AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Ok 1st off. Darn you Dan, I am wanting this unit more now than ever. I feel like my K03 as was yours is a great all around unit and moving up not only to a K01, but to an X series K01x was a double leap up!

You sold one but do you still own one of the K03s ?

Ok a few comments, I think that Esoteric should not only kick you back a few of their top notch sacd disc and or a few $$$$, but put your review in a PDF link on their home page.

I read and re-read the review, some how I knew, just knew Dan surely put Lee Ritenour on for a spin. Thank GOD down into the meat of a brilliant review the expression on my face on the 1st read went from a opened mouth state of aw to a nodding smile. Yes of course Dan gets it!

I am ecstatic, happy and even though it was your check book that put forth the work to invest in this awesome machine; I some how feel relieved for you that you are satisfied and a proud new papa!

Thanks again Dan for not only a great review but all the time and love you invested into yours and all of ours passion.
Dave.......You're right. I couldn't get through an equipment review without playing some Lee Ritenour. I have 10 of his CD's and one high-res download of Rhythm Sessions. That recording and Six String Theory are excellent recordings for auditioning new audio components. The K-01X does full justice to these recording. "L.A. By Bike" from Rhythm Sessions has some of the best recorded bass I have ever heard on a recording. The dynamics of the drums is first rate, too. This album is exceptional.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

The K-01X is sounding supremely sublime with 412 hours on it. I am completely blown away by the sound of this player/DAC. It is nearly impossible to find the most accurate words to describe how listening to the K-01X affects me emotionally. It is exciting and relaxing at the same time. The sound thrills me, startles me, engages me, and leaves me wanting more no matter how long I listen. It excels in every respect. I don't think I have tapped my toes or rocked my head this much at any other time in my life. The Esoteric K-01X is incredible. Between the K-01X transport and the Aurender N10 feeding the K-01X coaxial input, the performance is off the chart.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-27-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Your're right.
I only have to select the upsampling mode on my D02X because it hasn't any filter option.
Anyway, i'm always trying to research the best option although it seems to sound better on 4x mode.
The d02x has no filter? Interesting. I don't know if there are filter differences between the k03 and the k01x, but I can't really listen to anything but sl_dly2. Dan says there are no bad settings, and while that may be true, I quickly settled into that filter and I've repeatedly tried others only to be very disappointed. YMMV
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The d02x has no filter? Interesting. I don't know if there are filter differences between the k03 and the k01x, but I can't really listen to anything but sl_dly2. Dan says there are no bad settings, and while that may be true, I quickly settled into that filter and I've repeatedly tried others only to be very disappointed. YMMV
Marc.......The S_DLY2 filter is a short delay filter that is applied to cut off frequencies above 80kHz. Some engineers refer to this as an apodizing filter. My understanding is it eliminates what is referred to as pre-echo. I believe Ayre was the first to develope and use this type of PCM playback filter.

The S_DLY1 filter is is also an apodizing filter but the cutoff frequency is not set, rather it varies depending on the input sampling frequency, so it is applied in a different way to Original, 2Fs, and 4Fs upconversion settings.

The purpose of all the filter settings is the removal of high frequency harmonic components above the human hearing range from the output. Esoteric states that these high frequency harmonics components combined may in certain situations cause noise. I have compared FIR1, FIR2, SDLY1 and SDLY2 against the filters OFF setting. The differences are subtle to my ears. With the upconversion set to 4FS, my preferred upconversion setting, I switch between digital filter OFF and SDLY2. My impression is the SDLY2 digital filter creates a slight improvement is air between voices and instruments. For now I am set on 4FS and SDLY2. I may play with the other settings but I seem to be drawn back to these settings as my preferred sound.

I am not sure I understand what you are referring to when you say you are very disappointed in the other digital filter settings other than SDLY2. What exactly are you experiencing that is so different from the SDLY2 setting that causes this disappointment?

Last edited by jdandy; 02-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The K-01X is sounding supremely sublime with 412 hours on it. I am completely blown away by the sound of this player/DAC. It is nearly impossible to find the most accurate words to describe how listening to the K-01X affects me emotionally. It is exciting and relaxing at the same time. The sound thrills me, startles me, engages me, and leaves me wanting more no matter how long I listen. It excels in every respect. I don't think I have tapped my toes or rocked my head this much at any other time in my life. The Esoteric K-01X is incredible. Between the K-01X transport and the Aurender N10 feeding the K-01X coaxial input, the performance is off the chart.

