AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM

The MX 122 seems to have a different gain structure than other Mcintosh products. It is based on a Marantz design so that may be the reason. If you can get your amps to full output, it isn't really a problem.

If it bugs you add gain offset in the speaker level trim menu - add say 10 dB to each channel if you can. Depending on the adjustment range on the MX 122 you may be able to add even more. Try it and see if it works for you. You would do this manually after running Audessy if you are using it.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 01-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The MX 122 seems to have a different gain structure than other Mcintosh products. It is based on a Marantz design so that may be the reason. If you can get your amps to full output, it isn't really a problem.

If it bugs you add gain offset in the speaker level trim menu - add say 10 dB to each channel if you can. Depending on the adjustment range on the MX 122 you may be able to add even more. Try it and see if it works for you. You would do this manually after running Audessy if you are using it.

Tom
Good suggestion and this in fact may work. I don't trust that a 10 dB reading is actually that though, so I would double check with a SPL meter and increase each channel accordingly.

If this is all true then, a MX160 would correct this issue for you and you in turn would return to audio bliss. Only you can decide if that is worth it.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 PM

I never had this problem with a MX121 and a C2300. Volume was about the same whether listening to 2-channel or movies. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but cranking the preamp to 90 seems a little strange. I'd blow the roof off my house if the MX121 was set that high when watching movies.

I'd be concerned that a family member wouldn't turn down the volume when switching over to 2-channel music.

What happens if you remove the C2600? I.e. front left/right from the MX122 go directly to the amp?
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4

Last edited by leftside; 01-16-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftside View Post
What happens if you remove the C2600? I.e. front left/right from the MX122 go directly to the amp?
I was thinking the same. Take the C2600 out of the chain and see how the MX122 performs. Does it still take as much volume for a comfortable listening level?

This would at least help eliminate the concern with the C2600.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM

My MX121+C50 have the similar effect: in passthrough mode, I need to almost max the volume.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Good suggestion and this in fact may work. I don't trust that a 10 dB reading is actually that though, so I would double check with a SPL meter and increase each channel accordingly.

If this is all true then, a MX160 would correct this issue for you and you in turn would return to audio bliss. Only you can decide if that is worth it.

Ron
So you think that 160 without running room correction will suffer from the same effect?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratliff View Post
I was thinking the same. Take the C2600 out of the chain and see how the MX122 performs. Does it still take as much volume for a comfortable listening level?

This would at least help eliminate the concern with the C2600.
Did that. Same result. I need to crank the volume up to around 80 to get a satisfying experience. It is obviously subjective, but still a huge volume difference between 2-channel (using C2600) and surround.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
So you think that 160 without running room correction will suffer from the same effect?
Running my MX150 with RoomPerfect on or Bypassed does not affect the sound level volume, so the same should apply to the MX160. Most if not all people love RoomPerfect when setup correctly.

As Tom mentioned "The MX 122 seems to have a different gain structure than other Mcintosh products. It is based on a Marantz design so that may be the reason."

Others have also mentioned the same volume issue as you with the exception of leftside - "I never had this problem with a MX121 and a C2300. Volume was about the same whether listening to 2-channel or movies."

The C2600 has a digital section vs the C2300 is all analog, so having two digital sections might also be conflicting.

You mentioned McIntosh service also verified the same volume issue, so maybe you could ask them to insert a MX160 and see if the same occurs.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Running my MX150 with RoomPerfect on or Bypassed does not affect the sound level volume, so the same should apply to the MX160. Most if not all people love RoomPerfect when setup correctly.

As Tom mentioned "The MX 122 seems to have a different gain structure than other Mcintosh products. It is based on a Marantz design so that may be the reason."

Others have also mentioned the same volume issue as you with the exception of leftside - "I never had this problem with a MX121 and a C2300. Volume was about the same whether listening to 2-channel or movies."

The C2600 has a digital section vs the C2300 is all analog, so having two digital sections might also be conflicting.

You mentioned McIntosh service also verified the same volume issue, so maybe you could ask them to insert a MX160 and see if the same occurs.

Ron
Yup. This is my next move. I'll verify it with McIntosh and report the findings.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM

I used to run a MDA1000 and a single MC352. Volume could get very loud, very fast. Now I run the MDA1000 into a MX-122 and use MC501 mono-blocks (same speakers as before) and I have to crank the volume up very high to get a real "rocking" experience. There is really nothing at all up until about 30 or 35 if I recall..I'll have to double check... and I think I had to go up to 70 to get it going to a really loud level.