AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 08-25-2018, 04:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
I have considered a mini split in my recently expanded theater. The new space is more than the current whole house AC can handle. I have a price on Mitsubishi mini splits, but am worried about the additional noise in the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Nice mini-split install Terry!

If noise is a concern you can always run a pre-cool strategy before you use the theater. With all the furniture, walls, etc. pre-cooled the regular house ac will be better able to keep up. The better mini’s are pretty quiet when run at low fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I run mini-splits in my garages, they are very quiet.

As those of us that have them the Mini-Splits are Super Quiet if you put them on Automatic and let them cycle to the lowest fan speed.

I also have a Carrier in my garage and it is doing a wonderful job for winter and summer controlling the heat and cold conditions.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 08-25-2018, 06:36 PM

I suppose I should give them a second look -- or listen.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I suppose I should give them a second look -- or listen.
Well maybe I can add some further comments.
I have like 5-sets of automatic temperature activated dual-fan-assemblies on my components.
The ones located in the Opening where the Pull-Out Rack assembly is.
To the (Right) of that pull-out sits two Classe' amps.
On top of each is a fan assembly.
Now, here is what's important in regards to noise.
If you were sitting really close to that area there is no doubt in my mind you could hear those fans.
Especially if you were running the system really hard at the higher volume levels.
That would be in really Low-Scenes with Very-Quiet conversations or action.
If though it was like a normal movie at normal listening levels there is No-Way you could possibly hear those fan assemblies.

Also in my case with me having my room redone and the seating Relocated to a closer viewing position to screen.
You are never-ever going to hear them where we sit now.
Distance around 10-11 feet to the rear of us.

So, now speaking of the Split-Unit and Noise from it's fan-Assembly if it was set on Automatic and the Heat in the HT rose to where it then Ramped-Up the fan.
Yes, if the Split-Unit-Air-Carrier was located really close to where you sit my opinion is it's conceivable you might hear the Fans.
Especially if they actually went to Full-Speed !!!

In my situation where the Air-Carrier is located (Now) we don't even know it's in the HT room.
Especially if it's running on it's Low-Speed set on Automatic.
I am sitting 11' from the Center of the Air-Carrier approximately.
If you have not used one of these units and especially in the HT ???
I set the temperature and never really have to adjust it after that.
The room stays at the exact temperature you set the temperature at.
(Unless you have a lot of people in the room adding to the overall Heat generated)
Then simply adjust it down some to compensate ahead of time or let it do it Automatically.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-27-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added correct information !!!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm in the same position. The home AC cannot cool the whole house and the HT. The HT suffers.

In my case, the unit would probably have to be placed in the front of the room to the left of the screen. It would probably be about 10 feet from the nearest seating position.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM

Default tigerhonaker's Home Theater phase # 1of being Up-Dated August 2018 ...

Terry,
I really like the changes you’ve made - it will make a big difference in you movie-watching experience. Seating ~12 ft from the screen is definitely not to close.

I’m sitting 11’ from a JVC RS-500 and that is not too close at all - very comfortable and immersive. My screen is 106” diagonal 16:9.

Getting rid of visual distractions in the front will make the images on your screen ‘float’ in front of your eyes.

Just beautiful.

Going flat black will definitely increase your contrast ratio to get the most out of whatever projector you choose.

Moving the seating to the middle of the room will put you in a bass null but your tech can figure out how to deal with that. I’d be ready to be flexible with sub placement.

I think Atmos is a game changer but I’m not yet ready to make the jump either.

Thanks for posting all the pics - really makes things clear.

Good luck!

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm in the same position. The home AC cannot cool the whole house and the HT. The HT suffers.

In my case, the unit would probably have to be placed in the front of the room to the left of the screen.
It would probably be about 10 feet from the nearest seating position.
Based on what you say then you would be really close to our sitting distance.

