AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 AM

Krell and Mcintosh certainly have a unique style all their own. Both brands have a pride of ownership and reputation of quality which is rewarded with fabulous resale value compared to other brands.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Ha! Great.

I was messing with Dave.

I was gonna say that "My friend is getting rid of his Elipsas and moving up to the Amatis" but I thought that was too harsh.

J/K J/K J/K, no one get mad please!
So what's with the greek scripture: ἐτέθην ἐγὼ κῆρυξ ?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Krell and Mcintosh certainly have a unique style all their own. Both brands have a pride of ownership and reputation of quality which is rewarded with fabulous resale value compared to other brands.
David, while you often hear that McIntosh has enjoyed "fabulous" resale value, this is far from truth as it is with any gear including McIntosh... Anything over a few years old will be 50 cents on the dollar or it doesn't sell at all in this economy. Vintage McIntosh is a different story but some of it is so old and sold for so little as compared to today's dollars.. Need some examples of even recent products like the MCD500? How about a worse one like the MVP871? Are there no C1000 that can be had for $11k? You don't think you can buy a pair of 501s for under $6k? I can't even give my MCD201 away for $1500... Some gear like MBL seems to not even hold the 50 cent rule.... Our mutual friend still has not been able to sell a virtually new Krell 403 for 50 cents on the dollar.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Prior to purchasing my MC352, which the MC501's replaced, I brought home for a weekend audition a used Audio Research HD220 amplifier. I have been an Audio Research fan for a long time, and have seriously considered a complete AR system more than once. The HD220 is a fine amp, with a warm sound, and extended top end. It uses tubes at the input driver stage, plus ThermalTrak output devices, and the design appealed to me. Two reasons made me return it, not enough power, and the silver face stuck out like a sore thumb in all the black glass in my rack. I realize the second reason is shallow. I did not audition any other amps between the MC352 being in my main system, and the MC501 amplifiers being purchased. I had heard the MC501's a number of times, and knew what they are capable of doing.

When I purchased the new C1000P I did not audition any other preamps at the time, although I had done so in the not to distant past. I am in and out of dealer showrooms all the time. Prior to purchasing the used C1000T I did audition the Audio Research LS26 Class A tube preamp. I probably would have purchased that preamp if I had bought the HD220 the prior year. I did not get to bring the LS26 home, only listened to it in the showroom, but I liked it. Then a deal turned up on the C1000T that was too good to pass up, and also allowed me get out of the C2300 at the same time. I am pleased with the results of that decision.

My latest non-McIntosh fantasy is the Ayer KX-R and MX-R mono amps coupled to my Guarneri Momento's. There is a dealer near me, I just haven't gone to look and listen yet. There are lots of great products for the choosing. One merely has to make the decision, and write the check.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......Prior to purchasing my MC352, which the MC501's replaced, I brought home for a weekend audition a used Audio Research HD220 amplifier. I have been an Audio Research fan for a long time, and have seriously considered a complete AR system more than once. The HD220 is a fine amp, with a warm sound, and extended top end. It uses tubes at the input driver stage, plus ThermalTrak output devices, and the design appealed to me. Two reasons made me return it, not enough power, and the silver face stuck out like a sore thumb in all the black glass in my rack. I realize the second reason is shallow. I did not audition any other amps between the MC352 being in my main system, and the MC501 amplifiers being purchased. I had heard the MC501's a number of times, and knew what they are capable of doing.

When I purchased the new C1000P I did not audition any other preamps at the time, although I had done so in the not to distant past. I am in and out of dealer showrooms all the time. Prior to purchasing the used C1000T I did audition the Audio Research LS26 Class A tube preamp. I probably would have purchased that preamp if I had bought the HD220 the prior year. I did not get to bring the LS26 home, only listened to it in the showroom, but I liked it. Then a deal turned up on the C1000T that was too good to pass up, and also allowed me get out of the C2300 at the same time. I am pleased with the results of that decision.

