AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Junior Audioholic

When reading about Magico, I always hear Constellation as an amp of choice. But I havenít read McIntosh, and I donít understand why. It seems like they should pair well. Doc seems to have paired them well.

Office: Simaudio Moon 330A coming, Simaudio Moon 390, Oppo UDP-205, Silenzio, JL Audio E110, Canton Reference 9K, PS Audio P10, Wireworld, Focal Clear

Bedroom: KEF Wireless LS50, Aurender N100H, Mytek Liberty DAC, JL Audio D108, PS Audio P5
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM

I had Berkeley Reference DAC into Ayre KX-R 20 preamp into Constellation Centaur monoblocks into Magico M Project speakers for about 6 months. Midrange sounded great, very smooth, but the bass was a bit light. I havenít heard McIntosh paired with Magico, but McIntosh seems kinda dark to my ears and seems to pair very well with B&W speakers. My business partner runs Scarlotti into McIntosh tube preamp into McIntosh 501s into B&W 800D and they are very musical and fun, if not exactly the most accurate. Piano sounds particularly nice. BTW I moved to all Boulder electronics for my system since then ....
Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 AM

I heard the new Magico A3 speakers this weekend at Axpona.

The first day I heard them they were paired with the constellation integrated amp and second day was with Dan D Agostino progression pre and stereo amp. These were connected with mid level MIT cables and a NAIM music server and dac.

The sound coming out of those speakers was incredible. I thought that the constellation integrated paired better.

A very transparent clean sound. I would go far to say that these are the best speakers money can buy under 10k, and possibly even under 15k.

I magico speakers and have paired them with Mcintosh. Itís a nice sounding system but the speakers are capable and should be paired with better electronics such as Soulution, Dartzeel, CH precision, D Agostino, or Boulder.

2 Channel:
Speakers: Magico M3's
Subs: REL 25 x 2
Amps: McIntosh 601 x 2
Preamp: McIntosh C52
Digital: Esoteric D02x; Esoteric P02x; Aurender W20
Analog: Clearaudio Master Innovation with 12 inch Universal Tonearm and Goldfinger statement cart; Esoteric E-03 phono stage
Power: 3 Furutech GTX-D (R) receptacles with wall plates; Torus AVR20 power conditioner; Wireworld Silver Electra PC's
Rack: HRS SXR Signature with M3X

Home Theater:^^ +

Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Center, Rears, and mids speakers: B&W HTM1; B&W CM6 x 2 and B&W CCM 662 x 2; WW cabling
Subs: JL Audio F113v2 X4
Amp: McIntosh 8207
Source: OPPO 205
Output: Sony VPL-VW675ES projector on SI 132 in zero edge screen with LED Backlight

Room treatments: Vicoustics
Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I heard the new Magico A3 speakers this weekend at Axpona.

The first day I heard them they were paired with the constellation integrated amp and second day was with Dan D Agostino progression pre and stereo amp. These were connected with mid level MIT cables and a NAIM music server and dac.

The sound coming out of those speakers was incredible. I thought that the constellation integrated paired better.

A very transparent clean sound. I would go far to say that these are the best speakers money can buy under 10k, and possibly even under 15k.

I magico speakers and have paired them with Mcintosh. Itís a nice sounding system but the speakers are capable and should be paired with better electronics such as Soulution, Dartzeel, CH precision, D Agostino, or Boulder.
... Or Spectral?

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA 400 RS, Spectral DMC 30SV, Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric G-01, MIT Oracle MA-X2, MIT Oracle SHD-120 V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight BNC, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, MIT Z Power Bar, Furutech Flux 50 filters, Furutech GTX-D rhodium outlets, 120 amp dedicated service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated audio circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS, Ultra Mini, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird View Post
... Or Spectral?

Yah I have heard this combo.

Problem I have with spectral is customer service. Talked to a dealer recently and they are dropping the spectral line because they are taking greater than 12 months to fill orders.

Also, you have to use MIT cables to keep the warranty.

Not my bag.

2 Channel:
Speakers: Magico M3's
Subs: REL 25 x 2
Amps: McIntosh 601 x 2
Preamp: McIntosh C52
Digital: Esoteric D02x; Esoteric P02x; Aurender W20
Analog: Clearaudio Master Innovation with 12 inch Universal Tonearm and Goldfinger statement cart; Esoteric E-03 phono stage
Power: 3 Furutech GTX-D (R) receptacles with wall plates; Torus AVR20 power conditioner; Wireworld Silver Electra PC's
Rack: HRS SXR Signature with M3X

Home Theater:^^ +

Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Center, Rears, and mids speakers: B&W HTM1; B&W CM6 x 2 and B&W CCM 662 x 2; WW cabling
Subs: JL Audio F113v2 X4
Amp: McIntosh 8207
Source: OPPO 205
Output: Sony VPL-VW675ES projector on SI 132 in zero edge screen with LED Backlight

Room treatments: Vicoustics
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
I had Berkeley Reference DAC into Ayre KX-R 20 preamp into Constellation Centaur monoblocks into Magico M Project speakers for about 6 months. Midrange sounded great, very smooth, but the bass was a bit light. I havenít heard McIntosh paired with Magico, but McIntosh seems kinda dark to my ears and seems to pair very well with B&W speakers. My business partner runs Scarlotti into McIntosh tube preamp into McIntosh 501s into B&W 800D and they are very musical and fun, if not exactly the most accurate. Piano sounds particularly nice. BTW I moved to all Boulder electronics for my system since then ....
I recall reading several places that early Constellation amps were as you describe, superb mids and highs but light on bass. The bass seemed to improve dramatically with their Inspiration series and later. My local Magico dealer has an Inspiration 1.0 Stereo (front ended by a Constellation Revelation Pictor) driving S3 Mk2s. Sounds superb, including bass. To my ears Constellation amps are characterized by transparent high definition sound.