AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Default Reference 5SE preamp audition

Hi everyone.

I am auditioning the 5SE and comparing it to my ARC reference 2 MKI which was extensively modified in 2005 by Steve Huntley of great Northern Sound. The Ref 5SE is indeed better than my Ref 2, but has not blown me away yet in the less than one day I've had with it. However, it only has about 230 hours on it. I have to return it to my dealer on Thursday so I am going to do as much listening as possible until then.

I have read here and elsewhere that it takes about 600 hours for the Reference 5SE to full break-in.

For those of you who own the Reference 5SE, do you find that there is significant improvement as the 600 hour burn-in approaches? In what ways have you found that it improves? Does music have to be playing through it to burn in or is leaving it on enough for break-in?

Thanks. Owners input is most appreciated

Bob
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM

I just did an audition of that with a Ref75 on my Sasha's and WOW. I can't speak to burn in, but what I found the most impressive was the dynamics and the dead-quiet black background.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:05 PM

I have 750 hours on my 5SE. I noticed big changes at 100 & 300 hours. From 300-600 only slight improvement. I am very happy things have settled down and there are no surprises. Before I reached the 600 hour mark, sound was a bit up and down and sometimes un-settling, bur now its pure bliss.

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM

My experience with Ref150 / Ref5SE being : After the initial coaster ride, they began stabilizing passing 150hr mark. There on, they will still improve gradually settling down/fully matured at around 600-750hr. Not much further changes in terms of dynamic/resolution, improvements were mainly of coherence - bringing separate performers into more complete/wholesome picture, focus - better delineation of instrumentations, plus some bits and pieces of refinement - smoothening of rough edges, glare etc. However, a subtle one and not night & day difference to what you are currently hearing @230hr.
*They respond well to good aftermarket power cords. Shunyata are one renowned for their compatibility. I've had success using KS Elation, Siltech.
Hope this helps a bit.. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by bvdiman; 11-19-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Hi everyone.

I am auditioning the 5SE and comparing it to my ARC reference 2 MKI which was extensively modified in 2005 by Steve Huntley of great Northern Sound. The Ref 5SE is indeed better than my Ref 2, but has not blown me away yet in the less than one day I've had with it. However, it only has about 230 hours on it. I have to return it to my dealer on Thursday so I am going to do as much listening as possible until then.

I have read here and elsewhere that it takes about 600 hours for the Reference 5SE to full break-in.

For those of you who own the Reference 5SE, do you find that there is significant improvement as the 600 hour burn-in approaches? In what ways have you found that it improves? Does music have to be playing through it to burn in or is leaving it on enough for break-in?

Thanks. Owners input is most appreciated

Bob
Although I have just 360 hours on my Ref5SE, I noticed an improved sound from around 270 hours: more clear and clean sound, smoothed out and decidedly more open image with more air around instruments and a greater soundstage and this progress continued until now.

Straight out of the box Ref5SE was already very good, so I am not too much in a hurry to reach the magical 600. Let's enjoy the journey!

Maybe the Ref10 is the better option for you, but see it's price.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Does music have to be playing through it to burn in?
Yes, preferably so.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM

Thanks to all of you for your most helpful input.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I have 750 hours on my 5SE. I noticed big changes at 100 & 300 hours. From 300-600 only slight improvement. I am very happy things have settled down and there are no surprises. Before I reached the 600 hour mark, sound was a bit up and down and sometimes un-settling, bur now its pure bliss.
+1 well said.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 AM

I've no experience with the 5SE, but the sound of my Ref 40 only began to settle down past the 500 hrs mark. Before that there were ups & downs that were certainly noticeable.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM

If you haven't noticed significant improvement between your Ref 2 MKI (a much better sounding unit than the MkII IMHO) and the 5SE, then more hours on the 5SE isn't likely to change your experience or opinion. After 50-100h the improvement in sound quality in my experience w/ ARC gear rapidly follows the law of diminishing returns. The recommended 600h does provide an extended positive reinforcement schedule however!