AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Default How have you set up your 800D's?

I am finally enjoying tunes through my new rig, and would like some high-level advice on speaker placement. I need "speakers for dummies" type help here, guys! Assume I know nothing (regrettably, not much of a stretch).

Room dimensions are approximately 18 ft wide (left to right) and 25 ft deep.

1. Putting aside back spacing to the wall, how far apart would you set your speakers to start? Assume my seating position is 9ft from "ears" to the plane that connects the front of the speakers?

2. Toe-in or not? How much?

3. Can you recommend a basic, reliable speaker placement "how-to" online? Perhaps someone has posted these basic techniques somewhere else here on this forum?

4. How have you set up your 800 series B&W's? Distance between them, distance from your listening position? Just curious about what works for you, in your room. Any tips that are particular to this model of speaker?

Thanks in advance - and for being patient!

Best,

Matt
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Matt, I am not a B&W owner but never-the-less let me offer up some general principles. Getting the bass performance dialed-in first will be the most important and that will be a function of how close to the back wall and conversely how far into the room the speakers are brought in. You want to place the speakers where they pressurize the room evenly and the bass has the most weight and yet retains the most articulation/definition so you do not end up with thumpy, undifferentiated one-note bass. Once you have that optimized, you can then focus on how far apart the speakers are spread from one another. You want to spread them as far as possible to give you the widest soundstage but without losing center-fill image. As soon as you spread them too wide, the center image will start being a bit diffuse or even worse you will have a sonic hole in the middle (if that happens you know you have spread the speakers too far apart). You can finally play with toe-in to lock in image definition and clarity and also manage treble integration and speaker rake for image height.

I will attach a few speaker set-up guides but I suspect Bill (Metaphacts) will disagree with most because they are variants of the triangle or rule of thirds set-up. But generically they will get you in the ball park. You can buy Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book, which is approved by Bill (Metaphacts) and that has very very detailed set-up guidelines you can follow: Get Better Sound

I have attached the speaker set up guides that will get you there for the most part but Jim Smith's book or better yet Bill (Metaphacts) will take you all the way there
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cardas Speaker Set Up.pdf (478.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf Nordost Speaker Placement.pdf (111.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf TAS System Set Up Guide.pdf (1.11 MB, 67 views)

Last edited by cmalak; 05-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Here is the Cardas method:

http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf

There's the Wilson Audio method:

WASP: speakers placement [English]

A good rule of thumb is not to have the exact distance from the back wall and the side walls because it causes bass weirdness.

According to a book published by Robert Harely - another rule of thumb is to put the speakers out 1/3 into the room and 1/5 is the second option.

Keep in mind that all of this depends on room acoustics. The way my room is set up with the panels and bass traps (and the fact that I have two little children) I have my 802's a bit closer to the front wall than most would recommend, but I actually like the warmth I get from the reinforced bass.

In the end, no matter what Dave Wilson, Rob Harley or George Cardas say - it has to sound right to you...
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post

In the end, no matter what Dave Wilson, Rob Harley or George Cardas say - it has to sound right to you...
Stop looking at the tape measure, stop listening to the speakers and start listening to the room.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks, guys, this is a great start for me to get reading and learning.

I will ultimately be constrained by the fact that my system room is also my living/TV/dining/entertaining room, so there are already some practical limitations in place.

I live in a modern-ish open concept, so not only is it the primary "great room", it also has the disadvantage of a cathedral 20ft ceiling in only roughly 1/2 of the square footage. Sound experts would need a defibrillator if they saw what I am dealing with!

As such, my speakers will probably be too close to the rear wall for reasons of accomodating everything else going on. Today, they sit 3 ft 2" from to the rear wall as measured from the front of the drivers. Just 16" from the back of cabinets. I know that closer to the rear wall will accentuate the bass, but I don't have a lot of leeway here due to room and furniture placement constraints.

I'll do some reading as suggested, and try to make the best opf what I have. We will be building a house in a few years, and will be sure to maximize design when we get to that stage.

Thanks again for the tips.

Best,

Matt
Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Did anyone try Finite Elemente Cerabases instead of spikes on your 800 Diamonds? I know I can take them for a home trial but changing the feet on a monster like 800D is not that easy.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

I am too scared to try even the factory spikes as they are huge. Even the castors scratch my wooden floor :'(
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Does anyone take off the tweeter grills on their 800 Diamonds? Is it dangerous? I know that B&W doesn't recommend it in the manual but the sound really gets better!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
I am too scared to try even the factory spikes as they are huge. Even the castors scratch my wooden floor :'(
Bummer. The spikes definitely make a difference.

I'm surprised the castors (the teflon like part) scratches the wooden floor.
You might consider a granite/marble slab and then put the spiked speaker on top.

As I said, it's definitely an improvement.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM

I have my 800D's set up four feet from the rear wall and six from the side. The distance between them (center to center) is also six feet. I don't toe them in or out. My sweet spot is 12 feet diagonal from each speaker front. I find this gives me the best combination of palpable sound and soundstage breadth.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management