AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Hi Myjazz123,

I own the Salon 2. Unfortunately, I've never heard the Studio 2, so I can't help you there. The stock jumper bars are adequate but you will get much better sound with aftermarket jumpers (i.e. Cardas Clear Jumpers). I've read on some previous threads that a minimum of 300 watts or even 500 watts per channel are needed for the Salon 2. I honestly have not found this to be the case. My Pass XA-100.5 do a great job controlling the Salon 2, play to very high volume levels and produce robust and impactful bass. I have not yet seen any reason to move up the Pass ladder to a higher powered model.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM

Default Where do you cross over your Salon2 Speakers

My favorite characteristic (and their are many) of the Salon2 is their versatility - They simply don't get in the way of the source - Great speakers for music and they also do a fantastic job on movies - I was curious that since the Salon2 speakers will go down to 20hz where were other owners setting their cross over points

For music listening I default to pure stereo and completely bypass my Velodyne DD10 Sub- Tight pure bass ... you can hear Ray Brown's fingers hit the strings on his upright bass

For movies I've been using the Sub and playing around below the THX level of 80Hz - The standard cross over point of a McIntosh MX150 processor for speakers set to large is 40Hz -Got to love those McIntosh engineers as the lowest note on a bass guitar is 41 Hz - Plus side is that on movie scenes with back ground music the distracting subwoofer "boom" is minimal - Down side is a star ship engine loses a bit of its edge - I'm currently auditioning around 45 Hz

Curious where other Salon owners are setting their cross over point
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hi Ken, I thought i'd chime in as I previously owned Infinity Renaissance 90's which share some DNA with Revel and own an Aesthetix Romulus cdp. I also own more 'modest' speakers (Magico S5's), though I only know the Vandy 7's by reputation. The Vandy 7's are great speakers, but for that money I could have bought both my current S5's & Vitus amp and still be very happy. I know the Vandy 7's are great speakers. And I could have bought a pair had I settled for more modest amplification. I think it's more important however to keep your system balanced and optimize what you have to get the best synergy. For example, Magico & Vitus have known synergy, and the SIA-025 is the sweet spot in the Vitus range imho & is more romantic than an SS-101 for example. With the terrific value Aesthetix cdp, I am very happy with the sound which at only about 90hrs is already sounding wonderful. In saying that, I am planning a front end upgrade of the same order of magnitude as Vandy 7's. My view is, the S5's are good enough and i'm better off investing more money in my front end and preamp, optimize those components with the best isolation and consider upgrading critical power cables later on. I think this approach smokes a lesser front end and amp paired with super speakers like the Vandy 7's. But even with my current Aesthetix tube player, the sound is great and i'm not left wanting, well perhaps only for my gear to run in! Btw, i'm not sure if you're aware, Revel used Infinity Omega speakers to voice their Revel Gems years ago Here is a small photo -
Just catching up with your comment regarding voicing of the Revels.

When I bought the F52's, I was considering B&W 803s. I chose the Revels as they were not as bright or forward in the midrange and seemed more natural to me. I like that about the Infinity reference speakers as well. All the imaging you need but they are never bright or harsh.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
My favorite characteristic (and their are many) of the Salon2 is their versatility - They simply don't get in the way of the source - Great speakers.
Agree! They are wonderful speakers - even 7 years after they were first introduced. Hard to beat at their price point.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Agree! They are wonderful speakers - even 7 years after they were first introduced. Hard to beat at their price point.
Agreed Mike, they are terrific speakers and so transparent. I just added the Pass XP-30 preamp last week and the Salon 2's bring out every nuance. I was told that the XP-30 would greatly improve the bass response of the XA-100.5 and the Salon 2's really deliver the goods. What I like best about these speakers is that they really don't have any weak points. And they have the some of the smoothest treble I've ever heard.

How is it going with the Alexia and the D'Ag amplifier? I would think they're breaking in nicely by now.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Ken -

Huge congrats on the XP-30! This is a fantastic piece. Glad is meeting your expectations.

Regarding the Alexias, I could not be happier. They are exceeding my expectations. Thanks for asking!

Mike
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Thanks Mike. I'm really glad I went for it. The XP-30 is knocking my socks off.

The Alexia's look great in your room. Big enough to give you big sound but not too big as to overwhelm the room. The D'Ag amp looks sweet too sitting there in the middle. What a combo!

Enjoy,
Ken
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM

How do you guys think the Mcintosh MC 452 would be to much for the Gem 2 for surround duties. Front stage will be powered by salon 2 and voice 2 running MC 601.

Last edited by JDMMAC; 03-08-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up

JD - I have a similar set up - The 601 and 452 are awesome amps and pair well with the Revels - Match them with clean power and top notch components and you will be a very happy person

To my ear the Revel / McIntosh combo produce a lush sound ...... room filling ...... enveloping ....... the music wraps around you

If you favor a bit more detail and sparkle audition the Mark Levinson amps

Sadly I didn't have space for the gems - I did audition them in my room and it was a heartbreaker to have to send them back to the showroom

I think you are about to have a world class sound system - Congratulations
Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 AM

I auditioned the ML amps here in Japan and liked them but they maybe alittle low on power in my humble opinion so wanted to consider the MC 601.