AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Talking Salon 2 with a subwoofer for a Theater ...... where do you cross over ?

When I was shopping for speakers a few years back I ran the Stereophile demo disc on a dozen high end speaker systems for a bass extension test - The Salons got down to 40hz before the speakers transitioned to the port - Pretty amazing - Only other speaker I tested that came close was the Wilson Sophia - Now at 40Hz there is not a lot of musical information except for Bach organ fugues and synthesizer parts so for music listening I have my McIntosh go full range pure stereo and I get great tonal balance with well defined bass

Home theater is another topic - Star ship engines, nuclear explosions and dinosaur stomping movies all have effects that benefit from a subwoofer - My current set up is cross the Voice center channel at 80Hz, the Salons at 40 Hz and use the McIntosh processor's high filter for the sub at 57 Hz

Since Revel's Salon is one of the few speakers to get authoritative bass in the lowest octaves we are all in a club onto ourselves ...... curious where other folks with Salons & Subs use for crossover points

Last edited by all2ears; 03-30-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
When I was shopping for speakers a few years back I ran the Stereophile demo disc on a dozen high end speaker systems for a bass extension - The Salons got down to 40hz before the speakers transitioned to the port - Pretty amazing - Only other speaker I tested that came close was the Wilson Sophia - Now at 40Hz there is not a lot of musical information except for Bach organ fugues and synthesizer parts so for music listening I have my McIntosh go full range pure stereo and I get great tonal balance with well defined bass

Home theater is another topic - Star ship engines, nuclear explosions and dinosaur stomping movies all have effects that benefit from a subwoofer - My current set up is cross the Voice center channel at 80Hz, the Salons at 40 Hz and use the McIntosh processor's high filter for the sub at 57 Hz

Since Revel's Salon is one of the few speakers to get authoritative bass in the lowest octaves we are all in a club onto ourselves ...... curious where other folks with Salons & Subs use for crossover points
Man, I love (good) subs!! Think your 80hz for center and 40 for main is pretty spot on. I used to cross my center channel a bit higher, since it was close to the floor I found 100hz cleared up the floor reinforcement.

I love subs for music systems as much as I love em for HT. Granted, I don't have Salons, but I used to run subs with my B&W 802 set up for 2 channel listening. 2 Velodynes for several years and then 2 monster SVS ported subs. Just freeing up the speakers from 60 hz or so makes them so much more dynamic.

I was using an outboard cross over and would usually dick around with the setting constantly, but I would always come back to the 60 to 70 hz range. My crossover had a 24 db / octave filter(the professional studio standard) not sure what the slope is in your Mac.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 AM

I got my Salon 2s without a sub in a 2channel system I had myA/V enthusiast son listening and he could not believe all the bass that was coming out without a sub. I'm ok without it😜
Old 06-27-2019, 01:01 AM

I took a different approach in order to maximize the flexibility available in ensuring "ideal" bass reproduction. Rather than purchasing Salons, I purchase the Studios along with two Sub-30s. I am sufficiently pleased that I have never sought a replacement for my speakers on what now is 14 years. Since I also have a Theta Casablanca IV, which incorporates both Dirac Live equalization as well as an extremely comprehensive electronic crossover, I have chosen 40 Hz as the crossover point.