AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
In my humble opinion, the DG/DF units could benefit from a complete redesign regarding functions.

But, for example in 2014-2015, the combined sales ratio of those units was only 4.9% of the total Accuphase sales, so I think Accuphase is not so inclined to spend too much r&d money on them.

On the other end, a revised product (for example with a very good digital volume, more inputs, ets) would likely boost sales of for example DG units, but what about the consequent reduced preamplifiers sales?
In 2014-2015 the preamplifiers sales ratio was 20.9%... so I don't think Accuphase would risk loosing that by improving DG functionality...
That's because DF-65 is only for people with active systems, 99% of audiophile speakers are passive, of course is a small % of sales.
They could "do it right" for us the 1%, because most audiophiles want passive speakers and don't care about active benefits and difficult setups.
It wouldn't hurt analog preamp sales because of that.
DG-58 is another story because is only EQ, but they could sell it to people with passive systems, along with their analog preamplifiers, and keep a "done right" all in one DF-65 for active systems, so it won't cannibalize sales.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:32 PM

The DF65 ISN'T only for people with active speakers.

The crossover is also used for people who multi-amplify their speakers.

The DF65 or DF55 is tremendous overkill for bi-ampiing because half the machine literally goes unused, but for tri or quad-ampling it's a great component. PLUS, if you are so inclined, you can run the digital outputs of the DG58 into the digital inputs of the DF55/DF65 and take the analog outputs of the DF55/DF65 crossover to the power amps.

I'm thinking about doing that.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 08-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:05 AM

George Flush,

when I said "hurt analog preamp sales", I mainly referred to an hypothetical DG unit with volume control (and a bit more digital inputs).

With an über-DG like that available, I surely would not have bought an analog preamp just to set the volume and use it with one source like I do...

Last edited by Mattia; 08-17-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:17 AM

The internal DAC of DG58 is sweet and juicy. By adding a DDC, DG58 does same job as my current North Star Design Supremo USB DAC.

Everything is perfect except that DG58 does not support DSD through coax/Opt port. Well, this helps me saving money on DSD format songs. (cheers )
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Owner of a C-3850 and DP-550. I use a streamer using the DAC in the DP550. I will have a A-70. My question is to buy a DC-37 or a DG-58. Assuming the DAC will upgrade my overall Digital experience or should I use a DG-58 to optimize my Digital playback.

I am basically a analogue guy, but always want to improve my SACD and Streaming platform. Thoughts, please???
Transrotor Rondino TT/Graham Phantom II/Airtight PC1s cartridge/Soulution 750 Phono/ Accuphase C-3850 Preamp/ Accuphase DP550 SACD/Airtight 300L amp/ A-70/Piega 311 Speakers/Devore 0/96 Speakers, Bluesound Streamer/. Shunyata Triton and Equitech.

Nordost Valhalla 2 Phono Cable, Nordost and Shunyata IC and Power Cords
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 PM

If your acoustic room is good enough I will recommend DC37. (or wait for DG-68....)

DG58 is fancy but I found its voicing function not suitable for some acoustic environment. In my bedroom it works perfect but in my living room it does not perform well.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM

I had the DP-550 and I still own a DC-37. I've connected the DP-550 via HS-Link with the DC-37 and in parallel the DP-550 directly with the C-3850, so I could switch between the DACs and could compare. There were little nuances in favor of the DC-37.
If you want to improve and to invest I would suggest to go for a DP-560 or DP-720, not for a DC-37 or DG 58.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:10 PM

ktiliao88

Quote:
DG58 is fancy but I found its voicing function not suitable for some acoustic environment. In my bedroom it works perfect but in my living room it does not perform well.
After using mine for about two years, I found out that DG-58 works at his best when it doesn't have to correct too much.
In my opinion it is very good to improve an already fine system in a fine environment, and compared to my other DSP (a mini DSP22D with Dirac) does that with complete transparency in the system and without altering the "original" voice of the system.

Basically now I use it in a well passively corrected and audio dedicated room, to smooth out a bass modal that still persists and to perfectly match the L and R response, that is already good to begin with. The results are clearly noticeable (e.g. in a blind test I can easily tell 100% of the time if the EQ is on or off, wich is not true at all for other comparisons I've done, like between DACS, preamps or power amps), with a better focus on the scene and the bass modal reduced.

In more difficult situations I tried (essentially more lively and/or irregular rooms), Dirac simply works better. If the Accuphase (that in my opinion is more crude regarding measuring and correcting) has to correct too much, often I get an sound that is a bit "unnatural". Don't have any better word to explain the sensation.

Last edited by Mattia; 11-18-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 PM

Mattia,

Thanks for the tips of DG58. I also have both DG58 and miniDSP DDRC-22D but they are now bench players.

My acoustic room is an irregular room. Right now I use complete compensation setup of DG58. The result curve looks beautiful but the sound is not improved. Next time I will try light or mid compensation and hope DG58 shines again.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Right now I use complete compensation setup of DG58. The result curve looks beautiful but the sound is not improved.
I also experienced that: perfectly flat curve (or "line" ), but the sound got somewhat artificial and strange, and I preferred the uncorrected version.

I think the measurement in one point and software correction of the DG-58 is a bit too simple to be able to effectively "perfectly" correct, without introducing in the process some side effects.

So now that I have speakers better suited to my room, and the room passively corrected, I can let the DG-58 do only a smooth voicing, to match small L & R response differences and tame some of the residual 40Hz modal I have.
In the end, using it like that, I find it does a nice job, noticeably improving the sound without sounding strange.

Last edited by Mattia; 11-21-2017 at 05:53 PM.