AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 AM

Are you still using unshielded interconnects on your table? This is the source of the hum, not the ground wire or transformer. They don't hum. When using a step up in particular, you must use shielded cables, and once again- only Switchcraft terminated cables of low mass. These other cables can easily damage the hot pin of the female jacks causing a loss of sound quality.

If the Stealth cables sound better on a Shindo system, the speakers may be at fault or possibly the turntable/set up. Lower efficiency speakers, speakers with rubber woofer surrounds, complicated crossovers, high cone mass etc. benefit from audiophile cable EQ. Once you have a proper speaker in the chain, the A23 cables will be the best choice. Assuming you're listening for the things that make Shindo unique- its incredible timing, tone, texture, harmonic richness and rightness. Not classic rock or pop as this is not a reference of any sort. Believe me, many, many excellent listeners over many years have confirmed this in some incredibly well set up systems around the world. I owned Stealth cables briefly... No way is that the right choice in a well tuned Shindo system. Excellent cables for sure, just not for Shindo. Sergei is a good designer and I respect him.

Jonathan
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM

I do use A23 IC from the SUT to the Aurieges. The TT cables are unshielded as they came from the factory. I will not debate the cable issue as a) i am not a reviewer b) i listen to enjoy the music. I did hear a full Shindo/DeVore system with A23 cables and it did sound all you describe the sound above. No A/B with other cables though…
I think the speakers I have are fine for 1/15 of the price of the Shindo speakers or fraction of the DeVore offering - which BTW I would love to own one day.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM

You can not use unshielded cables on phono due to RF pick up. The RF issue is exacerbated via a step up. One does not need to be a reviewer and of course at the end of the day its about enjoying the music, no arguments there. The point I'm trying to make is that Shindo is meant only for high impedance and high efficiency speakers. Shindo himself would have recommended vintage 16ohm Altec's for a entry level cost such as Valencias. Most modern speakers are made in a very different way than in the old days and these need a very different system and cables to get the maximum performance. Mixing and matching also may need different cables. Exceptions in modern day speakers would be the A23, Shindo and LM offerings which is why I represent them. Not much else out there in modern offerings. Avoid rubber woofer surrounds, high mass cones, speakers must have light and stiff paper cones (no cone bracing), no MDF or other non real wood or plywood cabinets etc. Alnico or field coil is a real bonus over ceramic or ferrite magnets. I'm an idealist and these are the ideal ways to build a Shindo system. Once the right speakers are connected, you quickly would recognize what magic the A23 cables are. Jonathan

Last edited by Vinyljh; 02-16-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Much appreciated. The WLM do not have rubber surroundings and as you know are single driver speakers. Unfortunately I cannot fit the Valencias or Altec 19. There is an amazing pair of crassly modded Klipsch Belles close to me but again the size is prohibitive.

I may be able to fit the 0O/93 0r 96 but will need to remove some furniture from the room and rearrange a few things and even then it would be less than ideal. But if the right opportunity comes i will certainly try.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Actually I know nothing about WLM's, I'm glad to hear they meet the criteria of no rubber surrounds. I did not recommend any of those other speakers you mentioned except the Valencia, just for clarity.

Jonathan
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Sorry I did not mean to suggest you did - I listed those as speakers I would try just for kicks, but simply can not fit into our house.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 AM

Hello Jonathan,

Do DeVore speakers have rubber surrounds ?

On a side note, I would be very interested to hear the Hommage to Ken A23 speaker. I never listened to the 755 driver.
Someone told me that they have limits in bass and treble but the mids are to die for. Did you have the chance to listen to them ?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 AM
alive and kickin'

Quote:
Someone told me that they have limits in bass and treble but the mids are to die for.
As so often it is the context that matters !
to make it precise : I didn't tell YOU, Jérôme, and I didn't express it in THAT way !

Here is what I wrote on a french forum as an answer to someone who is looking for a nice speaker to match with a 300B SE amp:

Si du large bande (="ni très haut, ni très bas, mais quel milieu!") te convient, belle écoute, pas difficile à placer...
completed by a picture of the Hommage à Ken loudspeakers by Auditorium23

Translated : If a full range speaker (="not very low, not very high, but what mids !") appeals to you, (these give you) a beautiful listening (and are) not difficult to place (meaning, in a room)

This is an example how semi-verities are spread through the worldwideweb. Some are really expert in this field.

Let's close on a more philosophical and conciliatory note:

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
Marilyn Monroe
Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM

My homage auditorium 755a speakers have articulate base and detailed treble. The mid range is magic. Cymbals are very accurately represented and the base drum is intoxicating.

I think these speakers excel across the whole range. That being said there are types of music that they do not suit. For the types of music I enjoy I have not heard anything better.

I think making generalizations about products you have never heard in person is very damaging to the people who have worked very hard for years trying to create magic with hifi.

Jerome go to Germany for a weekend and hear for your self.

Last edited by 755a; 02-19-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM

So what types of music do they not suit and why?