AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimesis View Post
The Ayre MX-R mono amp has two 375VA transformers. You can tell this by the maximum power draw of 750VA.
mimesis,

Thanks for providing the VA rating spec.

Could you tell me where you got this spec., as I tried looking on Ayre's website, the MX-R owner's manual, as well as calling Ayre directly, but couldn't find this spec.

In fact, Ayre politely replied to me that this spec. is likely to be one of the most meaningless, if not the most meaningless specifications a manufacturer could publish. They went on to say that there is absolutely no standard for measurement and so whatever number you come up with is pointless. The same transformer could be rated so extremely different that it is pointless to even specify a number. Unless of course you were to know at least four details about how the measurement was taken. That is the dirty little secret that no one will tell you - is how they took the measurements. When you see a specification of VA rating the proper question is how did they test it and how was that number ascertained. They said, in fact, that the best way to see which transformer is better is to weigh it! If it is heavier, it will likely perform better!

I'm neither an engineer nor a very tech-savy individual, so I guess I have to take Ayre's word on this. Any thoughts on this?

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 04-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Audio Snoopster

klipschfan....thanks for the video link.....good stuff!.....Philip
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Hi psjl,

The answer sounds like a classic Ayre answer. One, it's forthright and adamant (I said hostile but it's not - just convinced) and two, they're right.

Here is the info from the Japanese distributor of Ayre's products. You'll see the spec sheet and 750W (the max power draw rating). The unit uses two transformers per chassis.

I am not an electrical engineer nor a designer and Charles knows what he is doing. That being said, the transformer capacity is rated at 25% above his max RMS load (600W vs 750VA). Don't know how many joules his capacitors store. Some supplies are crazy overkill but from my survey, most high end units strive for 33% or 50% larger than the max work load.
Also if you click on the pdf link on the following page for the MX-R, a brochure pops up, still in Japanese, with the specs and "750W(MAX)".

Ayre Lineup

Last edited by mimesis; 04-16-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimesis View Post
Hi psjl,

The answer sounds like a classic Ayre answer. One, it's hostile and two, they're right.

Here is the info from the Japanese distributor of Ayre's products. You'll see the spec sheet and 750W (the max power draw rating). The unit uses two transformers per chassis.

I am not an electrical engineer nor a designer and Charles knows what he is doing. That being said, the transformer capacity is rated at 25% above his max RMS load (600W vs 750VA). Don't know how many joules his capacitors store. Some supplies are crazy overkill but from my survey, most high end units strive for 33% or 50% larger than the max work load.
Also if you click on the pdf link on the following page for the MX-R, a brochure pops up, still in Japanese, with the specs and "750W(MAX)".

Ayre Lineup
mimesis....Thanks for the info.....funny that the Japanese spec. sheet mentions the max. power consumption but the specs. listed on Ayre's website as well as the Owner's Manual make no mention of this....as far as being hostile, well, I wouldn't go so far in saying that, but I guess that end of the day, they do have their own particular philosophy/approach in amp development....that being said, and regardless of their stance on specs. such as these, they do make great sounding and very affordable (relatively speaking) gear!....BTW, I hear that they have been working on a R-series DAC and Phono Stage for sometime now, so we should see something hopefully appear sometime during the coming few months!.....Can't wait, especially for the R-series DAC which I'll match w/my KX-R preamp!......Philip

Last edited by psjl; 07-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Audio Snoopster

Spoke w/Dan D'Agostino a couple of times, and he was most helpful and informative regarding his Momentum monoblocks as well as his 2 upcoming preamps.

Also, I understand that there are a couple of 'major' publications that are in the process of reviewing the Momentum monoblocks, so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Dan also mentioned that he is producing a set of stands for the Momentum monoblock. During CES 2011 (Las Vegas), the Momentums were mounted on 2 aluminum stands.

However, Dan informed me that they have refined these stands and they should be going into production in the coming few weeks. He mentioned that they are smaller than the ones seen at CES 2011 (Las Vegas). The refined versions of these stands will give the appearance that the Momentums monoblocks are ‘floating’. He said that the each stand is rectangular in shape and raises the monoblocks by approx. 4" with the stand's feet been spaced approximately 7” wide and 14” deep - the dimensions of the Momentums are 4.3" x 12.5" x 18.5" inches (hwd).

Also spoke with a couple of people selling Dan's gear (including HiFi House, who BTW is no longer a Krell dealer), and was told that they have been selling very well. Whether it's sales talk or not, the majority have stated that the Momentums, in many ways, have bested the Krell Evo One's. But one thing they all seem to echo is that the Momentums possess a very liquid mid-range coupled with spectacular highs, great soundstaging & lifelike imaging, and tremendous dynamics as well as speed. Also, it was mentioned that these monoblocks run quite cool to the touch, unlike Dan's other amps (which ran quite hot) that he used to produce when still at the helm of Krell.

BTW, I agree with Serge that the rolling case with handles for the monoblocks is a most refreshing idea......nice touch Dan!

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 11-28-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Audio Snoopster

Hi-Fi News has just published the first review for Dan D'Agostino's Momentum Monoblock Amplifiers: http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/upl...tum_review.pdf

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 05-24-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Just received the July Issue in the mail with the review. Kessler really liked it.

One of my local dealers let me know he will be carrying the line. Looking forward to giving it a listen even though I don't think i am in the market for a $45K set of amps.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Just received the July Issue in the mail with the review. Kessler really liked it.

One of my local dealers let me know he will be carrying the line. Looking forward to giving it a listen even though I don't think i am in the market for a $45K set of amps.
Jim....My local dealer doesn't have his demo units anymore as the local reviewer ("Audiotechnique") loved the Momentums so much when reviewing them that he ordered a new pair of Momentums from the dealer and even "asked" the dealer to allow them to keep the demo units until their new ones arrive, and of course the dealer willingly obliged given their standing in the local audiophile community. I believe they will be replacing their current reference amp (Boulder 2060) with the Momentums. But now the dealer does not have the demo pair of Momentums anymore, so I'll be trekking down to the Singapore dealer to have a listen in the coming few weeks.....Philip
Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjl View Post
Jim....My local dealer doesn't have his demo units anymore as the local reviewer ("Audiotechnique") loved the Momentums so much when reviewing them that he ordered a new pair of Momentums from the dealer and even "asked" the dealer to allow them to keep the demo units until their new ones arrive, and of course the dealer willingly obliged given their standing in the local audiophile community. I believe they will be replacing their current reference amp (Boulder 2060) with the Momentums. But now the dealer does not have the demo pair of Momentums anymore, so I'll be trekking down to the Singapore dealer to have a listen in the coming few weeks.....Philip
Philip
The next time I drop in at the dealer here I will let you know what the status of him getting a pair in.

I sure would like to try a some Boulders in my room, but besides being expensive they are massive.

Jim
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Philip
The next time I drop in at the dealer here I will let you know what the status of him getting a pair in.

I sure would like to try a some Boulders in my room, but besides being expensive they are massive.

Jim
Aptly named I guess Jim.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES