AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Default PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated amp owners experience

Hi,

I recently sold my Bryston 4BSST2 amp and BP26 pre-amp due to space constraints in our family room (and plugged in an Anthem MXR 710 receiver just for watching movies.....)

This left me with an "opportunity" to do something different. I am thinking about putting a system in my small office upstairs, where presently I have my headphone rig. Idea is to purchase an integrated to drive both my headphones and a small set of planars or electrostatics.

Based on recent reviews, the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated amp has caught my eye, however since I've never heard the PrimaLuna, I'd like to solicit feedback from AA board owners who have experience with this unit.

Couple of questions:

1. How does it compare to a solid state unit for my tastes in music? Focus on female vocalist like think Diana Krall, Stacey Kent, Patrica Barber, Rebecca Pidgon, plus traditional club jazz vibraphone and piano such as Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, Lionel Hampton, Gary Burton, you get the idea .

2. What does it sound like with planars or electrostatics?

3. How do you like the headphones being run through the power outputs--is it quiet enough given I have HifiMan HE-500 headphones, which are pretty his resolution?

Thanks in advance--Jay
Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 PM

My two cents...

I have owned both the Bryston 4BSST2 and the Primaluna HP. The HP is not a good match in my opinion for your speaker preferences.
Simply not enough current. Electrostatics typically have punishingly low impedance levels and Planars need high current. If you are used to and enjoyed the 4BSST2 sound, I think you would be very disappointed with the HP (as it relates to your speakers).

Very different presentations and basic sound between these two amps as well. Black and white in my opinion.

Let me know if I can help or clarify anything on my opinion.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
My two cents...

I have owned both the Bryston 4BSST2 and the Primaluna HP. The HP is not a good match in my opinion for your speaker preferences.
Simply not enough current. Electrostatics typically have punishingly low impedance levels and Planars need high current. If you are used to and enjoyed the 4BSST2 sound, I think you would be very disappointed with the HP (as it relates to your speakers).

Very different presentations and basic sound between these two amps as well. Black and white in my opinion.

Let me know if I can help or clarify anything on my opinion.
Very helpful and thank you.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl View Post
Very helpful and thank you.
My pleasure.
I have made a lot of costly and frustrating mistakes over the years in this great hobby of ours.
Very happy to help others avoid the undue costs and pitfalls if I can. :-)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 PM

I have listened to the headphone output only, and was very impressed with the HP using my Audeze LCD-XC headphones. Just a slight bit of tube noise that I only noticed when the music wasn't playing. Beautiful sound with female vocals, including Krall, Cole, Pidgeon, and a few others. I already own the McIntosh headphone amp, but may have bought the HP instead had I auditioned it first.

The build quality is first rate, and I love the ability to swap out lots of different types of tubes without needing to match or bias them. A tube rollers dream amp.

As for speaker matching, my guess is that dynamic speakers would be best. I would suggest talking with your dealer or give Kevin Deal a call at Upscale Audio. They should be able to let you know if your speakers of choice would work.

Other integrated amps with good headphone outputs are McIntosh, Leben, and Cary. I have not heard the headphone portions with Luxman or Accuphase, but those companies make great products.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
I have listened to the headphone output only, and was very impressed with the HP using my Audeze LCD-XC headphones. Just a slight bit of tube noise that I only noticed when the music wasn't playing. Beautiful sound with female vocals, including Krall, Cole, Pidgeon, and a few others. I already own the McIntosh headphone amp, but may have bought the HP instead had I auditioned it first.

The build quality is first rate, and I love the ability to swap out lots of different types of tubes without needing to match or bias them. A tube rollers dream amp.

As for speaker matching, my guess is that dynamic speakers would be best. I would suggest talking with your dealer or give Kevin Deal a call at Upscale Audio. They should be able to let you know if your speakers of choice would work.

Other integrated amps with good headphone outputs are McIntosh, Leben, and Cary. I have not heard the headphone portions with Luxman or Accuphase, but those companies make great products.
Thanks, Kevin. There seems to be a growing concensus that the PrimaLuna won't do well with planars or electrostaics, which has me wondering if I should have sold off my Bryston gear
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl View Post
Thanks, Kevin. There seems to be a growing concensus that the PrimaLuna won't do well with planars or electrostaics, which has me wondering if I should have sold off my Bryston gear
Have you landed on a new amp yet?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Have you landed on a new amp yet?
Hi Bavarian05,

No, haven't quite brought this to closure. But based on feedback I've gotten from other boards, plus reviews I've read of the PrimaLuna, I'm pretty sure I'd be best off sticking with SS gear if I move to electrostatics or even back to Magnepan (of course I have to find the room first.....)

In the meantime, I'm currently looking at the Bryston headphone amp to go along with my Bryston DAC for my headphones (I was going to use the PrimaLuna for that first). Since I don't have speakers (or a listening room even) at this point, I really don't need to solve the larger amp question right now.

Cheers

Jay