And just so you know you can actually adjust the two (2) sets of Air Louvers as well as adjust the Up & Down positions.
So you can move the Cold-Air away from you and it will easily cool the HT room down.
Assuming they install a sufficient Tonnage-Unit.
I'm not positive but I think the Samsung might be a 1 1/2 Ton Split-Unit in my HT.
Size of my room if you wish to compare to your's.

(1) Center of ceiling is, 9 feet

(2) Length of room is, 23 feet 9 inches

(3) Width of room is, 19 feet 7 inches

Also, keep in mind that these units come in a (WHITE) Finish !!!
That usually means they would definitely NOT blend in well, period.
My HVAC Company worked with me and my Samsung was taken apart and taken to a Body-Shop and Sprayed a Flat-Black-Finish.
So it does not Reflect into the HT at all.

I do know what you speak of on the Home HVAC Unit not able to cool Both areas off the one unit.
I have a 2-story home and my HT was cooled from a (Damping-System) off the up-stairs HVAC unit.
I can tell you here where I live in the Mid-Summer it can reach 100-degrees plus sometimes.
There is No-Way that upstairs unit would cool it, impossible even with New HVAC Units.

So, I had a long talk with the Manager over the HVAC part of Hiller and that's when Chris (Mgr) said Terry I have the permanent solution.
He came out with two other managers to see exactly what was going on with the HT and the ongoing Heat issue.
Since I had been doing business with Hiller for many-many years they called Jimmy Hiller Senior (Owner) and Jimmy said install it under Warranty.
They did their thing and all has been A-OK every since.

Here are some pictures of the Super Efficient HVAC units for up-stairs & downstairs.
They are both 3-Ton Units and State of the Art in Performance.
Then there are the two Split-HVAC units, one for the garage and one for the HT.

I got tired of Burning-Up or Freezing in the garage so also took care of that all at the same-time.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-27-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Terry,
I really like the changes you’ve made - it will make a big difference in you movie-watching experience. Seating ~12 ft from the screen is definitely not to close.

I’m sitting 11’ from a JVC RS-500 and that is not too close at all - very comfortable and immersive. My screen is 106” diagonal 16:9.

Getting rid of visual distractions in the front will make the images on your screen ‘float’ in front of your eyes.

Just beautiful.

Going flat black will definitely increase your contrast ratio to get the most out of whatever projector you choose.

Moving the seating to the middle of the room will put you in a bass null but your tech can figure out how to deal with that. I’d be ready to be flexible with sub placement.

I think Atmos is a game changer but I’m not yet ready to make the jump either.

Thanks for posting all the pics - really makes things clear.

Good luck!

Tom
Hi Tom,

The reason I am making these changes really is the next Big-Move to a 4K JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.
That will more than likely be next year I'm a poor fellow .
So, what I'm doing way ahead of time is getting the HT ready for a complete change with a new 4K projector and all supporting components.
At that time I will also go with (Atmos) for sure.
I'll go with 4-overhead speakers.

Meanwhile like I said above I can go ahead and get things ready for the Big-Changes once I save the CASH.

JVC RS4500

Terry

Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM

That will be one sweet upgrade! Atmos + RS 4500 = pure movie bliss!!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-27-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
That will be one sweet upgrade! Atmos + RS 4500 = pure movie bliss!!
Tom,

Quote:
I’m sitting 11’ from a JVC RS-500 and that is not too close at all - very comfortable and immersive.
My screen is 106” diagonal 16:9.
I'd say based on the differences in our two (2) screen sizes we are seeing the same size images on our prospective systems.

Well my Good-Man that's the plan we shall see how it plays out when the time comes.

T.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Default Mini Split Location

Quote:
Based on what you say then you would be really close to our sitting distance.
My room is 20 x 30 x 9. The wall I have labeled as the mini split wall is the wall that is closest to the existing AC and to refrigerant and drain lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cell Phone Photo showing mini split location.jpg (93.5 KB, 43 views)