AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Dan
One local dealer had a buyer come in a immediately purchase their demos right off the floor. They have been waiting for the replacements for a bit now.

According to both the purchaser and the store owners they play way way above their price point. I am looking forward to auditioning them.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Dan
One local dealer had a buyer come in a immediately purchase their demos right off the floor. They have been waiting for the replacements for a bit now.

According to both the purchaser and the store owners they play way way above their price point. I am looking forward to auditioning them.
Jim.......I hope you do get a chance to audition the Focal Sopra n°2 speakers. I will be looking forward to your impression of them. There definitely seems to be a wave of enthusiasm for this new Focal offering. Your keen ear and serious commitment to high quality sound will be an excellent reference point for an evaluation that I can trust.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM

The 1038be's Electras are on my short list. I actually audition them one more time before I rule them in or out. I'd love to hear how the Sopras compare to the 1038's from those who've heard both.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM

The Sopras were of interest to me as well, but I couldn't find any to listen to.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Retired

Would also like to audition. Too bad their nearest reseller is one that I won't deal with.

Appears that the cover for the tweeter is screwed on. Do prefer the Electra's sonics without the covers.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Default Focal Sopra No. II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The Lost Bears.......Hopefully you will return for a future audition after break-in with a few CD's or LP's you are intimately familiar with. I would be interested in your impressions.

The Focal Sopra n°2 has a good sensitivity at 91dB with an 8 ohm impedance. It should be relatively amplifier friendly to a wide selection of integrated amplifiers and separates.
Hi Dan,

Don't know if you got a chance to read the review in Hi-Fi News' September edition. They measured the Sopra No. II's sensitivity at 88.2dB & with an actual minimum impedence of 2.6 Ohms at 104Hz.

Listening to a bit-perfect rip of Mike Valentine's superbly recorded compilation Chasing the Dragon demo disc, heard them at the end of some higher-end Linn(Klimax DSM, Klimax Chakra Twin) & Naim(NDS/555PS DR, NAC252/SuperCap, NAP300 DR/300 PS DR) electronics. And was able to carry out a side-by-side comparison with some well run-in & warmed-up B&W 804DIII's & PMC Fact 12's.

In a demo-room that pretty well approximated the size, configuration of doors & windows & ambient acoustics of my own, this is the first time i can recall hearing Focal speakers sing when partnered by Linn & especially Naim electronics.

While revealing of up-stream electronics - especially sources, they seemed airier, more open & silkier in the upper ranges, with a natural subtle warmth in the mid-range & slightly better integrated from top to bottom & extended in the lower registers, than the comparatively brighter & leaner B&W's & drier PMC's.

Needless to say. To get best out of the Focal Sopra No. II's they really ought to be fed by quality sources & amplifiers.

Even though they're somewhat dearer than the Focal's, i intend to hear them beside the B&W 803DIII's or perhaps even the 802DIII's as they would provide a fairer comparison. That's how good they are.

Regards.

Bobby.

Last edited by Babur72; 12-22-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM

Excellent speakers, and the most balanced in Focal's range IMO.

I have Electras and Arias, and have had heard Diablo and Scala (both V1) several times. Seems to me the Sopra has much of the precision of Utopia, the liveliness of the Electra, and the richness of the Aria. I think they must be no longer designing their crossovers via computer and in anechoic chambers, but actually voicing them too. Much better for it. They've always made fantastic drivers, but now the rest of the package is measuring up.

I think there may be a bigger version on the way as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:57 PM

I have been told that there is a Sopra 3 in the works expected to be around $20K.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I have been told that there is a Sopra 3 in the works expected to be around $20K.
Ooh! Yes please!

If you wouldn't mind indulging me Audio Bill, where did you learn of this news from & how reliable is the source?

I sure do hope this rumour proves true. Perhaps a few more(subtler) finish options would be appreciated.

Regards.

Bob.

Last edited by Babur72; 12-30-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Bob - I heard it from several Focal dealers.