Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM

She’s a beauty for sure!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM

The ClearAudio designs actually seem to keep both horizontal & vertical effective moving masses low (and relatively similar) by attaching that small "stub" arm w/ headshell to a rails system. I think the downside here is need to keep the length of those rails clean over time, versus the non-issue this poses for a more traditional sealed/contained bearing. But air bearing linear trackers also have the issue of keeping clean.

I still have an ET2 linear air-bearing arm on an old Merrill Heirloom (in a closet unused now); that arm by its design definitely had a much higher horizontal moving mass. It was also a terror to use on a springy table like the Merrill without the optional silicon damping trough to calm down that frictionless air bearing with its high moving mass. However, when I could work up the nerve, it worked quite nicely with the old Ortofon Kontrapunkt series (medium-low compliance).
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
My bad, you are correct that is the TT-5
Any more updates on the TT5? Couple of reviews are positive, but do mention the necessity of a careful initial set-up. Wish they had a universal headshell to make swapping cartridges easy.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-29-2018, 01:11 PM

I have seen Freman videos and You tube videos of the air supported Bergmann linear tone arms. They look so classically simple. But with only two distributors in North America its a no go for me. I think it would be a real win if you could put a TT% on a SME model 15. The best of both worlds.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM

One thing about quality audio gear that justifies the high price—if you take proper care it will last and sound great. The TT3 has been excellent overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F5A11907-9BCF-4CDC-AEA3-623E6794AB28.jpeg (3.46 MB, 71 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:28 AM

I just picked up a TT3 along with an Innovation. I will mount my Universal 9" as well. I will run a DV XV1-T and Koetsu Azule platinum. Thoughts on best arm for each cart. Thanks. My first linear tracker, so any suggestions regarding set up and use appreciated.

Regards
Jeff
Old 02-04-2022, 04:48 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Isn't that due to the negative reviews published my Fremer in Stereophile?

I mean, Stereophile used to publish negative reviews, I have read that a negative review in Stereophile in the 80's of a Micro Seiki turntable DD Turntable basically sunk DD Turntables in the USA?
MF was pretty mucn nobody in the mid-80s. What sank TTs (all types from all mfgrs) was the "perfect sound" of CDs. We have learned better and TTs are back & streaming has turned the CD into a dodo.
My guess is the discriminating listener will keep vinyl alive & well as the various digital formats come & go.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-04-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
I just picked up a TT3 along with an Innovation. I will mount my Universal 9" as well. I will run a DV XV1-T and Koetsu Azule platinum. Thoughts on best arm for each cart. Thanks. My first linear tracker, so any suggestions regarding set up and use appreciated.

Regards
Jeff
The Azule might be in for a tough ride - Koetsus seem to like mass and stability. The TT3 looks like it has extremely low moving mass in both the vertical and horizontal. That can be OK in the vertical, to keep the resonant frequency positioned above most warps (like the Dynavector 507 arm does). But with low horizontal mass and low compliance - large bass modulations might just push the cart around, rather than generating the actual bass? At least the stone body has some mass on its own, which helps.

I tried a Koetsu Jade on my Clearaudio Universal 12" and though it sounded fairy dull, so carbon fiber wands might not be a great match either. But then if your Azule falls on the less warm side (for a Koetsu), then it might be an OK pairing. The Jade is warm, even for a Koetsu, and it was not a good match. I haven't heard an Azule yet so not sure where it falls. All the Koetsus do great on the Fidelity Research FR64fx / FR64S arms or a Graham Phantom (I have a Phantom II Supreme) - arms which don't really cost very much compared to your other hardware - probably worth investing in one of those, plus an armboard to get the most out of your beautiful Koetsu.

I expect the Dynavector cartridge should do nicely on both Clearaudio arms!

Last edited by mulveling; 02-04-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
The Azule might be in for a tough ride - Koetsus seem to like mass and stability. The TT3 looks like it has extremely low moving mass in both the vertical and horizontal. That can be OK in the vertical, to keep the resonant frequency positioned above most warps (like the Dynavector 507 arm does). But with low horizontal mass and low compliance - large bass modulations might just push the cart around, rather than generating the actual bass? At least the stone body has some mass on its own, which helps.

I tried a Koetsu Jade on my Clearaudio Universal 12" and though it sounded fairy dull, so carbon fiber wands might not be a great match either. But then if your Azule falls on the less warm side (for a Koetsu), then it might be an OK pairing. The Jade is warm, even for a Koetsu, and it was not a good match. I haven't heard an Azule yet so not sure where it falls. All the Koetsus do great on the Fidelity Research FR64fx / FR64S arms or a Graham Phantom (I have a Phantom II Supreme) - arms which don't really cost very much compared to your other hardware - probably worth investing in one of those, plus an armboard to get the most out of your beautiful Koetsu.

I expect the Dynavector cartridge should do nicely on both Clearaudio arms!
Agree. I would stick with Clearaudio or Benz for the TTS3. Compliance 14-15 range. I have a daVinci V2 on the TTS3 and it is an excellence match.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:48 AM

So unfortunately although it produces the best sound I ever heard by far, insanely jaw droppingly good, the TT3 Koetsu Azule is a no go. Despite being expertly set up by Mr Trei it still has way too many hangups. I really like the DVXV1 T on the 12inch Universal, but I wanted to see if anyone has used this combo before the install. Can you all recommend a great cart for this arm, because I love the sound. It is just captivating, with the Ruby, and the Koetsu which has maybe 7 hours, so should improve further. What's everybody's favorite Rock music carts for the TT3, I want to make this work?