AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 12-23-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post

Krell FBP 350Mc modified and Krell KRC-HR will finally end up together at my office.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Hi,

What is the source for those Glass? & wood headphone stands?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I discovered that it was not a good idea to have the headphones laying down in the rack. The scratching sound when I move them is awful. I had to have something to hold them.

This works very well.

Now I'v played Focal Utopia and EAR HP4 for 75h and it's like normal equipment I think. The sound is getting smother, better and more relaxed.
Stunning headphone stands! What make and model are those? Love it.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Hi,

What is the source for those Glass? & wood headphone stands?

Thanks,
Todd
You mean this?

Quote:
I don't really understand what you mean. My English is not the best. Sorry.

Do you mean "source" as signal source as digital or analogue? Or the oak-foundation of the acrylic head for the headphones.

Please rephrase.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HaVoC-Tzu- View Post
Stunning headphone stands! What make and model are those? Love it.
Thank you!

I tried to find out since I'v forgot the brand of the stand.
The HiFi-store where I bought the stand has no information about it on their website. Sorry.
Oppo and AmoVee has got i similar ones.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM

One other thing about the service and modification of Krell FBP 350Mc. 5 op-amps in each monoblock was replaced with new and better ones.
In one monoblock there was one that did not measured as the others. The bias control was a bit off in one monoblock All of them in both were replaced with the new ones.

My knowledge about these specific component and their effect on sound are not much.
What is it to expect about the performance and sound from new Op-amps compared to old ones.

Witch components generally degenerate with age and witch components keep their performance during a long time.
The obvious easy answer is that electrolytic capacitor are degenerating during time. Some more components?

Last edited by Apexorca; 01-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Apexorca, first of congrats on a great system. I hope to get mine up at some point. I regret having overlooked this forum very much because I spent so much effort (for me) to display my system in the incorrect (IMO) manufacturers forums. I'm not much of a photographer. Just don't have the time. Although retired, I have many projects. I have somebody's book to read before it is published etc and so much other stuff.

Also, I spent the last year doing what for me was simply the most massive upgrade you can imagine. I took a lot of pics and posted them in the incorrect forum. Toothpaste squeezed out of the tube.

I have great respect for what you have accomplished with your system. I owned Krell equipment many years ago almost exactly like yours. For example I owned your preamp. I found it to be just superb. Also the stereo version of your monophonic Krell amps. It was/is great equipment, every bit as good as today's. Again, congrats of your efforts and I believe you have achieved greatness in high end audio.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) and Wilson Watch Controller
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and IC’s; Dragon power cords (8)
Sub-woofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable; Wolf IC and Hurricane power cords (2)
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (2); (4) 20-amp lines
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apexorca, first of congrats on a great system. I hope to get mine up at some point. I regret having overlooked this forum very much because I spent so much effort (for me) to display my system in the incorrect (IMO) manufacturers forums. I'm not much of a photographer. Just don't have the time. Although retired, I have many projects. I have somebody's book to read before it is published etc and so much other stuff.

Also, I spent the last year doing what for me was simply the most massive upgrade you can imagine. I took a lot of pics and posted them in the incorrect forum. Toothpaste squeezed out of the tube.

I have great respect for what you have accomplished with your system. I owned Krell equipment many years ago almost exactly like yours. For example I owned your preamp. I found it to be just superb. Also the stereo version of your monophonic Krell amps. It was/is great equipment, every bit as good as today's. Again, congrats of your efforts and I believe you have achieved greatness in high end audio.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) and Wilson Watch Controller
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and IC’s; Dragon power cords (8)
Sub-woofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable; Wolf IC and Hurricane power cords (2)
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (2); (4) 20-amp lines

Thank you Charles! I think it's great fun to climb this mountain. Krell 350Mc are not ment to replace Gryphon Antileon signature. At least until now, when 350Mc are not broken in jet, they are behind Gryphon due to my taste. They are at bit thinner in sound over all and brighter. Gryphon has got more air and tube like timbre. Voices are warmer and has got more natural voicing. The mid bas power is better with slightly mor dynamic, but the lower frequencies are not as powerful as in Gryphon. But the great power and extraordinary control from 350Mc when playing very loud is great fun. Krell can sometimes in some recordings be a bit harsh compared to Gryphon with brass instruments. Though, I think this will be better during the break in period.

I had to do something about my curiosity about my assumption that especially older well made poweramps are still very good and can compete up against new produced high quality poweramps. Off course they have to be refurbished and that is not to expensive actually.

For example I have owned a Krell Evo amp as well but I think FPB is more fun to listen to.

I'm looking forward to read about your efforts in your system. It must reproduce music extraordinary.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you Charles! I think it's great fun to climb this mountain. Krell 350Mc are not ment to replace Gryphon Antileon signature. At least until now, when 350Mc are not broken in jet, they are behind Gryphon due to my taste. They are at bit thinner in sound over all and brighter. Gryphon has got more air and tube like timbre. Voices are warmer and has got more natural voicing. The mid bas power is better with slightly mor dynamic, but the lower frequencies are not as powerful as in Gryphon. But the great power and extraordinary control from 350Mc when playing very loud is great fun. Krell can sometimes in some recordings be a bit harsh compared to Gryphon with brass instruments. Though, I think this will be better during the break in period.

I had to do something about my curiosity about my assumption that especially older well made poweramps are still very good and can compete up against new produced high quality poweramps. Off course they have to be refurbished and that is not to expensive actually.

For example I have owned a Krell Evo amp as well but I think FPB is more fun to listen to.

I'm looking forward to read about your efforts in your system. It must reproduce music extraordinary.
Apexorca, it is very good to make your acquaintance. I think you are exactly correct about some vintage equipment. The Krell equipment was designed by Dan D'agostino when a much younger man. Might I suggest you look for a couple (maybe even four) of his Master Reference mono amps. These will be totally competitive with his Relentless amps of today. Probably superior to anything on the market today. I appreciate your encouragement. I think it is wonderful how folks that live in different countries, of different phases in life, can appreciate the common ground that music and high end audio provides. Again I think you are on the right track with all your choices and I love your choice of speaker. I will try to get my system up.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apexorca, it is very good to make your acquaintance. I think you are exactly correct about some vintage equipment. The Krell equipment was designed by Dan D'agostino when a much younger man. Might I suggest you look for a couple (maybe even four) of his Master Reference mono amps. These will be totally competitive with his Relentless amps of today. Probably superior to anything on the market today. I appreciate your encouragement. I think it is wonderful how folks that live in different countries, of different phases in life, can appreciate the common ground that music and high end audio provides. Again I think you are on the right track with all your choices and I love your choice of speaker. I will try to get my system up.
Same to you Charles.
Dan D'Agostino is one of the biggest stars in High-End audio and together with Andrew Jones, Franco Serblin, David Wilson and some more almost iconic. Still productive and at his best.
Krell and Dan has got a very high status in the Scandinavian countries and there are a lot of system with Krell here.