AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 06-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Grasshopper and John,
Thanks for the input. I will make sure I get in some long sessions (2-3 hour listening session be okay)and pay attention for fatigue. Wanting to do laundry instead of listen to the next song will be my clue. I am confident my dealer will loan the equipment for a weekend and possible an entire week so lots of listening should occur.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

Enjoy and good luck!
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeylee View Post
Grasshopper and John,

Thanks for the input. I will make sure I get in some long sessions (2-3 hour listening session be okay)and pay attention for fatigue. Wanting to do laundry instead of listen to the next song will be my clue. I am confident my dealer will loan the equipment for a weekend and possible an entire week so lots of listening should occur.

A week minimum should be your aim, as in my experience other things come up and prevent your intended listening sessions. And you don't want to be rushed... Good luck wth the home trial.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks Grasshopper and John!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
... I can appreciate the trust you have in your dealer. I trust several very good dealers myself. None the less, their ears aren't your ears, their room isn't your room, and their system is not your system. Recommendations from a trusted source are valuable, but not as valuable as direct personal experience.
This is excellent counsel, and would add only that especially once you are into the high-end, preference is as important as anything else.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Hey cleeds,

I had to chuckle when I read "high end" in you post because I am learning that is a relative term and moving target.

The preference part is something I need to get used to because I tend to be a "there is an absolute correct answer or choice" kind of guy. I appreciate you point it that out because it will definitely help me remember to breathe when deciding. Fortunately, we have found out my wife likes the same sound as me and she has incredible ears when it comes to what fits the bill.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 PM

I definitely recommend the in home demo of the Simaudio 700i. I owned one a few years ago and I did not care for it with the system I had in place at the time. It sounds quite different than McIntosh and you will want to make sure this is the way to go.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 06-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Most of the time choices in our hobby are not black and white. Many questions are not answered with a simple yes or no. I have owned the Sim I-7 (predicessor to the I-700) and the Mac MA7000. With the I-700 be prepared for a totally different sound. It will be far more analytical, detailed, faster and have tighter bass. If you enjoy the warm and softer sound of Mac the I-700 may not meet your needs.

Live with the I-700 for a while and make a decision based on extended listening in your system.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:39 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for your encouragement to live with the Moon 700i for a period of time.

I was at a very nice Simaudio event this weekend and heard their new 888 monoblock amps through a pair of Rockport Technology Cygnus speakers. Holy smokes! It was so wonderful it was almost a spiritual time

After chatting at length with my dealer, an exec from Simaudio, and another rep I trust a great deal from Grand Prix Audio, I also listened to and fondled a Moon 600i, since my dealer does not have a 700i available. My wife and I are now living with the 600i at home to see what we think. While no critical listening was to be done today so it can warm up nice and good, my wife and I are REALLY enjoying what we hear. We will do lots of listening from now through next weekend to make sure the positive first impressions last.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM

After 20-25 hours of listening to the Moon 600i over the last four days, my wife and I decided we love what we hear. She is very sensitive to the higher tones and me the lower end. We are hearing music like never before. Both extremes sound like the instruments they are and not just a sound. Cymbals have shimmer without being bright or jarring, and I can tell if the deep bass results from plucking, strumming, bowing, or striking, which I am also hearing now, instead of a unidentifiable low note. The 600i seems to reveal a lot of detail without being analytical like my Krell receiver could be. There were two occasions when I thought my Atria speakers were making a funny noise when it was actually an instrument making a sound we never heard through the Mac. This is not to say the Mac is anything short of incredible. The 600i is just different in a way my wife and I really enjoy.

With the above said, our new Simaudio Moon 700i integrated amp is currently at the border headed to us! We are very excited. ��