AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-22-2021, 12:52 PM

Default XVX Spiked With Acoustic Diode

Below are the spiking pics. It went perfectly. Better than I could ever have expected. XVX sounded fabulous before spiking. First listening impression: Sounds remarkably better now. I am super pleased.

Left rear.

Notice there is no nut used in my spiking system. They were careful to leave enough of the thread exposed for easy removal should the need ever arise.

Now for right XVX.

Final result.

The solidity with which these speakers are anchored to the floor is a light year beyond my old spike with the sliders. The blunt spikes sink minimally into the hardwood. The XVX is now exactly 1 5/8 inches off the floor, both speakers and perfectly level. Much more consistent than with the old spikes which varied between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches. It was the best they could manage with the old spikes. Hope you enjoy the pics. I am incredibly pleased.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-22-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:36 PM

Ooh I forgot about your ceiling clearance issues. So that's not really a standard install, normally would have nuts and floor washers.

But, how does it sound?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Ooh I forgot about your ceiling clearance issues. So that's not really a standard install, normally would have nuts and floor washers.

But, how does it sound?
Marc, it is far different than a standard install. The spikes are blunt and much shorter. The sliders do not improve the spiking. In fact they are detrimental. The nuts also add nothing to the spiking other than insuring adequate tread for easy removal.

As for how the XVX sounds, the transient response has been significantly improved, especially in the bass. I'll have more to report when I have listened longer. Remember, I have gone from sub optimal spiking to the very best, so already I can hear a significantly cleaner sound. Also, I'm thrilled with the look. The Acoustic Diodes are quite beautiful. The speakers weren't moved at all. They jacked up the front, then the rear of each speaker being careful to protect the rear firing tweeter. Turns out the jacking up did not appreciably raise the height of the XVX, so my fears of having to re-measure did not materialize. I thought the speaker might have to be moved our of position in order to spike because of the low ceiling. This would have caused tremendous complication. Honestly, it's like the speakers were made for my room. Wilson, custom made my Acoustic Diodes. That's the kind of company they are. Remember, they gave me a brand new Watch Controller when my first one malfunctioned, which then resulted in my purchase of a new Thor. My additional Pedestals just arrived for my MVP 851 and I have replaced the 9 lb. Pedestals previously under my 881 with the new 25 lb. rated Pedestals. I got the weight incorrect. The 881 weighs 29.5 lbs. which is over the 9 lb. weight limit for 9 lb. Pedestals. The 851 weighs 20 lbs. so is within the 9 lb. weight rating for 9 lb. Pedestals.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-22-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM

The difference reminds me of the difference between a proper alignment and miss alignment of the various modules. When the men left after the first install I was blown away by the XVX. But something didn't sound exactly right. The sound stage was low and shifted slightly to the right but the greatness of the speaker could not be masked by this. Two more subsequent attempts by the dealer about two weeks apart resulted in a locked in beautifully focused transparent sound. Each improvement in the time alignment resulted in an easy to hear improvement in an already great sound in the form of better focus and clarity. I also learned about the settings because I checked them myself, not trusting the dealer at all.

It's this type improvement I'm hearing with the new Diodes. However, the bass is much improved. I believe this to be the result of the incredible solidity with which the XVX is now grounded. All micro movement is greatly reduced on the heavy bass whacks, resulting in greatly improved impact, if you can believe it. I also think (hope) I understand much more about Wilson spiking system, than if I had had a normal ceiling. I believe I understand the function of each piece of the system. My old system had no diode and no all tread length, only a nut and a spike and the nut contributed zero to improving the stability or sound. So it was inferior but I wanted the XVX nevertheless. About 1.5 years ago I took the biggest audio gamble of my life with the purchase of my XVX. I literally rolled the dice (although careful research greatly improved my odds for success). Now I have achieved an XVX system significantly better than the original. The Acoustic Diode is a huge winner and beautiful too.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-22-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 PM

Pic of new TV also installed today.

