AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Thanks Jim. I figured there could be a matching cover; makes the appearance a bit less 'technical', imo.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:52 PM

I'm not going to comment very much beyond this on the sonics of the XVX. I am very satisfied with my sound. Especially my bass because of the reservations some have expressed about the ability of Mac to handle a speaker like this in the bass. The XVX is about the only speaker I have had that actually has improved with time. I have always been skeptical of breakin times, etc. But the XVX sounds better with time. I am extremely satisfied with the XVX and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Although expensive at 329,000.00, it is I think one of the very best values on the high end market. It's build quality, mechanical complexity, advanced driver technology, and sound all contribute to the validity this statement.

Last edited by Charles; 01-18-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:18 PM

Heard the XVX at Innovative last night. You are one lucky guy Charles. And the base---OMG--I'm still shaking. Never exaggerated, but stomach shaking and spine cracking if it is in the recording as it was in spades in one electronic track Peter McGrath played which had a lot of activity at 22hz. Absolutely no distortion or overhang at that frequency. Not to mention the rest of the frequency range which was fabulous as well.
By the way, Peter is a gem of a guy who loves music and knows how it should be recorded and played back. I spoke with him for about 15 minutes and learned hours worth of information. Wilson is lucky to have him and he's happy to be there.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,

Last edited by jpgr4blu; 01-18-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:29 PM

Jpgr4blu, I couldn't agree with you more about the bass. I have a post in the Mac Forum where I have posted some pics with some comments. There is nothing I can say about my sound that is meaningful anymore. I am very happy. The XVX Project was a ridiculous gamble on my part. I never saw the actual check. My adviser said I could afford it but my banker literally laid an egg on that fateful morning when I actually had to cough up the cash. I literally had to instruct him in no uncertain terms on the phone to issue the check. But believe it or not, I have made it all back in the market since then.

p.s. I have spoken to Peter 2-3 times on the phone. He was very helpful with my Alexx purchase. He's very knowledgeable and a great guy.

Last edited by Charles; 01-19-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:38 PM

Just received word from Wilson that my XVX is registered and under 5 year warranty. Serial numbers 039 and 040. The sound continues to improve. Downloaded Dukes of Dixieland Bourbon Street from HD tracks. When I was just a kid I had many of their prerecorded tapes played on my Dad's Tanberg 64X tape deck, Bozak Concert Grands, Mac C-22 pre and 225 tube stereo amp. Even back then I liked prerecorded tapes better than vinyl. I loved the Dukes. The download was fantastic. Brought back a lot of fond childhood memories.

Last edited by Charles; 01-22-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:27 PM

Old 02-29-2020, 04:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-KhYh4FmX4
Old 02-29-2020, 10:02 PM

There is another event, now in Northern California.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Music lovers Berkeley.jpg (96.1 KB, 58 views)
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:35 PM

I'm totally satisfied with my 1.25's. They are some of the coolest amps I've ever seen and sound as good as they look. Just on a lark I called my friend at Mac. I was on a long walk. We talked for about an hour. The MC2KW will probably be upgraded soon, sometime next year. If they are I may buy 3 of them providing I can find a way to fit them in my room. I believe I see a way they will easily fit. It's 3 pc's per amp but each Niagara 5000 has 4 HC receptacles and I have 3 of them. So it will be 6 more Dragon pc's. I've been told I have more money than I can ever spend. I may test this statement. I told him to put me down for 3. We will see.

Last edited by Charles; 03-06-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:05 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've been told I have more money than I can ever spend. I may test this statement. I told him to put me down for 3. We will see.
Now Charles, in order to test that theory, you’re gonna have to not only buy more expensive equipment than McIntosh, but also several countries and some exotic cars you know.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3