AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Default 20.7 vs ...

Hi all.

I dont know how many times I have typed that in google to try to get more input on the 20.7. I know we have some owners out there and others who have heard them.

So I am hoping I can help other addicts as myself that search for info on a speaker that is difficult to demo.

Given the price tag there are some very good competitors in the 15k ballpark. If folks might chime in with the speakers they compared to the 20.7 and impressions of those comparisons (ie 20.7 vs...) -it would be very much appreciated. Thanks Tim.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 PM

Hi, Tim. I have the 20.7s and may be able to help.

What kind of music do you listen to the most?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Well my collection is quite varied. I am not a metal head. So that is out. So for pop music - mostly acoustic or jazz influenced. I also listen to classical ( but I am no aficionado!! But really appreciate the sound of real instruments). I like both chamber and large scale (if the system presents it right). Oh- also a big Dave Matthews fan. Haha. So as you can see I am a bit all over the map - but dmb has big jazz roots.

I have heard the 20.1 3.6 and 3.7 plus a slew of Martin Logan product.

So, I have been looking for comparisons of speakers in the same price range and to get others to give the diffs as they heard them.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hi all. I dont know how many times I have typed that in google to try to get more input on the 20.7. I know we have some owners out there and others who have heard them. So I am hoping I can help other addicts as myself that search for info on a speaker that is difficult to demo. Given the price tag there are some very good competitors in the 15k ballpark. If folks might chime in with the speakers they compared to the 20.7 and impressions of those comparisons (ie 20.7 vs...) -it would be very much appreciated. Thanks Tim.
Today, it is difficult to find a bad speaker. There are many great speakers. There are a few that are also incredible values. All of the Magneplanars must be at the top of that list. They are not perfect - no speaker is. But if you have the room and the amplifier to drive them, the 20.7s are difficult to beat at twice their cost. They are also the only Maggie model that I didn't feel could benefit from a sub-woofer. Good thing since mating a sub to it is not an easy task. There are some speakers that may have some performance aspects that may be better. And there is one speaker that I prefer overall but It is more expensive and quite different than the Maggie and not superior in all respects.

Speaker list:
KEF Blade, KEF 50, Focal Diablo, Ayon Falcon, Quad 57, Quad 2905, Martin Logan Sequel, Wilson WITT, Wilson Maxx II, Wilson Sasha, Devore 0/96, Wave 40, Mag 1.7 and others if we go back further in time.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Tim,
Thanks for details on your musical preferences.

In my opinion the 20.7s are speakers designed for listening to acoustic music recorded in a real space such as orchestral, chamber, choral, instrumental, small jazz or even big band. The design principle behind the 20.7s of using a very thin and light weight Mylar film over a large surface panel area is ideally suited to launch a realistically large sound wave and therefore better able to take the listener to where an acoustic recording was made. I notice this when I hear a live recording made at Carnegie Hall versus one made at smaller venues used by the likes of Jordi Savall.

The 20.7s can play pop music and some rock, but playing artificially-enhanced dynamic music is not their forte. Also, most of this music is poorly recorded so it will not sound good on the 20.7s because they are revealing of what's being fed to them.

Based on the type of music you listen to, Martin Logan may be a better choice for you - combining an electrostatic panel with a cone woofer. Can you listen to M-L near where you live? The Thiel 3.7s may be another good choice around the same price as the 20.7s.

During my purchase decision I was coming from the 3.7s so I knew I wanted to stick with dipoles and did not not consider other designs. Since 95% of the music I listen to is orchestral classical, the 20.7s are the speakers for me and they fit perfectly in my basement man cave. I'm very happy with them and, by the way, when bass drum is present and well-recorded the 20.7s reproduce it with authority even shaking the room, so, yes, they can boogie.

Last edited by cma29; 10-14-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Today, it is difficult to find a bad speaker. There are many great speakers. There are a few that are also incredible values. All of the Magneplanars must be at the top of that list. They are not perfect - no speaker is. But if you have the room and the amplifier to drive them, the 20.7s are difficult to beat at twice their cost. They are also the only Maggie model that I didn't feel could benefit from a sub-woofer. Good thing since mating a sub to it is not an easy task. There are some speakers that may have some performance aspects that may be better. And there is one speaker that I prefer overall but It is more expensive and quite different than the Maggie and not superior in all respects.

Speaker list:
KEF Blade, KEF 50, Focal Diablo, Ayon Falcon, Quad 57, Quad 2905, Martin Logan Sequel, Wilson WITT, Wilson Maxx II, Wilson Sasha, Devore 0/96, Wave 40, Mag 1.7 and others if we go back further in time.
Thanks for your thoughts on the 20.7s, Caelin.

I'm sure you use many great systems to tune your products and it is nice to hear that the 20.7s are part of the select few that are being used at Shunyata for such critical decisions.

Last edited by cma29; 10-14-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Hi Carlos. Thanks for your reply. Go figure. I own ml Odysseys which were purchased about 10 years ago?? I have heard tympani on the 20.1 and found it amazing. After listening to the 20s about 8 years ago - I havent forgotten them!! Also, I know what you mean about junk in = junk out. I don't listen to synthesized music per se. Re: bass reproduction - I recently compared the 3.7 to the ml montis. I liked the 3.7 better because of the textures it presents in the music and what I consider a more natural or real presentation. I preferred the planar bass - which quite honestly caught me by surprise.

So you went from the 3.7? Did u check out any other models on the way to the 20 out of curiosity's sake? That is sort of what I was going for.

I have a Cary slp98p and a sunfire signature amp (425/850 8 ohm/4 ohm). Any opinions on that w a 20.7 would be appreciated as well. Thanks Tim.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 AM

Hi, Tim.

Yes, the 20.7 reproduce instrumental timbers really well including tympani (and especially brass).

Based on what you are saying, the 20.7s may be the speakers for you. I'm not familiar with the Sunfire amp, but based on the power doubling into 4 ohms they should be good with 20.7s. That's the key. The 20.7s need a beefy power supply that can deliver current. My amps are only rated at 100 W into 8 ohms (200 W into 4 ohms) and they make the 20.7s sing and get plenty loud.

I had the 3.7s for about 8 months so I knew I wanted the 20.7s and my dealer offered me 100% trade-in credit. I did not investigate other speakers.

By the way, there is an updated 3.7 model available, the 3.7i which was reviewed in the Nov 2014 issue of The Absolute Sound. Check out the other thread here on that. That speaker, along with some Maggie bass panels, may be the ticket for you. Where do you live?

Last edited by cma29; 10-14-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Hi Carlos. I am in Ann Arbor michigan. There is a Maggie dealer fairly close - but of course no 20.7. I need to go harass him about the 'I' version. I am planning my man cave as I have an unfinished basement that I could make 16-18 ft wide and 25-30 ft long.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hi Carlos. I am in Ann Arbor michigan. There is a Maggie dealer fairly close - but of course no 20.7. I need to go harass him about the 'I' version. I am planning my man cave as I have an unfinished basement that I could make 16-18 ft wide and 25-30 ft long.
The room looks to be a perfect place for your man cave.

Audio Consultants in Evanston IL (near Chicago) has a pair of 20.7s for auditioning. That's where I got mine and had them shipped to Missouri to save the sales tax.