AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Question Vosne vs Giscours

As I have spent some time reviewin' this forum for comments about Shindo amps I discovered many of you have climbed the Shindo pre-amp tree going from the Vosne Romanee to the Giscours. I happen to currently own the VR and have been curious about the Giscours.

So to those you that have made this switch please share your thoughts on the differences and on the upgrade...

Thanks!

j

PS This is not intended to suggest I don't like my VR. I do, in fact, I love it. But this hobby frequently makes us curious...

Last edited by FranklinLG; 08-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG
As I have spent some time reviewin' this forum for comments about Shindo amps I discovered many of you have climbed the Shindo pre-amp tree going from the Vosne Romanee to the Giscours. I happen to currently own the VR and have been curious about the Giscours.

So to those you that have made this switch please share your thoughts on the differences and on the upgrade...

Thanks!

j

PS This is not intended to suggest I don't like my VR. I do, in fact, I love it. But this hobby frequently makes us curious...
I've recently taken delivery of a Giscours which is my first step on the green journey. Previous experience in shindo land has been in demos in a very different room from the one I am living in (actually on a different continent since I've been demo'ing stateside).

The source is a reference MSB dac with Mac mini and the giscours is driving horn speakers via a gryphon solid state at the moment, which in temporary until I work out what mono blocs to stack with it (missed the gm70's from Asia last month -damn).

Whilst I'm getting a partial view of the green zone the soundstage,separation and detail is amazing. I have found myself listening a lower levels way into the early hours of the morning.

A23 cables will arrive from Germany this week and I will swap out the kimber reference and see how much of the veil is lifted, but already the difference is amazing, the wife is totally won over and wants to know how much better it can get.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronan View Post
I've recently taken delivery of a Giscours which is my first step on the green journey. Previous experience in shindo land has been in demos in a very different room from the one I am living in (actually on a different continent since I've been demo'ing stateside).

The source is a reference MSB dac with Mac mini and the giscours is driving horn speakers via a gryphon solid state at the moment, which in temporary until I work out what mono blocs to stack with it (missed the gm70's from Asia last month -damn).

Whilst I'm getting a partial view of the green zone the soundstage,separation and detail is amazing. I have found myself listening a lower levels way into the early hours of the morning.

A23 cables will arrive from Germany this week and I will swap out the kimber reference and see how much of the veil is lifted, but already the difference is amazing, the wife is totally won over and wants to know how much better it can get.
This alone says it all.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 AM

FranklinLG, Don't mean to hijack your thread (working thru my 10 posts) but I have a few questions for you -

What is the gap between VR and Giscours - is it big, if VR had appeared first on AA I would have snapped it up, just so happened the other way around

Secondly, is your environment honed to maximize the potential upgrade (room treatments, rack and so forth)

Lastly the giscours uses xlr outputs,are you expecting that to impact the sound ( I guess you will need new interconnects?)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronan View Post
FranklinLG, Don't mean to hijack your thread (working thru my 10 posts) but I have a few questions for you -

Lastly the giscours uses xlr outputs,are you expecting that to impact the sound ( I guess you will need new interconnects?)

I am not Franklin, but have a VR as well, the VR has XLR outputs as well. In my case I run a Shindo XLR to RCA interconnect to the amps.

Barr
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Pronan,

Thanks for the query and comment. Yes, the delta between the 2 is roughly 10K. I've been please with my VR, but this hobby and Shindo's marketing and product development has made me curious. I may just do the upgrade for the heck of it... Scary to think I can...

Yes, I'm aware of the XLR. It's a shindo thing beginning with the VR. I already have pairs of Shindo and Sablon interconnects configured as XLR to RCA. And I would grab a pair of XLR to XLR if I ever grabbed a XLR amp. Right now I don't have one - see other post on my amp quest.

That said, I know of at least 3 others out there on this forum that went from the VR to the Giscours... Where are you folk? LOL
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Pronan,

That said, I know of at least 3 others out there on this forum that went from the VR to the Giscours... Where are you folk? LOL
Hiding from Matt!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Pronan,

Thanks for the query and comment. Yes, the delta between the 2 is roughly 10K. I've been please with my VR, but this hobby and Shindo's marketing and product development has made me curious. I may just do the upgrade for the heck of it... Scary to think I can...

Yes, I'm aware of the XLR. It's a shindo thing beginning with the VR. I already have pairs of Shindo and Sablon interconnects configured as XLR to RCA. And I would grab a pair of XLR to XLR if I ever grabbed a XLR amp. Right now I don't have one - see other post on my amp quest.

And anyone go to the petrus?!?

What's the price of these various preamps?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone

And anyone go to the petrus?!?

What's the price of these various preamps?
Last price I had on the Petrus was from the 6moon review/article and I think the number was in the realm of 55k dollars
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Pronan,

Yeah, I concur, they are out there, probably too busy enjoying their systems at the moment....how rude!

Barr