AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 AM

Default Older B&W value?

Ok so I have the opportunity to pick up the following B&W speakers for a decent price.

2 DM 604-S2 standing speakers
1 CDM-CNT Speaker
1 ASW 2000 Subwoofer

I haven't been able to find out much about them. I'm really more interested in the CDM-C and the Subwoofer. I guess my question would be how are these speakers and whats a good price for them?

Chad

Last edited by xconcepts; 01-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM

I guess I'm more so interested in the Sub since I wouldn't need an additional amp. Any opinions on it?

Chad
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM

I can't say what a good price would be, but I can say that I purchased the B&W 604 for my flutist daughter about a dozen years ago when she was about ten. She is in graduate school now (flute performance-so she knows the sound of real live instruments) and still loves them.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Music Lover!

I know the Nautilus speakers hold their value pretty good. The other stuff I'm not sure of, but probably not.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Well I though the 604's were a decent price, comparing them to the price the seller said they were originally bought. But after looking up retail on them, I'm deffinitly going to pass. She wants more than they were new....

On the other hand the center and the sub are 1/4 the price of new and I'm tempted to get the sub at least. I'm not sure on the center as I don't have another amp to run it, seeing as I only have the Mac 275.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM

So the center and sub for $450, good deal?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconcepts View Post
So the center and sub for $450, good deal?
The sub is an old design, and with a 175 watt amp can be considered underpowered as subwoofers go these days. You could likely find a brand new sub in the same price range that would out-perform the ASW 2000. A single center channel speaker is a throw-in, it's also old and does not "match" any newer product.

If you can get them for $200 or 250 that might be worthwhile, otherwise I'd pass.

PS- Too bad she's asking over list for the other speakers. They'd be nice for a second system, or a fine value for a primary if they were priced right. Most used gear simply does not hold value.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
The sub is an old design, and with a 175 watt amp can be considered underpowered as subwoofers go these days. You could likely find a brand new sub in the same price range that would out-perform the ASW 2000. A single center channel speaker is a throw-in, it's also old and does not "match" any newer product.

If you can get them for $200 or 250 that might be worthwhile, otherwise I'd pass.

PS- Too bad she's asking over list for the other speakers. They'd be nice for a second system, or a fine value for a primary if they were priced right. Most used gear simply does not hold value.
So 200-250 for both would have been ok? I figured as the sub was $1k originally and the center $600 that $450 was ok, though thats why I asked the question here as they are 10+yrs old. If you all don't believe they are worth it then I'll pass though.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconcepts View Post
So 200-250 for both would have been ok? I figured as the sub was $1k originally and the center $600 that $450 was ok, though thats why I asked the question here as they are 10+yrs old. If you all don't believe they are worth it then I'll pass though.
Original retail is less important than the current reality, especially for subs which have gone through a nice evolution over the past decade. If a new sub for the same money is better, the old sub has less value.

Only McIntosh and a few other high end companies hold value in the used market. Speakers also depreciate more because they have part that can noticeable degrade over time.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Gotcha, I passed on them. I'll look for something newer. Just need to research more.