AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
The Architect

Default ModWright KWA150SE Power Amp Review from Enjoy The Music

ModWright Instruments KWA 150 Signature Edition Amplifier Calling out the big boys. Review By Phil Gold
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Genuflector

Hi JJinID,

Just a note to say I can (subjectively) confirm that indeed the SE amps call out the big boys. I run a pair of KWA150SEs in mono-mode and they seem to find the right balance between nuance and authority -> driving my Martin Logan CLXs oh so sweetly. Anyway, I heard this was a great forum from someone over on the Martin Logan Owners forum (MLO), figured I'd come check it out.

Cheers,

Todd

p.s. This is also my first post because it appears, from what I can gather, that newbies must post at least 10 times before they can start a new thread (i.e. introduce themselves on the appropriate thread). Maybe I'm missing something, but rather than pester the forum chief, figured I'd work it this way first.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM

tsv_1... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
Hi JJinID,

Just a note to say I can (subjectively) confirm that indeed the SE amps call out the big boys. I run a pair of KWA150SEs in mono-mode and they seem to find the right balance between nuance and authority -> driving my Martin Logan CLXs oh so sweetly. Anyway, I heard this was a great forum from someone over on the Martin Logan Owners forum (MLO), figured I'd come check it out.

Cheers,

Todd
Welcome to AA Todd! Glad to hear you like the KWA150SEs with your CLXs. Tell us more about yourself and the rest of your system!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Welcome to AA Todd! Glad to hear you like the KWA150SEs with your CLXs. Tell us more about yourself and the rest of your system!
Thanks JJinID - and thanks to Jwhite as well for the warm welcome.

OK - briefly, I live in Southern Maine, work for a large semiconductor company and have been in the industry since '82. Just turned 50 (insert half-deflated black balloons here ). Wife, three kids, one in college, dog, cats, yadda yadda.

Been into hifi since the mid 70s (mid teen years). Will share specifics on how/why so young at another time.

Have owned a slew of different brands through the years as I'm sure most of us here have. I've always loved planars and had my share of Maggies, but the gravitational pull from Logans has always been the strongest.

I have two systems at the moment (worth mentioning).

1) Primary 2-channel music-only system: Olive 04HD coax spdif to a W4S DAC2, the DAC2 is acting as my pre-amp currently (while I consider a tube pre), the DAC drives the ModWright amps which in turn drive the CLXs. This setup is in my home-office over-the-garage affair. Good sized room (24 x 26) with low sloping cathedral ceiling (very short side knee-walls). The system also sports two ML Depthi subs (also driven directly from the DAC2). I use a PS Audio PPP for power conditioning. And there's also an Oppo-BDP93 which I run (via HDMI) through an audio bitstream de-embedder which outputs Toslink to the DAC2. This way I can play my SACD collection by using the Oppo's internal DSD>24/88 transcoder... actually sound pretty darn good. Cabling is a mix of Morrow Audio and White Zombie.

2) 7.1 Home Theater: ML Requests and Logos up front, with Script sourrounds and rears. Also running Velo DD-10 sub as well as tactile transducers attached to each of the 7 recliners (4 in back on a raised platform to allow full screen visibility over the three chairs in front). The screen is a Carada cinewide 12 footer. Projector is a Panny PT-AE3000. Amps are Pass Labs X5 and X150, Controller is a Denon 3808ci (used as decoder, switcher, and pre-amp only). Sources include Xbox, PS2, Cable TV, and Oppo-BDP83. Cabling is mostly Transparent.

Note that the attached photo is about 6 months old. At that time, I was running with Prima Luna pre and monos. Loved the sound, but the 80W/ch simply wasn't sufficient to drive the CLXs in every situation.

Thank you again for the warm welcome and have a great day!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Genuflector

BTW, are ALL posts moderated (screened)... or is that just because I'm a newbie? I have to say it's a bit of a buzz-kill. Other forums I belong to allow for instantaneous posting... which works wonders for my "gotta have it now... can't wait" faux-angst
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
From the BAT cave ...

tsv 1, welcome aboard!

Just newbies get screened as a spam deterrent. I don't remember the cut-off for sure, but I think after 10 you are good to go.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
Thanks JJinID - and thanks to Jwhite as well for the warm welcome.

OK - briefly, I live in Southern Maine, work for a large semiconductor company and have been in the industry since '82. Just turned 50 (insert half-deflated black balloons here ). Wife, three kids, one in college, dog, cats, yadda yadda.

Been into hifi since the mid 70s (mid teen years). Will share specifics on how/why so young at another time.

Have owned a slew of different brands through the years as I'm sure most of us here have. I've always loved planars and had my share of Maggies, but the gravitational pull from Logans has always been the strongest.

I have two systems at the moment (worth mentioning).

1) Primary 2-channel music-only system: Olive 04HD coax spdif to a W4S DAC2, the DAC2 is acting as my pre-amp currently (while I consider a tube pre), the DAC drives the ModWright amps which in turn drive the CLXs. This setup is in my home-office over-the-garage affair. Good sized room (24 x 26) with low sloping cathedral ceiling (very short side knee-walls). The system also sports two ML Depthi subs (also driven directly from the DAC2). I use a PS Audio PPP for power conditioning. And there's also an Oppo-BDP93 which I run (via HDMI) through an audio bitstream de-embedder which outputs Toslink to the DAC2. This way I can play my SACD collection by using the Oppo's internal DSD>24/88 transcoder... actually sound pretty darn good. Cabling is a mix of Morrow Audio and White Zombie.

2) 7.1 Home Theater: ML Requests and Logos up front, with Script sourrounds and rears. Also running Velo DD-10 sub as well as tactile transducers attached to each of the 7 recliners (4 in back on a raised platform to allow full screen visibility over the three chairs in front). The screen is a Carada cinewide 12 footer. Projector is a Panny PT-AE3000. Amps are Pass Labs X5 and X150, Controller is a Denon 3808ci (used as decoder, switcher, and pre-amp only). Sources include Xbox, PS2, Cable TV, and Oppo-BDP83. Cabling is mostly Transparent.

Note that the attached photo is about 6 months old. At that time, I was running with Prima Luna pre and monos. Loved the sound, but the 80W/ch simply wasn't sufficient to drive the CLXs in every situation.

Thank you again for the warm welcome and have a great day!

Todd, welcome!!! We're glad to have you. I must say, your room is not only impressive but also very warm and welcoming...not an easy task for media-type rooms, if you ask me. Awesome stuff!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
What?

Hi tsv 1.

Ah ha, I knew I recognized your system (I've seen it 'elsewhere'). I'm a fan of Modwright. I believe they give the big dogs a run for their money for sure. Those CLX's are serious. Welcome to our madness.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Genuflector

Chessman, 8zzD, and MC602,

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words. The individual who said "they are a good bunch of guys over there on AA" wasn't just whistling Dixie. Well, I guess he could have been - God knows what he could have been whistling at the time. Regardless, his comment about AA seems on-point

As an aside, I've been eyeballing a MW LS100 tube pre to inject a little more of that lovely thermionic emmisive sound into my setup. I see there's another thread here with some discussion about that pre. I may amble on over for some not-so-covert recon.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I'll be poking around a fair mount here, virtually looking over shoulders, and checking out other systems, etc.... and most definitely looking forward to interacting with you further.

Cheers, Todd