AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 04-13-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
From the 'specs' on their website: Gain: 7 (16.9db) or 1.5 (3.5 db), via rear switch.
The primary source of heat in tubes is from the heater. Additional heat from actual use is low by comparison. Small signal tubes, such as those in the Valhalla 2, should easily last 5000hr and more. Many radios from the 1930s are still working fine with their original small signal tubes in place. Use whatever sounds best to your ears. Replacement tubes from Schiit are quite inexpensive.
Thanks... Yeah, I saw those specs... I guess I'll continue using them with high gain and continue to enjoy "life" without worrying too much about things that might not the relevant....

Have a great weekend!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Retired

Will post my thoughts once I roll some GL 6922s into the Valhalla 2. Likely won't be until June, due to travel. Serge reports good things from them in his Valhalla 2.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Will post my thoughts once I roll some GL 6922s into the Valhalla 2. Likely won't be until June, due to travel. Serge reports good things from them in his Valhalla 2.
JJ's E88CC's are quite affordable... and I'm quite happy with their performance... I'll love to try Gold Lions at one point though...
Old 04-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Retired

tricolor - check with Bob (member Vintage Tube) for those GLs. He has attractive pricing and great service.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Dear musiclover friends!

I have a pair of hd600 and thinking of buying the valhalla 2 and I have some questions bothering me. My first question is, is this combo too relaxed, laid back and sleepy? I like to be engaged by the music I listen to for 3-4 hours long and I want it to keep me interesting. I don't mean harsh treble by that, but more of a lively, interesting sound.

My second, does it give the hd600 a thicker base line? I'm using the fiio e10k, and I think my headphones are far from their real potential, but thinking of using the e10k as a dac, rather then my motherboards dac. What do you think?

My third and last, I heard the distortion of tubes is a pleasant thing, but valhalla 2 is not so tubey sounding. How far it is from the tubey sound? Does it have that kind of distortion, so that I feel that it is a tube amp but with more accuracy, or how should I imagine it?

I really appreciate every answer and experience, thank you!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Retired

Certainly enjoy mine with the HD650s. Long listening session or short.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Smile

Jorden, folks! Hope all is well!

I can't really compare to another tube, as the Valhalla 2 has been my first tube experience (other than listening to guitar amps every now and then), so the only thing I can say is that it does sound pretty good to me... I can definitely listen as "background" music while reading/cooking/etc and really sit down and relax and ENJOY the music!

It fits well my needs... both as a headphone amp (GS1000i and Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250 Ohm) and as a pre amp...

Cheers!