AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Default Does anyone here run the XP-30 with XA-100.5?

If so, are you happy with the XP-30's performance? How does it compare with the XP-20 or other preamps you may have tried in your system?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
If so, are you happy with the XP-30's performance? How does it compare with the XP-20 or other preamps you may have tried in your system?

Thanks,
Ken
Hi, Ken. (We seem to run into each other in most threads)

The XP-30 seems like a great preamp (but a bit expensive, at least for me, at $15,000+)

The easiest way to find out how these preamps would sound in your system is to call Mark at Reno Hi-Fi to do a home audition. All you pay for is round trip shipping. But I'm sure you knew this already.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 PM

I'm running the XP-30 with a pair of XA160.5s. It's an awesome preamp and I love it to death. I've also heard XA series amps with the XP-20, ARC REF 10, and some others I can't recall. There's just something about the XP-30 - a smoothness, with amazing transparency and musicality. I have no intention of ever parting with mine.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If so, are you happy with the XP-30's performance? How does it compare with the XP-20 or other preamps you may have tried in your system? Thanks, Ken
IMO the XP30 is worth the added expense when compared to the XP20. Transparency, weight, soundstage and bass detail are but a few of the areas where the XP30 easily betters the XP20. I ran the XP30 for a while with XA100.5s and then with XS300s. I no longer have the XP30 but it is an excellent preamp for the money.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
IMO the XP30 is worth the added expense when compared to the XP20. Transparency, weight, soundstage and bass detail are but a few of the areas where the XP30 easily betters the XP20. I ran the XP30 for a while with XA100.5s and then with XS300s. I no longer have the XP30 but it is an excellent preamp for the money.
Frank - do you have the Xs-300 amps as part of your system? I so, please do share your impressions on those monster amps. I think Pass Labs just came out with a new Xs-series preamp to match the looks and performance of the Xs-150 and Xs-300.

Last edited by cma29; 10-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Frank - do you have the Xs-300 amps as part of your system? I so, please do share your impressions on those monster amps. I think Pass Labs just came out with a new Xs-series preamp to match the looks and performance of the Xs-150 and Xs-300.
Yes, I have the XS300s. Have had them for a little over a year. Unfortunately I had to send them back to Pass last week for repair. Had a burning smell coming from one of them and Pass asked that I send both back.

My dealer gave me a pair of XA100.5s to use in the meantime so a good chance to refresh my memory with those terrific amps.

While very good, the XA100.5 is not in any way close in performance to the XS300. Whether it be transparency, soundstage, bass, midrange or the upper registers, the XS 300 is undeniably superior. Whether they're $70,000 superior is up to the individual spending the money. To me they are worth it.

I was actually considering and had an order in for the XS Pre but ended up going with the ARC Ref 10 and Ref 10 Phono. I traded in the XP30 and XP25 to do it. I'm very happy with the move. While the Pass pair are very good, the Ref10 and Ref10 Phono ramp up performance to levels I haven't heard in my system previously. I've had a lot of experience with ARC in the past so I seem to always gravitate back, especially when it comes to the preamp.

For reference, the rest of my system is The Sonus Faber (Fenice) speaker, MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable and ICs, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron power cords, Shunyata Triton/ Typhon conditioner, SME 30/12 with Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement and Playback Designs MPS-5 CD.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have the XS300s. Have had them for a little over a year. Unfortunately I had to send them back to Pass last week for repair. Had a burning smell coming from one of them and Pass asked that I send both back.

My dealer gave me a pair of XA100.5s to use in the meantime so a good chance to refresh my memory with those terrific amps.

While very good, the XA100.5 is not in any way close in performance to the XS300. Whether it be transparency, soundstage, bass, midrange or the upper registers, the XS 300 is undeniably superior. Whether they're $70,000 superior is up to the individual spending the money. To me they are worth it.

I was actually considering and had an order in for the XS Pre but ended up going with the ARC Ref 10 and Ref 10 Phono. I traded in the XP30 and XP25 to do it. I'm very happy with the move. While the Pass pair are very good, the Ref10 and Ref10 Phono ramp up performance to levels I haven't heard in my system previously. I've had a lot of experience with ARC in the past so I seem to always gravitate back, especially when it comes to the preamp.

For reference, the rest of my system is The Sonus Faber (Fenice) speaker, MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable and ICs, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron power cords, Shunyata Triton/ Typhon conditioner, SME 30/12 with Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement and Playback Designs MPS-5 CD.

Terrific system Frank, thanks for sharing! Mine is currently under construction but is gradually getting there.

Ken
Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Hi Frank,
wow amazing system
the playback designs is a very very great source.
I like the mps3 too (the "little" of the family...)
the choice between the playback D. MPS3 and a Estoteric K03 is hard....expecialy why the Mps3 is ca. 1/3 minus expensive from the K03!!!

@Ken: I have a Xp20. Yes, is a great preampli. sure the xp30 will be better but the more money necessary to have the Xp30 is really The right choice?

I think that the Arc REF5se can make a great sound for much minus $$$.

Omar
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Frank,

Could you describe the sound of the XP-30 coupled with the XA100.5s? Did you like the synergy?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Frank, Could you describe the sound of the XP-30 coupled with the XA100.5s? Did you like the synergy? Thanks, Ken
Sure Ken. You absolutely can't go wrong putting the XP 30 together with the XA100.5. I owned the ARC Ref Anniversary when I took the XP30 home to try. I was parting with ARC REF610s at the time and brought home the XA100.5 to sample along with the XP30. I actually sold the Ref Anniversary so I could pair up the XP30 with the XA100.5.

The XP30 controls bass as well as any preamp I've owned. Better in fact than the Ref Anniversary. The XP30 also has great bass definition and I think helps in the bass area with the XA100.5 as I don't think bass is the XA100s strongest suit. Certainly not bad though, don't misunderstand. The XP30 and XA100.5 together produce an extremely smooth, liquid and transparent sound that you can listen to for hours on end. There is no hardness or edginess that makes you want to stop listening. Soundstage is very good both in terms of height, width and depth. Image placement and definition are very good as well although not quite to the degree of excellence provided by the Ref Anniversary. No real slight there considering the difference in cost.

I've been through a few big Krells, Jeff Rowland Model 9s and a lot of ARC tubes. I really like Pass amps and I like the XP30, especially at its price. Between the XP20 and 30 I would pay the extra money all day long to take the XP30.