Congratulations Dan, the K -01X is really a beast!
You do the 412 hours of break in continuously??split between original cd's and digital files via coaxial input??
Thanks a lot!
Pablo
Old 02-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSFREAK View Post
Congratulations Dan, the K -01X is really a beast!
You do the 412 hours of break in continuously??split between original cd's and digital files via coaxial input??
Thanks a lot!
Pablo
Pablo.......I have been playing the K-01X continuously from the moment I first turned it on. It is still playing right now. The bulk of the hours I am putting on it now are using the SPDIF coaxial input. I am using the coaxial output from my Aurender N10 music server to continue an extended break-in. I will be using the coaxial input predominately so this is the one I am concentrating on the most at this time. The K-01X transport has approximately 160 hours on it now. At this moment the K-01X has 424.5 hours on it.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Pablo.......I have been playing the K-01X continuously from the moment I first turned it on. It is still playing right now. The bulk of the hours I am putting on it now are using the SPDIF coaxial input. I am using the coaxial output from my Aurender N10 music server to continue an extended break-in. I will be using the coaxial input predominately so this is the one I am concentrating on the most at this time. The K-01X transport has approximately 160 hours on it now. At this moment the K-01X has 424.5 hours on it.
Exactly like my K-03X, most of the time via Coaxial, the transport has less than 150 hours.
In my case the K-03X plays the 3 first days continuously and turn it off for add the PS Audio P10.After that plays 10 more days 24/7 and turn it off again because we have an entire week of electric storms in my city.In this moment is spinning a cd in repeat mode but the changes with the break in mostly done (more of 450 hours now) are minimum.
Enjoy your K-01X and congrats again Dan
Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Marc.......The S_DLY2 filter is a short delay filter that is applied to cut off frequencies above 80kHz. Some engineers refer to this as an apodizing filter. My understanding is it eliminates what is referred to as pre-echo. I believe Ayre was the first to develope and use this type of PCM playback filter.

The S_DLY1 filter is is also an apodizing filter but the cutoff frequency is not set, rather it varies depending on the input sampling frequency, so it is applied in a different way to Original, 2Fs, and 4Fs upconversion settings.

The purpose of all the filter settings is the removal of high frequency harmonic components above the human hearing range from the output. Esoteric states that these high frequency harmonics components combined may in certain situations cause noise. I have compared FIR1, FIR2, SDLY1 and SDLY2 against the filters OFF setting. The differences are subtle to my ears. With the upconversion set to 4FS, my preferred upconversion setting, I switch between digital filter OFF and SDLY2. My impression is the SDLY2 digital filter creates a slight improvement is air between voices and instruments. For now I am set on 4FS and SDLY2. I may play with the other settings but I seem to be drawn back to these settings as my preferred sound.

I am not sure I understand what you are referring to when you say you are very disappointed in the other digital filter settings other than SDLY2. What exactly are you experiencing that is so different from the SDLY2 setting that causes this disappointment?
Dan, the SDLY_2 filter sounds big and spacious without losing detail. The other filters all sound flat and dull in comparison. Well..maybe not "dull", there is detail, but they don't have the same kind of deep and wide soundstage, and they don't mesmerize me like SDLY_2. I really can't use the others in my room, doesn't make sense because the soundstage just isn't there. I usually use 2x upsampling. I believe the K-01x has up to 8x, but the K-03 has only up to 4x. 4x seems too rolled off to me. Anyway I guess it's all about what each person likes.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Dan, the SDLY_2 filter sounds big and spacious without losing detail. The other filters all sound flat and dull in comparison. Well..maybe not "dull", there is detail, but they don't have the same kind of deep and wide soundstage, and they don't mesmerize me like SDLY_2. I really can't use the others in my room, doesn't make sense because the soundstage just isn't there. I usually use 2x upsampling. I believe the K-01x has up to 8x, but the K-03 has only up to 4x. 4x seems too rolled off to me. Anyway I guess it's all about what each person likes.
Marc.......You are correct. Having the options available is a good thing.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Dan - if my wife notices that my K-03X has morphed into a K-01X, I am blaming you!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,