AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 12-06-2016, 08:06 AM

My pants are on fire. X-t2 on order!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 AM

Recommendations among the Fuji lense line for the X-t2? Starting with the kit lense - seemed to save several hundred dollars.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Recommendations among the Fuji lense line for the X-t2? Starting with the kit lense - seemed to save several hundred dollars.
Do you have any special interests? Landscape vs portraits vs wildlife? Indoor vs outdoor? Adventure photography? There are not many weather sealed lenses but that's only an issue if you're going to photograph in the elements. It doesn't rain much where I live but since you're in Atlanta that's going to be more of an issue.

I think the 23/1.4 is hard to beat for an all around 35mm equivalent lens. The 56/1.2 is a great low light performer but a little heavy. The only zoom I have is the 10-24 and honestly I just prefer the primes.

Hopefully Julian or Stephen will chime in.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 12-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
The "kit lens" is VERY GOOD, and is much better than the standard Canikon "kit level" lenses, and the Canon 24-105/4L. It is sharper at some apertures and focal lengths than the Fuji 16-55 f/2.8 Pro lens. You will find it to be very, very, versatile. The 10-24 is also excellent and very versatile. I've seen some outstanding images made with it, and personally, keep thinking about picking one up for myself. The only reason I have not, so far, is I have the 14 mm f/2.8 prime which is outstanding. I find I use it much more than I ever would have guessed, approximately 40% of the time. I also have the 23 mm F1 .4, and it and the 14 mm are two of the finest optics I've ever used, but I find I just don't use the 23 mm very much, because it is pretty large, and when I need a 23 mm focal length, I usually use the 18–55 mm, or my Fuji X100T. I've often thought about selling it, because I use it so seldom, but it is so superb optically, that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. However, you really want a 23 mm prime, I would seriously consider the new 23 mm F/2, which has much faster auto focus, is quite a bit smaller, lighter, and less expensive, and does not have the chattering aperture blades of the 23/1.4, which really annoys some people. Also, most people don't to talk about it much, but don't overlook the 55 -200 mm zoom for when you need more reach. Not the fastest zoom on the planet, but it's excellent for general purpose daylight photography, and it is notably more compact, lighter, and less expensive than the 50 - 140 mm F2.8. It's part of the standard three lens kit that I take with me everywhere, along with the 18 - 55 and 14 mm prime. That three lens kit covers me for 99% of the situations that I would find myself shooting in general purpose day light photography, with a 35 mm equivalent focal length range of 21 to 300 mm. Lots of people rave about the 56 mm F1.2, but, I don't own one, because I really don't do portrait photography. Honestly, I find that just with the 14 mm and the 18-55, I'm covered in probably 85% of my shooting situations with just those two lenses. If I were to do it over, I would probably get the 10-24/4, and that and 18-55 would cover me for 90% of my shooting situations.

Lastly, don't overlook the 60mm Macro. The lens got a bad rap when it came out with the original X-Pro1 for slow auto focus. But it autofocuses plenty quickly enough on an XT-1 and an XT-2, and can be picked up used in a like new condition for dirt cheap on the camera forums. That's how bought mine. Optically it is absolutely gorgeous, I mean real magic, and also makes for a very nice portrait lens as well. And of course it's fantastic for macro photography. A sleeper, and a real steal.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-06-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:26 PM

Thanks!! I'll have to review this further and think about it.

I'll have my fair share of cute dog and family shots, but my serious applications will nearly all be outdoors/in the elements. My other sickness (well, at least one of my other sicknesses) is fly fishing for tarpon and saltwater gamefish in the tropics and big freshwater game fish (e.g., Steelhead and Chinook) in BC and Alaska (and equivalent). So, the necessity of "grip and grin" shots when it's rainy and cold and wet or hotter than hades and wet is real. I suspect I'll end up with your three lense kit, but let me study it some more.

Super excited. Thanks for all of the info.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks!! I'll have to review this further and think about it.

I'll have my fair share of cute dog and family shots, but my serious applications will nearly all be outdoors/in the elements. My other sickness (well, at least one of my other sicknesses) is fly fishing for tarpon and saltwater gamefish in the tropics and big freshwater game fish (e.g., Steelhead and Chinook) in BC and Alaska (and equivalent). So, the necessity of "grip and grin" shots when it's rainy and cold and wet or hotter than hades and wet is real. I suspect I'll end up with your three lense kit, but let me study it some more.

Super excited. Thanks for all of the info.
If you need weather resistance, I would get the 10-24 and eventually, the 16-55 pro zoom, they are both weather resistant, "WR" lenses. As is the 50-140/2.8 pro zoom, but it's big compared to the other Fuji lenses (the physics of optics).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 PM

Got here today. Also purchased the 1.4 WR 16 mm. It was on sale, with weather resistance, little faster and a little more expensive. Will unpack and try it out tomorrow. Love, love, love the fit and finish and the fact that it looks and feels like a real camera.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:49 AM

[QUOTE=Puma Cat;818158]If you need weather resistance, I would get the 10-24 and eventually, the 16-55 pro zoom, they are both weather resistant, "WR" lenses. As is the 50-140/2.8 pro zoom, but it's big compared to the other Fuji lenses (the physics of optics).[/QUOTE

I don't think the 10-24 is a WR lens.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 12-17-2016, 12:49 PM

This thing is awesome.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
This thing is awesome.
Congrats! Fantastic! Yeah, the X-T2 is a game-changer for the mirrorless segment. The general consensus is the camera is not an evolution of the X-T1 but a quantum jump in performance. Did you happen to get the booster grip for it as well by any chance?

Installing the Vertical Power Booster Grip and putting it into Boost mode turns the X-T2 into a beast! Its like shooting with a 40% smaller and lighter Canon 1Dx MkII.

Enjoy!

(and let's see some pics...)

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2016 at 01:57 PM.