I use one in my system (Gen 5 version) using the USB input primarily and it sounds great. While it may leave some performance "on the table" relative to the Yiggy, it is a stellar performer and very analog like in its presentation. I've not heard the Yiggy in my system, so I can't comment on the differences. I'm sure that Yiggy is "better", but the Gungnir MB is a great sounding and very "listenable" DAC.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 AM

FINALLY pulled the trigger! After much procrastination I finally order the Yggy...we just moved recently so getting settled in the new home etc..and plethora of other excuses.

Placed my order late last night and just a received an email with tracking info...that was quick!

I’m going to run my Node 2 through it for awhile but may eventually look at a Auralic G1 streamer...but before I do that I have the vinyl bug so I’m looking at TT right now....