AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 AM

Default Amazing trip plus meeting with exceptional people

Hi guys,

I'm finally back from my vacation which were followed by a seminar in Sardinia. All in all, I took 9 different flights in 2 weeks and I'm exhausted but happy.

The first few days were in Bangkok where I visited all the major temples and the royal palace. I took a trip along the river and I discovered the joy of air conditioned museums. I really loved the city in all its quirkiness. The people are amazing and the food is excellent. I highly recommend Nahm and Issaya Siamese Club.

In Bangkok, you learn to sweat. It is a city sized hammam and there is no way to avoid sweating if you want to walk outside, no matter how brief. It's a little graphic stat but I must have drank between 3 or 4 liter of water each day and I barely went once to the toilet. I was one giant sweating machine.

I discovered in Bangkok the most impressive mall I've ever seen even better than Dubai! It's the first time I see car dealership in a mall, on the third floor nonetheless. I'm not talking Toyota but Porsche, BMW, Lambo, McLaren, Rolls Royce, ... Just in front of an audio dealership (one that is not selling Bose in a mall) with all the Sonus range, MacIntosh and ARC plus some impressive MBL.

It's the first time I see such brands sold in a mall.

Following Bangkok, it was time to relax in Bali. First stop was in Ubud, up in the mountains, and we stayed at Kayumanis where I booked a private villa of 3500sq feet including a private pool at an insane price. I would barely get a small room at a decent hotel in Europe for the same price. The villa was lost in the jungle and close to rice fields. We did a trek over there and it is a really wonderful place. I also visited the monkey forest which is a temple complex filled with hundreds of monkeys. I made the mistake to sit down to take a picture and I had two monkeys jump over me and played with my hair.

I also tasted the Luwak coffee which is produced from the beans found in the feces of a civet. This is one of the rarest coffee as they barely produce a few pounds a day. It has a very smooth taste, one of the smoothest I tasted and it is filled with flavour.

I spent only a night there and if I had to do it again, I would spend at least another night there. After leaving Ubud, we went to Jimabaran along the sea with a vast expense of beaches. It was time for relaxation with beach day and some spa. We ended the day with a trip to Uluwatu which is a temple at the end of a cliff and where a dancing troupe was performing the Cecak dance every night.
We also made a trip along the east coast to visit the temples and royal mansions.

I was impressed by how nice the Balinese are and how they spoke perfect english. The food was much cheaper than in Bangkok even in the high end place but I found that it was more rustic and lacking the more defined flavour of Thai cuisine.

The next leg was Singapore which I didn't enjoy as much as Bangkok. My friend who lived there for over 4 months described it as a "not really" city. It is asian but not really, it is big but not really, service is good but not really, they speak english but not really, weather is nice but not really... I still enjoyed my time there and I had the time to do all the main attractions : Gardens by the Bay (impressive), Rooftop drinks at Bay sands, Night safari, Sendosa and the Aquarium, Little India, Arab Street and China Town, Rooftop at Raffles (highly disappointing, wouldn't recommend). I wanted to visit Singapore as I had some friends there and I wanted to see what it was all about. However, unlike Bangkok, I don't feel the need to go there again.

Finally, the last leg was a last day in Bangkok before returning to France. I was woken up by a tropical rain and thunder at 5am which barely cooled down the city. After a quick jump to MBK mall to see some cameras, I went back to the hotel to meet Ron (aka bachrock) and Toga. They first took me right across the street to a mall with many shops selling high end audio. It was not surprising that Toga was greeted like an old friend in those places. I had the chance to briefly listen to some Avalon, which were quite good and see more exclusive gear.

They then took me to another place where they knew a good camera place. I bought a Nikon D610 with its grip and the AFS 24-70mm f2.8 at a great discount compared to Europe. And we had a great lunch in the mall where I had other Thai dishes. It has become my favorite Asian food. I love how they vary the flavour with different spices and fresh vegetables.

Finally, they invited me to their homes. They live 5 min away from each other! Toga system is simply impressive. The Q7 are monsters and much more impressive than the Aida (though not as good looking). The Griffon amp is a beast, much bigger than most amps. The bass is out of this world. We played some Metallica (Enter Sandman) and the bass was the cleanest I heard. We had some classical music and the precision and soundstage were unbelievable. This is a first rate system.

We then went to Ron's place, which was getting nervous after the demonstration at Toga's. He fired up the MC275 plugged into the Guarneri. I found the amazing Sonus sound that I love so much. The richness in the mids is amazing and you get all the emotion in the music. Sonus and tube are a love story and, even though it's not the most perfect sound, it remains my favorite. Those are two awesome systems with different philosophies but great in their own rights.

I'm lucky to have found AA where you can meet exceptional people like Ron and Toga which are extremely nice. They took great care of me and I wish I had more time to spend with them. We became friends really fast and you have both an open invitation to Paris. Toga, I expect you soon as you will now fly to Paris

I'll post pictures as soon as I get them edited. I took over 1 400 shots (many are useless).
Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM

Toga's system with the new glass. Can you see the R2R on the sides and the Star Wars goodies ?

Ron, Toga and me at Ron's place around the Guarneri

Rolls and Sonus at Paragon, they do go well together

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130101untitled03-08-18-2.jpg (310.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20140424untitled13-58-58.jpg (372.7 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20130101untitled04-47-03.jpg (354.6 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by antipop; 05-08-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM

Georges,

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I enjoyed reading about your travel adventure.

Thanks for the review and the photos.

Cheers,
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM

I sort of had the same impression of Bangkok and Singapore as you did. Both places are unique.

The food in the region is fantastic, specially in Singapore, with a mix of all the cultures and cuisines around them.

In Singapore, did you go to the Adelphi? That's their "hi-end audio" mall, with lots of stores, right next to each other, with some LP/CD stores thrown in too. You would've gotten a better impression if you had spent some time there

In Bangkok, I've been to that mall, with the car and audio dealerships next to each other. Amazing!

Overall, sounds like you had a fun trip!

alexandre
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Alexandre, I went to Adelphi but most of the store were closed. There was impressive gear in that place but they didn't look as inviting as the one I saw in Bangkok for some odd reason.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM

The surroundings, I guess?
The Paragon is indeed much nicer overall, but the gear available at the Adelphi was sensational.

alexandre
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Georges... thanks for sharing, we missed you!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Georges... thanks for sharing, we missed you!
Thank you Ivan

I missed my friends on AA too.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Oh yes, I missed you....so much stories to tell you since you're gone!

Welcome back in Paris, my friend.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 PM

WOW !!

Super trip and meeting with cool audiophile friends ! What a blast !
Welcome back Georges !