My latest non-McIntosh fantasy is the Ayer KX-R and MX-R mono amps coupled to my Guarneri Momento's. There is a dealer near me, I just haven't gone to look and listen yet. There are lots of great products for the choosing. One merely has to make the decision, and write the check.
Dan, both the LS26 and HD220 are way under the prices of your MC501s and C1000. Even the Reference 3 retailed for 50% of C1000. Not exactly fair but hey, at least you are honest!

Dan, the MX-R and KX-R is a wonderful trio. I know you trusted me with my suggestion of the GMs and actually bought the same pair that graced my listening room. I actually don't know if you will or won't like the pairing of Ayre and GMs. The MX-Rs remind me of tube amps actually and not exactly the neutral kind. Pretty unusual for solid state. Of course they do have more grip on any speaker as compared to actual tube amps. It can be a great thing since you are actually enjoying your current mono 275 with GMs or it can be a bad thing if you are looking for a change. I assume you are looking for some kind of a change if we are talking about this.... One thing I can assure you, you will not have a sterile/clinical/dry presentation by any means, the balance will be tipped to the warmer side of neutral and for many would be a very enjoyable sound.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Merry Christmas to all

I can neither confirm or deny your thoughts on the KX-R/MX-R combination since I have not seen the Ayre gear except in photos and reviews. The only person I have spoken with that actually owns this set up is Lyle in Quebec. He dumped his entire McIntosh set up for a complete KX-R/MX-R system including the Ayre C-5xeMP universal stereo player, and a pair of Ayre L-5xe AC power filters for the two MX-R amps. He is thoroughly satisfied with the upgrade he made. It is Lyle's experience that planted the seed for my curiosity. I need to take some familiar CD's, stop by the Ayre dealer, and have a listen for myself.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 AM

Have fun with your audition Dan. I am sure you'll let us know what you thought. Of course it would be even better to bring them home for a few days.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Dan, another suggestion for you would be to explore the active x/o route we've talked about in the past as in reality you will gain a bit more resolution and extension on both ends going Ayre and plunking $35k into it while the active x/o and your sub will get you same amount of bass from your tubes and a new found level of coherence and accuracy from your GMs. My own active x/o experiment transformed the GMs.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......I am still searching for a Bryston 10b Sub crossover on the used market. There aren't many, and I prefer the current model, balanced. Ultimately, if I decide I have to have this electrinic crossover arangement, I may have to purchase new. Unfortunately the latest price increase has caused me to look at other possibilities, i.e. the MEN220 used as a crossover, with Room Perfect tossed in for very little more.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, both the LS26 and HD220 are way under the prices of your MC501s and C1000. Even the Reference 3 retailed for 50% of C1000. Not exactly fair but hey, at least you are honest!

Dan, the MX-R and KX-R is a wonderful trio. I know you trusted me with my suggestion of the GMs and actually bought the same pair that graced my listening room. I actually don't know if you will or won't like the pairing of Ayre and GMs. The MX-Rs remind me of tube amps actually and not exactly the neutral kind. Pretty unusual for solid state. Of course they do have more grip on any speaker as compared to actual tube amps. It can be a great thing since you are actually enjoying your current mono 275 with GMs or it can be a bad thing if you are looking for a change. I assume you are looking for some kind of a change if we are talking about this.... One thing I can assure you, you will not have a sterile/clinical/dry presentation by any means, the balance will be tipped to the warmer side of neutral and for many would be a very enjoyable sound.
Serge
For most gear $0.50 on the Dollar is a good starting point for used gear based on what we actually pay for the gear. Sure some newer products when availability is an issue may command a bit more.

I recently spoke to one of the largest retailers for used hi end products and according to him the market is still in the toilet. Those with the plenty of cash are just waiting for super deals. He had some name brand plus $100k speakers he couldn't get $23k for.

Jim