Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
That system is beeautiful!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Wow, wonderful looking system. Love the finish on the speakers

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-30-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Resize photo
Old 06-29-2019, 11:08 AM

I'll chime in!

I have a pair of C7ES3s on Sound Anchor 4 post stands.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Ok, let’s not overstate the actual issue with cabinet vibration. I hear it stated many times that the Harbeth cabinets are “intentionally” designed to resonate. That is pure nonsense. I have the 40.2 and the cabinet is quite well damped - for a conventional wooden cabinet type enclosure. I think that statements made by some people have been misconstrued. What I understood about the cabinets is that if they made the cabinets “more” ridged that the secondary vibrations are shifted to a high frequency that is then less musical.

EVERY type of speaker has primary and undesired secondary vibrations. This included encloses of wood, aluminum, concrete, composites and many others. Even the frames of planar type speakers refract and reflect the vibrations of the radiating surface. So, ALL speakers have “colorations”.

The question for me is -how effectively does the designer understand and deal with those secondary radiations. Some designers are better at this “art” than others. I prefer a speaker that has colorations that are harmonically sympathetic to the music. Some (not all), so called, insert speaker enclosures simply shift the energy vibrations in frequency and more importantly in the time domain making them sound less musical than something seemingly less sophisticated like the Harbeths.

The Harbeth has a particularly musical and organic signature that allows you to enjoy the music. This is not to diminish any other speaker or ones personal preference for a different set of colorations. It is all about choices. We live in the golden of audio. There are so many incredible speakers to chose from. I see no reason to pick out one single design parameter to exclusion of all the others.

I've been considering getting a pair of Harbeths for a while now, but have been giving it much more consideration of late. I check the auction sites almost daily for Harbeths that are for sale. Trying to decide betweeen 30.1s or the C-7ES3.

Haven't heard the C-7ES3s (yet), but I've heard 30.1s with entry-level C-J tube amplification (ET-3 and LP66S), and it was one of the most musically-satisfying systems I've ever heard, regardless of price. A good buddy who had never them before was with me on that visit, and his thought was that they might sound, "too beautiful".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:28 AM

I love my C-7ES3s. Didn’t get to listen to the 30.1s. Would love to get the 40.2s but I’m not sure they would fit in my space.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
I love my C-7ES3s. Didn’t get to listen to the 30.1s. Would love to get the 40.2s but I’m not sure they would fit in my space.

What are your room dimensions?
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 06-30-2019, 12:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know what the (sonic or other) differences are between the 30.1 and C-7ES3, and why one might choose one over the other. Both use the same radial mid/woofer, but I don't know if the tweeters are the same or not. Both are also almost the same dimensions, but the C-7ES3 is slightly larger overall, has a ~24% larger volume.

Regading your space, if you'd like something larger than the C-7ES3, there's the HL-5+.

Maybe some of the Harbeth experts here can enlighten us.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-30-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 PM
McKlipschead

Very satisfied owner of 40th Anniversary edition P3ESR. Waiting impatiently for Walnut 40th Anniversary 40.2's to be built and shipped, looks like late July delivery at best...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
Very satisfied owner of 40th Anniversary edition P3ESR. Waiting impatiently for Walnut 40th Anniversary 40.2's to be built and shipped, looks like late July delivery at best...
Late July is only a week away!

Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 AM
McKlipschead

Default Harbeth owners united thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Late July is only a week away!

Late July is the best case scenario, but your positive thinking is encouraging! These will most likely be my last and favorite pair of speakers. Never was very good at playing the waiting game, pretty soon game over

Last edited by bradleyc; 07-23-2019 at 02:47 AM.