AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 PM

I went through this SAME EXACT CRAP with my 452 amp, was fine for 4+ years, then tried everything you can imagine, even the latest great $5000 PS Audio, no help, the Emotive you name it. All on it was speaker wires, not even the pre-amp and I have 5 preamps that I tried too and many speakers cables etc.

Long story short it was the darn power company! Major distortion in the line. Trying explaining this to people with a 6th grade education and an IQ near 90 on a good day. That is out Rocky Mountain Office on a good day!

Here is the scope on my PS Audio, a good pic and a crap line pic. It was better than when plugged into the wall, but I might as well owned a $100 Sound Design E-bay made in 1973 amp right rather than a 452 McIntosh amp that has distortion and a noise floor so low it take high dollar equipment to test and create the owners manual spec sheets.

Hell even a Dog could not hear how quite these amps are suppose to be when right.

The good is after I got the line fixed. Man I tried ground lifts, looked into ground issues at the main, Neutrals etc.

Anyway power was running from 125-133 volts and 12%+ distortion in the line. OH by the way, they told me it was normal! For who? Idiots...

Tried it at several houses around me all the same. Once power was fixed the issue was solved.

Bottom line I wasted $7500+ trying to solve this, drove me NUTS..

OK, good luck so so sorry! Could be in the amp, but it could be crap power source like I had.

PS it was not a neighbor, solar or other dirty electrical feeding into the line in my case, just a crap power company. They had to add some filters, a clamp aka HUGE cap on the main transformed around the corner that fed into my house transformer, and I am the only house on my own transformer. So it was up-stream not my stuff..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112618_0924a.jpg (24.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 112618_0924b.jpg (29.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM

I suspect that if we are talking about a higher end B&M dealer then they have taken the appropriate steps to clean up the power in their building whether it be at the set-ups or in the repair shop. They would certainly not want equipment they are trying to demonstrate or repair buzzing. I am certain Ivan has taken the same steps in both of his locations too. So not a surprise that a borderline piece would make noise out in the wild and not in a "clean" store environment. The Emotiva nor the Niagra solved the problem so don't know if a Power Plant would help or not but maybe Ivan would.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Yes I took this amp to two of my friend's houses and got the same buzz as what I am experiencing in my house. And as far as I know here in Illinois there is only one company that takes care of the equipment and that is ComEd, even if get our power supplied from 3 or 4 different suppliers it still goes through ComEd no matter what, that is my understanding if I am wrong I would like to be corrected.

I bet that the dealer had their power taken care of, I mean they have to right, they do sell McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Classe, Rotel, B&W, Sonus etc.

I mean when I said this amp got dead silent it really did, it looked like it wasn't even turned on or plugged in the outlet, and of course I questioned them about it but you think I am getting the right answer, I mean do the employees there really know what had happened before the building was built.

I am leaning towards a power distortion of some sort, something is not right and it could very well be something from the outside that only the power company can fix but only if I convince them.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Default MC8207 Transformer Buzzing

I’d have them put a power analyze on your entrance meter. If it’s power that’s causing this, their analyzer should show anomalies.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 01-11-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM

What I was able to do was get the State Public Utility Comissioners office involved, then they forced them to put a recorder/monitor and capture the data fro a few days. Should the issue clear as day.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Hello again ! Just want to give you all an updated on my MA252 buzzing transformer troubles. I received brand new Emotiva CMX-2 device... No luck! No changes! MA252 transformer still buzzes and my speakers still emit that 60Hz buzz/hum...

Now I have Panamax M5300PM and Emotiva CMX-2 "protecting" and "filtering" my power, but my McIntosh amp still makes grumpy noises! Tried to use none , one at a time, both together ... Makes no difference....

Besides this MAC, I have five other amps/receivers.... No extra noise is emitted from any of them... and all of them utilize A/B amplification...

Beauty outside - ugly inside.... This is my experience with McIntosh.....

Last edited by TAliyev; 01-22-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAliyev View Post
Hello again ! Just want to give you all an updated on my MA252 buzzing transformer troubles. I received brand new Emotiva CMX-2 device... No luck! No changes! MA252 transformer still buzzes and my speakers still emit that 60Hz buzz/hum...

Now I have Panamax M5300PM and Emotiva CMX-2 "protecting" and "filtering" my power, but my McIntosh amp still makes grumpy noises! Tried to use none , one at a time, both together ... Makes no difference....

Besides this MAC, I have five other amps/receivers.... No extra noise is emited from any of them... and all of them utilize A/B amplification... same as MAC....

Beauty outside - ugly inside.... This is my experience with McIntosh.....
Two things to try>

This is a tube integrated amp — did you check the tubes?
There is a 3 year warranty to the original owner — did you get your dealer involved?

You should also start another thread.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-23-2019, 11:57 PM

The dealer says that once they confirm the issue, the amp will be sent to McIntosh and should take 4-6 weeks to get it fixed. It would be better if this store was closer. It is about 70 miles away from where I live… What a joy!

It is too late to start another thread… I do not want to duplicate posts…
Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Hey Cleeds.......I think you may be getting TAliyev mixed up with the OP's friend TomIV and his MC8207.

That's why I asked TAliyev to start a new thread because he has a MA252.

Getting off the original posters issue causes confusion.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Hey Cleeds.......I think you may be getting TAliyev mixed up with the OP's friend TomIV and his MC8207.

That's why I asked TAliyev to start a new thread because he has a MA252.

Getting off the original posters issue causes confusion.

Ron
Oops! My mistake! Thanks for the correction! I've deleted the post. You're right - it would be best for this to have its own thread.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Closed Thread