AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 AM

Dan....

Serge's review stated that he ran his entire system including his 501's through the PPP. Why aren't you??
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipschpyro View Post
Dan....

Serge's review stated that he ran his entire system including his 501's through the PPP. Why aren't you??
My Meridian's power off the PPP. They are 650W a side
Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Dan....

Rob.......I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits behind my gear rack. One circuit is for the two MC501's, and one circuit is for the C1000P preamplifier and four sources. I want to keep my MC501's powered from their own dedicated circuit, so they remain plugged directly into the wall outlet.

I could very easily power my two MC501's on the same circuit as the preamp and sources. The MC501's maximum current draw is 6.6 A, so the pair equals 13.2 A. My current load for the C1000P, MS750, MCD500, MR85, and Sonos ZP90 is 2 A. Powering everything, including the two MC501's would equal a maximum current draw of 15.2 amps, well within a 20 A dedicated circuit's ability to deliver, although this equals 1824 watts which exceeds the PPP's 1500 watts maximum output. Maximum load demand is generally much less than that because the amplifiers rarely reach maximum current demand, and it certainly would not be sustained. I tested the MC501 using an amp meter, and discovered that with audio peaks at 300 watts output, the MC501's current demand was peaking at 3.5 A. Multiply this times two for both amplifiers, and I have a 7 A current demand for that volume level, which is well above my typical listening level. So, we take that 7 A current reading, add the preamplifier and source loads of 2 A, and now I only need 9 A to satisfy the current demands of the entire system's components, including both amps. This 9 A current draw equals 1080 watts, which is well within the 1500 watts output capability of the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

Despite the findings from those calculations, I still prefer to power the pair of MC501's from their own dedicated 20 amp circuit. This way, no matter what volume level I may decide upon at any given moment, I will have all the current necessary, available on demand. Even though the amplifiers are not presently benefitting from the reduced power line noise, and absolute line voltage stability provided by the PPP, my system still reveals a very nice improvement in the sonic details, and richness of tonal textures with the presence of the Power Plant Premier powering just the preamp and sources. This is not to say that I have no interest in adding another PPP to the system for the dedicated amplifiers circuit. This is under consideration.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-30-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Rob.......I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits behind my gear rack. One circuit is for the two MC501's, and one circuit is for the C1000P preamplifier and four sources. I want to keep my MC501's powered from their own dedicated circuit, so they remain plugged directly into the wall outlet.

I could very easily power my two MC501's on the same circuit as the preamp and sources. The MC501's maximum current draw is 6.6 A, so the pair equals 13.2 A. My current load for the C1000P, MS750, MCD500, MR85, and Sonos ZP90 is 2 A. Powering everything, including the two MC501's would equal a maximum current draw of 15.2 amps, well within a 20 A dedicated circuit's ability to deliver, although this equals 1824 watts which exceeds the PPP's 1500 watts maximum output. Maximum load demand is generally much less than that because the amplifiers rarely reach maximum current demand, and it certainly would not be sustained. I tested the MC501 using an amp meter, and discovered that with audio peaks at 300 watts output, the MC501's current demand was peaking at 3.5 A. Multiply this times two for both amplifiers, and I have a 7 A current demand for that volume level, which is well above my typical listening level. So, we take that 7 A current reading, add the preamplifier and source loads of 2 A, and now I only need 9 A to satify the current demands of the entire system's components, including both amps. This 9 A current draw equals 1080 watts, which is well within the 1500 watts output capability of the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

Despite the findings from those calculations, I still prefer to power the pair of MC501's from their own dedicated 20 amp circuit. This way, no matter what volume level I may decide upon at any given moment, I will have all the current necessary, available on demand. Even though the amplifiers are not presently benefitting from the reduced power line noise, and absolute line voltage stability provided by the PPP, my system still reveals a very nice improvement in the sonic details, and richness of tonal textures with the presence of the Power Plant Premier powering just the preamp and sources. This is not to say that I have no interest in adding another PPP to the system for the dedicated amplifiers circuit. This is under consideration.
Well put Dan. Are those fingers getting tired yet?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Well put Dan. Are those fingers getting tired yet?
Note yet.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
What?

Speaking of these units, as I am now VERY interested in adding one down the road, I have read for sale ads that say either "it is a B unit that is identical to an A unit but with a shorter warranty", OR the unit for sale is a later model, 'not one of the earlier versions with the noise and overheating issues.

Are the two examples refering to the same thing or are these claims simply not accurate?

I have seen it more than once, the reason I am asking, thx Greg
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Against the Tide

"B" stock is-open box/floor show/cosmetic defect/blemish or something else that would cause not to be able to be sold as "A" stock Brand New.

Refurbished is usually stated and sold as refurb.

If you email or phone PS Audio they will tell you what serial #'s were involved and what the problems were. I have had a PPP in my system for over two years and never had a problem. The first one was silver which I sold when the limited edition (not anymore) black version came out.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
"B" stock is-open box/floor show/cosmetic defect/blemish or something else that would cause not to be able to be sold as "A" stock Brand New.

Refurbished is usually stated and sold as refurb.

If you email or phone PS Audio they will tell you what serial #'s were involved and what the problems were. I have had a PPP in my system for over two years and never had a problem. The first one was silver which I sold when the limited edition (not anymore) black version came out.
amazing, thx for that clarification, it's been on my mind for a few days.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Greg.......There were several previous PS Audio Power Plant AC regenerators, the designs of which have contributed to there newest Power Plant Premier. There was the P300, the P600, and the P1000. The 600 and the 1000 were huge peices of gear, and major heat producers. The heat was from the inefficiency of the AC regenerator amplifier and power supply design. They produced clean, regenerated AC, but at 50% or less efficiency. A lot of curent went up in heat, and was not available current for your gear.

The new PS Audio Power Plant Premier has a unique twist in the power supply design that allows the AC regenerator to operate at greater than 85% efficiency, deliver greater current capacity, with dramatically less heat, and consequently is able to be packaged in smaller, more managable dimensions.

I feel confident that the units you refered to are the earlier PS Audio power plants, and not the Power Plant Premier I have included some pictures of the older units.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psaudio_powerplant300.jpg (18.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg psaudio_p600_front.jpg (12.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PS Audio P1000.jpg (70.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Greg.......There were several previous PS Audio Power Plant AC regenerators, the designs of which have contributed to there newest Power Plant Premier. There was the P300, the P600, and the P1000. The 600 and the 1000 were huge peices of gear, and major heat producers. The heat was from the inefficiency of the AC regenerator amplifier and power supply design. They produced clean, regenerated AC, but at 50% or less efficiency. A lot of curent went up in heat, and was not available current for your gear.

The new PS Audio Power Plant Premier has a unique twist in the power supply design that allows the AC regenerator to operate at greater than 85% efficiency, deliver greater current capacity, with dramatically less heat, and consequently is able to be packaged in smaller, more managable dimensions.

I feel confident that the units you refered to are the earlier PS Audio power plants, and not the Power Plant Premier I have included some pictures of the older units.
Reprint from PS Audio-
PPP’s have been hot items and remain hot items. Now that the Premier’s teething problems have been fixed and people are falling over themselves with words of praise for the PPP - the great results the Quintessence brings people have been lost in the mix.