Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Here is one of the winners...

Smetana:
String Quartet No. 1 in E minor 'From My Life'
String Quartet No. 2 in D minor
Pavel Haas Quartet

Super intense music and playing. I can see why these guys were selected.
Listened for the second time to this.
Indeed a winner on all accounts.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 04-27-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
John Sheppard - Media Vita
Stile Antico

This is heavenly music.
Polyphony at its best.
Stile Antico is one of the top ensembles of the genre.
Listening to this again.
An absolute favourite here in the house!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

A bit of Mono:
Haydn - Cello Concerto
Boccherini - Cello Concerto
Janos Starker
Philharmonia Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini Cond.
Wonderful mono recording from Angel Records, Superb Play!
Angel Records 35725 (mono)
Regards,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1836[1].jpg (81.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Still in a mono mood:
The Art of Dennis Brain
Beethoven, Mozart, Dittersdorf, Haydn, Schumann and Dukas
Wonderful French Horn Play with some cuts spectacular and others obviously dated.
Seraphim Records 60040 (1966) Recordings from 1944-1953
Regards,
Jim

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 AM

This 7-disc set arrived today. I started with the Fantasy in C Op.17. Nice, very nice.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Life is beautiful

Telemann - 12 fantasies for viola solo
Ori Kam

The musician did the transcriptions from the violin solo pieces himself and it works wonderfully!
Very nice album.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Default Beethoven: Sinfonia Eroica

I also got from Presto Classical this new SACD release...

Beethoven:
Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica'
Coriolan Overture, Op. 62
Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall

As I've written many times here, Savall's Eroica is one of my favorite interpretations of anything by anyone. This is an SACD remaster of the magnificent 1994 Auvidis Fontalis release. This redo slightly improves on the details of the previous recording, but I would say the improvement is marginal - kind of hard to top such a great original recording. The good news is that this SACD makes this essential recording widely available again as the original has been out of print for a while.

The booklet included with the SACD describes the story behind the actual recording. Savall says that the session started at 6 pm with a lengthy process of adjustment and balancing with two pair of stereo microphones. To achieve the "desired sound balance" took until 11 pm so the first actual takes of the Eroica movements took place after midnight with the Marcia Funebre recorded after 7:30 am the same morning. Savall says they had never played the Funeral March with such drama and emotion. So they pulled an all-nighter recording these pieces. This story makes sense because you can hear some roughness in the playing, perhaps from the musicians being weary-eyed playing at 4 am, but in my view that slight jaggedness enhances the impact of the period performance.

Savall says that even though the recording took place in 1994 he set it aside for 3 years so he would have a more objective idea of what he had achieved. In 1997 he listened to the recording and decided to release it.

Here is the July 1997 Gramophone review of the original release by Richard Osborne:
Quote:
There is a real sense of burgeoning excitement at the start of Savall’s performance; and the sound of the orchestra really does conjure up the sense of one being transported back to some dusky Viennese concert room c1805 where the musicians are as dangerous a crew as the militias roaming the mud-filled streets outside. Yet as the musical arguments begin to multiply and deepen, so the performance gets more garbled. For all Savall’s skill in moulding and modifying the pulse, there’s a jauntiness about parts of the first movement development section which muddles and trivializes the music.

Again, in the Marcia funebre, the Savall performance is astonishing for the mood it conjures. The drum (calf skin head, hard sticks) is fierce and seductive, an instrument of war that suggests also the soft thud of death. Savall’s brass are similarly remarkable, at once brazen and mellow-sounding. The horn section alone – Thomas Muller, Raul Diaz and Javier Bonet – deserves an award for the way the players colour and characterize this astonishing music.

There is no disguising the fact that Savall’s thinking about tempo is controversial. It is all very modern: post-modern, even. (After Savall, conductors like Norrington and Gardiner sound distressingly ‘safe’.) It is typical of Savall that though he conducts very quick, very earthy, very exciting accounts of the Eroica’s Scherzo (those horns again!) and finale, he still slows up pretty massively for the finale’s oboe-led Poco andante at bar 348. It is a performance, none the less, that I shall hang to for the sonic profile alone. The Auvidis recording is first-rate: warm and immediate.

Last edited by cma29; 04-29-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I also got from Presto Classical this new SACD release...

Beethoven:
Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica'
Coriolan Overture, Op. 62
Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall

As I've written many times here, Savall's Eroica is one of my favorite interpretations of anything by anyone. This is an SACD remaster of the magnificent 1994 Auvidis Fontalis release. This redo slightly improves on the details of the previous recording, but I would say the improvement is marginal - kind of hard to top such a great original recording. The good news is that this SACD makes this essential recording widely available again as the original has been out of print for a while.

The booklet included with the SACD describes the story behind the actual recording. Savall says that the session started at 6 pm with a lengthy process of adjustment and balancing with two pair of stereo microphones. To achieve the "desired sound balance" took until 11 pm so the first actual takes of the Eroica movements took place after midnight with the Marcia Funebre recorded after 7:30 am the same morning. Savall says they had never played the Funeral March with such drama and emotion. So they pulled an all-nighter recording these pieces. This story makes sense because you can hear some roughness in the playing, perhaps from the musicians being weary-eyed playing at 4 am, but in my view that slight jaggedness enhances the impact of the period performance.

Savall says that even though the recording took place in 1994 he set it aside for 3 years so he would have a more objective idea of what he had achieved. In 1997 he listened to the recording and decided to release it.

Here is the July 1997 Gramophone review of the original release by Richard Osborne:
Carlos, thank you for your review!
I'll be able to listen to my copy this weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Schubert - Impromptus
Radu Lupu

We can only imagine what could have been composed if Schubert had lived as long as for example Haydn...
These are simply wonderful pieces.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Carlos, thank you for your review!
I'll be able to listen to my copy this weekend.
Excellent, Bart. I hope you enjoy it. I recommend you listen to it a little bit louder than your usual setting.