Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner View Post
definitely this one: https://www.amazon.com/263-Audioques...quest+ethernet

great reviews and free shipping!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Ethernet Cables Matter

I know that this thread is a year old at this point but I still think this is worth mentioning. I use two Ethernet connections from my Xfinity router: one to an Oppo 105D and the other to a PS Audio DS DAC.

Previously, I'd been using Acoustic Revive LAN-PA Ethernet cables for these connections. They "sounded" good but never one to leave well enough alone, I purchased a pair of WireWorld Starlight Cat 8 cables from Ivan (thank you, sir).

Both cables were treated on the audiodharma Cable Cooker for three days each. After swapping out the AR LAN-PA cables for the WW I was immediately struck by what I thought to be an improvement. I do, however, sometimes suffer from the "what's new is better" affliction.

I promptly forgot about it and the WW cables had been in place for four months when for giggles I put the AR cables back into the mix. My first impression was that they sounded quite respectable but then I noticed that something just didn't sound right anymore. Back went the WW and the difference was immediately apparent. The WW cables simply allow more information/detail to come through without sounding hyped or any other negatives that come to mind.

Just wanted to share.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 PM

I'm using oyaide lan cables. Robust build, sturdy plugs. In terms of sound, they do seem better than the buffalo cat7 I've been using.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accudude View Post
I'm using oyaide lan cables. Robust build, sturdy plugs. In terms of sound, they do seem better than the buffalo cat7 I've been using.
I understand everyone has an opinion, and respect that.

Having said that....Ethernet cables (unless defective) will not improve sound, period. I do buy well crafted, CAT7 cables from Blue Jeans, but that is only to insure I get quality, tested cables.

Flame suit on, but don’t waste your time trying to snake oil an arguement.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Default Ethernet Networking Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post

Having said that....Ethernet cables (unless defective) will not improve sound, period. I do buy well crafted, CAT7 cables from Blue Jeans, but that is only to insure I get quality, tested cables.

+1

When people argue USB cables make difference because data transfer between audio gears might not do the same data verifications as in computer world, I can try to listen. But when they say ethernet cables also blah blah, I cannot bear it any more. Come on, it’s just two computers communicating in TCP/IP...
Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post

I understand that there are good grounds for lan cables not being able to improve sound at all. That's why I'm just going for something a little better built and relatively inexpensive, and not those "real" audiophile items. My hypothesis (or hallucination) is that the better build possibly lead to better vibration and electronic noise going into system somehow.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 AM

The whole Ethernet PHY layer discussion is an interesting one with audiophile routers and cabling now becoming more popular and widespread.

Suffice it to say the data gets there no matter what cable and router you use because TCP/IP is a handshake protocol.

What’s not apparent to me is the effects of EMI/RFI and device to device grounding and isolation that can vary based on the PHY implementation of the router/cables/devices. Lots of variables there. Good news is the Ethernet PHY is already transformer coupled and isolated by design, thereby eliminating a lot of potential issues out of the gate.

Far be it from me to comment or denigrate someone’s auditory experience with Ethernet components*.

Their experience is indeed their own, and to say these components don’t or can’t improve someone’s auditory experience is an statement that only they can answer, because it is personal.

*You can substitute lots of things for Ethernet components, like vibration isolation, speaker cables, interconnects, USB reclockers, analog power supplies, Tice Clocks, etc. The list is very long. The arguments for and against are tedious.

The only thing you can really say is that, to my ears, in my system, changing these components either did or did not make an audible difference to me.

That’s the kind of discourse that makes this forum unique and a good place to hang out.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-28-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The whole Ethernet PHY layer discussion is an interesting one with audiophile routers and cabling now becoming more popular and widespread.

Suffice it to say the data gets there no matter what cable and router you use because TCP/IP is a handshake protocol.

What’s not apparent to me is the effects of EMI/RFI and device to device grounding and isolation that can vary based on the PHY implementation of the router/cables/devices. Lots of variables there. Good news is the Ethernet PHY is already transformer coupled and isolated by design, thereby eliminating a lot of potential issues out of the gate.

Far be it from me to comment or denigrate someone’s auditory experience with Ethernet components*.

Their experience is indeed their own, and to say these components don’t or can’t improve someone’s auditory experience is an statement that only they can answer, because it is personal.

*You can substitute lots of things for Ethernet components, like vibration isolation, speaker cables, interconnects, USB reclockers, analog power supplies, Tice Clocks, etc. The list is very long. The arguments for and against are tedious.

The only thing you can really say is that, to my ears, in my system, changing these components either did or did not make an audible difference to me.

That’s the kind of discourse that makes this forum unique and a good place to hang out.

Tom
Hence why I said I respect everyone’s opinion, because it is indeed personal.

The fact that the listener can “hear” a difference is truly subjective, whether factual or not.

IMO, the only reason you are seeing more audiophile routers and Ethernet cables bcomng more and more prevalent is the widespread acceptance and growth of digital. I think many audiophiles out there don’t fully understand certain technologies, and wishful upgrading ensues.

At the end of the day...it is an obvious personal choice, so do whatever makes you happy!

Old 08-31-2018, 01:47 PM

I have zero experience with ethernet cables as they relate to audio gear, but for simple networking, you do not need anything fancy. I've been in data centers of some large financial institutions and trading firms where fractions of a second make a huge difference and IT spend is no object. Are they running $1000 ultra pure silver oxygen free cables? Nope, same cables I've seen used in K12 schools.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM

I copied this from a response I read. I think this sums it nicely.

The claim here is not that the digital bits on the cable (via the Ethernet frames -> IP frames -> TCP packets) are being altered. The claim, especially in regards to ground loops, is that the ethernet cable is connecting the ground of power going into the switch and the ground of the power going into the device. Thus, you have a system that has “2 grounds”. It is then further claimed that these ground loops, using the hardware given, produce a notable hum or degradation of quality in the D->A conversion, or even later in the chain in analog.