AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
---- You're serious? Did you read the reviews? Do you know anything about HDMI compatibility issues? ...Handshake and all that jazz...

...The Audio equation; DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, DSD stream, LPCM, 96/24, 176/24, 192/32, ....
The Video equation; Black & White clippping (now fixed I believe from a firmware upgrade), ...and what is not performed on that side of the moon ....

The Bryston is mainly (99%) an audio component, with HDMI connections.
Is it working (right now) at 99% full capability?

...And I thought that you knew a thing or two about it.
Yeah but it usually works and you are giving the impression that it usually doesn't.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yeah but it usually works and you are giving the impression that it usually doesn't.
---- Don't confuse things more than what they are (appear) now Kal.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM

OK, guys... I know what you mean, now, Bob. And I certainly do have a few trepidations about using HDMI for more than just video, which is all I've done to date. And my recent issues with my first SP3 have done little to alleviate same.

But what the hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. I can always fall back on the analog output of my Marantz UD9004, and be paying thousands of dollars for DACs in two units instead of one.

OTOH, I think I trust Bryston to have done as good a job as anyone to implement HDMI, and as I only wish to use it for movies and a few odd mch music disks, I am fairly confident it will work fine with my new Oppo 103. BDP1 expected next week, that will handle stereo...

So then, Happy New Year to you , too, Bob, Kal, James and all of my new friends here at AA.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM

And on a truly happy note, I just arrived home with my replacement SP3. Again, what great service from Bryston and all involved. From a Sunday night disaster, the 23d, through Christmas Day, to get a new unit here on Friday the 28th is about as good as it can possibly get. (My dealer, obviously, didn't have one in stock.)

So, again, kudos to all. Hopefully this one will work better. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Great service!
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM

-- I'm going to make one thing real certain here: I'm a HUGE Bryston's fan. ...It is a CANADIAN company, and they have the best warranty in the business. ...And they even go beyond twenty years! ...I've seen it, I've read it. ...And free of charge.

PLUS! They make some of the best electronics out there; amps, preamps, x-overs, phono preamps, etc. ...A very solid company with very solid products, and backed up by solid people.

It's just that I am extremely honest and I tell all the good with the bad.
There is nothing wrong with that because from the bad comes the good with Bryston.
And the 'bad' here, is simply the 'HDMI' protocols, and Bryston is not in love with that, so as I. ...Bryston didn't invent HDMI.

PLUS! This is an open forum where opinions are always welcome, even if they aren't always in agreement with the masses, and even if there are some typos or unclear words and interpretations. ...That's what discussions are for; learning, discovering, improving, and respecting.

Nobody has ever said that one person is more perfect than another.
We all are imperfect humans, but by working positively all together, perhaps we can improve our world. ...Criticising is very good for the soul, if well controlled by both parties; the critic, and the criticised. ...With a well understanding.

How many times do we see miscommunication, misinterpretation, wrongful judgement, and hatred building consequently?

The SP3 is one of the very best audio products, period! ...All the reviewers agreed with that. ...But perfect it ain't. ...That is all; and I know that James is always staying on top, and working with his people to make it the closest to perfect as possible.

* If I was an audio dealer, Bryston products I would carry.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 12-28-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: plural (typo)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Well, I for one have no problem with your opinions. Nor was I offended by your response to my question. I just wasn't honestly sure what you meant. And I share your opinion of HDMI, as not being the best solution. It is what it is.

But I intend to try to make it work, at least for movies. I want to sell my $6K Marantz player and use my $500 Oppo, and rely on the Dacs in the SP3.

Peace.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Life is beautiful

And the Bryston processor stays very high (number 1!) on my wish list of surround processors!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 AM

Well, so far so good. Listened to some tunes through both analog and digital and watched a whole movie without any glitches. Have begun the process of rearranging my components and swapping out the Marantz for the new Oppo.

But now it's time for bed.

More later.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Never having owned Bryston products, I have become very interested in the SP-3 and the BDP-2. However, from what I have read about some of the SP-3 quirks, and with as great a Bryston's reputation is, I could not be persuaded to shell out the cash before I could evaluate it during a in-home demo. I've been through to many "works-in-progress".