AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Default TT preamp

I have read a number of Stereophile reviews regarding TT preamps. There are many TT preamps to choose from and most receive a favorable review.

Could some of you please share the reasons for your TT preamp choice as well as any that you previously had, and replaced. The choices seem infinite and price is often not the deciding factor.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Channel View Post
I have read a number of Stereophile reviews regarding TT preamps. There are many TT preamps to choose from and most receive a favorable review.

Could some of you please share the reasons for your TT preamp choice as well as any that you previously had, and replaced. The choices seem infinite and price is often not the deciding factor.

Thanks!
Phono stages are something that only you can decide which brand/features are useful. For me, I like SS for a phono stage, tubes tend to make analog too laid back for me.
I would suggest 2 brands to seriously look at-SS: check out Naim Audio/tubes: check out Audio Research. I don't see any reason to spend more than $5K on a phono stage. Boulder has a new phono stage in the range of $30k- I don't see many going for this,not even the hard core vinyl junkies.

Last edited by gregswaim; 04-09-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM

What is your budget?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 PM

I actually tried the Ayre P-5XE recently. Wasn't to expensive and came with pretty good reviews. Well, it wasn't as good as the phono stage in the C1000and it didnt provide as many options. To say the least it's no longer in the rack, its on Audiogon.

The guy that sells my stuff for me got an email from somebody at Ayre. He insisted that I really needed 500 hours for the Ayre to break in to sound its best, whatever. If anything I ever bought from McIntosh took 500 hours to sound right i'd douse it with lighter fluid and toss a match on it.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC45 View Post
I actually tried the Ayre P-5XE recently. Wasn't to expensive and came with pretty good reviews. Well, it wasn't as good as the phono stage in the C1000and it didnt provide as many options. To say the least it's no longer in the rack, its on Audiogon.

The guy that sells my stuff for me got an email from somebody at Ayre. He insisted that I really needed 500 hours for the Ayre to break in to sound its best, whatever. If anything I ever bought from McIntosh took 500 hours to sound right i'd douse it with lighter fluid and toss a match on it.
Yep, it either sounds right "out of the box" or it doesn't.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM

I am hoping to stay around $5000 for the phono preamplifier, but I can go higher if need be.

Interestingly enough, the Ayre phono preamp was on my consideration list.

The Sim Audio phono preamp at $1400 gets raves reviews, but I wonder how it can match components costing 3 to 5 times its price. Maybe they are all over priced and the Sim Audio LP5.3 is more in line with the technology involved. I did see that Sim Audio has now added a separate/external power supply for their LP5.3 phono preamp. Lowering the noise floor is certainly beneficial, but I wonder what else this external power supply would do to warrant its addition.

E.A.R. is another on the list.

I, too, prefer to stay solid state which rules out several. As some of you make your own choices or upgrades, please share your findings. I never realized how many phono preamps were available. It's amazing how far vinyl playback has come in recent years.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I am hoping to stay around $5000 for the phono preamplifier, but I can go higher if need be.

The Sim Audio phono preamp at $1400 gets raves reviews, but I wonder how it can match components costing 3 to 5 times its price. Maybe they are all over priced and the Sim Audio LP5.3 is more in line with the technology involved. I did see that Sim Audio has now added a separate/external power supply for their LP5.3 phono preamp. Lowering the noise floor is certainly beneficial, but I wonder what else this external power supply would do to warrant its addition.

I, too, prefer to stay solid state which rules out several. As some of you make your own choices or upgrades, please share your findings. I never realized how many phono preamps were available. It's amazing how far vinyl playback has come in recent years.
If I were going to get a SS phono stage it would be one of the Naim Audio Models and one their power supplies. Naim may not appeal to you though in sound,but for me it does the trick. I'll eventually want a MC pickup(Lyra) so a phono stage for me is only a matter of time. The best advice is to go and audition these products on your own and leave the mag reviews at home- trust your ears instead and you'll make the right choice.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:

In that price range and solid state, many guys really like the "Einstein Turntable's Choice". http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=7
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Very interesting ... I will definitely look into these phono preamps. The Einstein is very appealing to the eye. I like unique designs.

Thanks to Both of You!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC45 View Post
The guy that sells my stuff for me got an email from somebody at Ayre. He insisted that I really needed 500 hours for the Ayre to break in to sound its best, whatever.
This makes NO sense whatsoever to me. Let's look at this statement, and let's assume that others, besides you, voiced a similar concern since the Ayre spokesperson had this canned statement in the ready.

IF the product sounds best when it has reached a minimum break-in period of 500 hours, WHY would they not run the Ayre, in-house, for 500 hours before boxing it up and sending it off to the dealer???

Who would know? Who would care?
Same warranty, new in box, etc. etc.

You would think that they would want their product performing at its very best when the client makes the purchase and begins using it. Otherwise, like the example on hand, disappointment leads to an Audiogon sale, and a unfavorable owner comment thereafter.

This is no different than the way we'd handle a sculpture sale. If we received consistent feedback that people really felt my wife's bronze, outdoor sculptures looked their best once they had weathered a few months of rain, wind, and sunshine, you can be sure that we'd store them outdoors for several months before making them available for sale.

Ayre disappointed one customer and potentially lost others through word of mouth. I find that practice to be unhealthy for long term success especially in a highly competitive environment like phono preamplification.