Pic of 20 plus year old downstairs custom installed Bose Acoustimass system.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:02 PM

I think the bass is where the greatest improvement lies. The transient response and character of the bass is now totally equal to the rest of the system. Before, the mid and especially the upper bass might have been a tad slow compared to the mid and treble.

I think Marc's analysis may be more pertinent than mine because I went from a sub optimal spike to the best. There really is a very significant improvement in transient response across the board but more so in the bass. Before the XVX was lightning fast with tremendous pace. Now it is even faster, easy to hear, and especially in the bass. The sound has noticeably more life and there is zero harshness. Harshness has always been my most objectionable complaint about a speaker. The XVX has a crystalline quality in the treble that you don't hear with other speakers. It absolutely has the resolution of an elecrostat in the mids and highs.

I have waited patiently for a speaker like this. This doesn't put you in heaven or anything like that but as far as earthly joys are concerned, a top line high end sound system beats anything for me.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the bass is where the greatest improvement lies. The transient response and character of the bass is now totally equal to the rest of the system. Before, the mid and especially the upper bass might have been a tad slow compared to the mid and treble.

I think Marc's analysis may be more pertinent than mine because I went from a sub optimal spike to the best. There really is a very significant improvement in transient response across the board but more so in the bass. Before the XVX was lightning fast with tremendous pace. Now it is even faster, easy to hear, and especially in the bass. The sound has noticeably more life and there is zero harshness. Harshness has always been my most objectionable complaint about a speaker. The XVX has a crystalline quality in the treble that you don't hear with other speakers. It absolutely has the resolution of an elecrostat in the mids and highs.

I have waited patiently for a speaker like this. This doesn't put you in heaven or anything like that but as far as earthly joys are concerned, a top line high end sound system beats anything for me.
Very well put! It looks like my spikes will be a while, but I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:56 PM

Sent to my friend at Wilson:

"Hi...

The new diode is fantastic. It really is. I was skeptical because of how well the XVX is constructed that something that small could make any real difference. Yes, these things are worth the money and much more. Of course, I had a substandard spiking system, so I had no way to compare to a standard XVX spike. Basically, "everything" sounds better. Soundstage has broadened out. Bass tighter better launch. Even more clarity, etc... And they are so much better looking. Many expensive speakers have elaborate bases that do not touch the floor by means of a pointed spike but rather a rounded foot. The Magico Q7 Mk II is the speaker that comes to mind. Since then, Magico has come out with much more elaborate bases/footers on their M series but still no pointed spike.

On my XVX since the spike length is so tiny, you must look closely to see it, so the Acoustic Diode looks to the layperson and also to me sitting on my sofa like a rounded footer similar in shape to the Mk II. It's very beautiful under my XVX. I like this look vs the pointed spike look just as well. So, I have a pointed spike and the full Acoustic Diode system, but it looks like a beautiful, rounded stainless steel footer, even though it isn't. It perfectly matches my stainless-steel trim and aluminum gantry. It doesn't look like an afterthought. It's fantastic!

The blunter spike length indents my hardwood perfectly. No slider needed. The XVX is extremely solidly grounded, and the speakers are now the same height one inch lower than the conventional diode in the same locations because they did not have to be moved. This one inch is critical to me. When I go downstairs, I will send you some pics. To say I am pleased would be a gross understatement. I never thought I could ever experience a complete XVX system in all its glory because of my low ceiling. And the look is so much improved.

Best

Charles"
Old 07-29-2021, 03:49 PM

Left front

Left rear

Panorama

Last edited by Charles; 07-29-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:57 AM

Brave decision in my opinion to directly couple the (blunt) spikes to the wooden floor with these fantastic but very heavy speakers. Are you able to keep the speakers perfectly level as I imagine the weight will not be the same on all four spikes.

My comment is not ment to be negative, but just interested how this works out.