AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM

It's probably not sonically better its just that the perception is it's better because there is so much more audio information coming at you plus the SPL will be higher due to having 3 or 5 additional channels of sound. Either would give the impression of more fidelity.

Nothing wrong with that approach as I'm a huge fan of matrix surround processing of stereo content as well, I'm using Logic 7, in my opinion a much more immersive and customizable technology than Dolby Pro Logic IIx or dts Neo:6, THX Utra2 (I have all 4 available in my MC-12), or any in house Bryston mode. It's just a shame that the full blown version of L7 died with the Lexicon MC series products and wasn't licensed to 3rd party manufacturers.

Apparently the Dolby Upmixer (successor to DPLIIz) and Auro matrix surround mode are very very good but of course you need a receiver or SSP with Dolby ATMOS and/or Auro 3D to get those plus you would need the additional speakers.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
It's probably not sonically better its just that the perception is it's better because there is so much more audio information coming at you plus the SPL will be higher due to having 3 or 5 additional channels of sound. Either would give the impression of more fidelity.

Nothing wrong with that approach as I'm a huge fan of matrix surround processing of stereo content as well, I'm using Logic 7, in my opinion a much more immersive and customizable technology than Dolby Pro Logic IIx or dts Neo:6, THX Utra2 (I have all 4 available in my MC-12), or any in house Bryston mode. It's just a shame that the full blown version of L7 died with the Lexicon MC series products and wasn't licensed to 3rd party manufacturers.

Apparently the Dolby Upmixer (successor to DPLIIz) and Auro matrix surround mode are very very good but of course you need a receiver or SSP with Dolby ATMOS and/or Auro 3D to get those plus you would need the additional speakers.
What is your sentiment on ATMOS?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM

I'm very intrigued but unfortunately I can't experiment as I live in an apartment and can't just go drilling and cutting into the ceiling

For movies it's a no brainer for me, I see so much potential there for audio envelopment.

For music I'm not sold yet so I would need to experience it. There is Auro3D music content already, not sure if there is ATMOS stuff though. Moving from stereo to 5.1 to 7.1 to 9.1 all works for music (well for me anyways) but going into the y axis that's the part I'm not so sure of, having music coming at you from above seems a bit weird but who knows maybe it would just serve to give and even better sense of a live experience.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM

Default SP3 April Firmware upgrade

Just did the update and now all user settings at factory default. I seen the release notes around this, but I couldn't get to the SP3 in time to cancel setting to default. Is there any way to recover my user settings?

"User setup will be re-defaulted to factory settings on new firmware upgrade, but a warning screen and a choice is given allowing the user to cancel the reset by pressing any front panel button."

This option goes away after a time out period.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Just did the update and now all user settings at factory default. I seen the release notes around this, but I couldn't get to the SP3 in time to cancel setting to default. Is there any way to recover my user settings?

"User setup will be re-defaulted to factory settings on new firmware upgrade, but a warning screen and a choice is given allowing the user to cancel the reset by pressing any front panel button."

This option goes away after a time out period.

Thanks,
Brian
HI Brian

I do not think so but email Stan - Stan Bleszynski at Bryston

stanbleszynski@gmail.com

james
Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Just did the update and now all user settings at factory default. I seen the release notes around this, but I couldn't get to the SP3 in time to cancel setting to default. Is there any way to recover my user settings? "User setup will be re-defaulted to factory settings on new firmware upgrade, but a warning screen and a choice is given allowing the user to cancel the reset by pressing any front panel button." This option goes away after a time out period. Thanks, Brian
I am afraid that you will lose some settings when you upgrade your firmware.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:13 PM

Hi everyone.
I've just purchased a SP3 and a set of 7B SST2's for the main channels.
Fantastic amps!
I have a problem and don't know what forum to use, so I'll use this if you'll all forgive me.
When using my CD player - Lyngdorf CD-1 - on 2 channel bypass on the SP3, I sometimes hear a "clicking" or "cracking" noise in the loudspeakers.
I know it's not the SP3 because switching around the RCA cables on the CD player, the "clicking" changed channels as well.
I upgraded to XLR cables but of course it didn't eliminate the problem.
It is not a problem on all CD's, perhaps 10%.
Is it really down to bad quality on the CD's? Or is it the CD player that's the joker here?

Regards

Claus
Old 05-27-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Hi everyone.
I've just purchased a SP3 and a set of 7B SST2's for the main channels.
Fantastic amps!
I have a problem and don't know what forum to use, so I'll use this if you'll all forgive me.
When using my CD player - Lyngdorf CD-1 - on 2 channel bypass on the SP3, I sometimes hear a "clicking" or "cracking" noise in the loudspeakers.
I know it's not the SP3 because switching around the RCA cables on the CD player, the "clicking" changed channels as well.
I upgraded to XLR cables but of course it didn't eliminate the problem.
It is not a problem on all CD's, perhaps 10%.
Is it really down to bad quality on the CD's? Or is it the CD player that's the joker here?

Regards

Claus
Hi Claus

Have you tried another source on that Bypass input? If it is only the CD player causing the click then it would definitely tell us the CD player is the culprit.

james
Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM

Just updated my firmware to u2016.04b on sp3 and found an annoying glitch, going from bal-1 2 ch bypass to the DVDs input remains on 2 ch bypass and won't switch to hdmi automatically even though hdmi is set for dvd. Going to cable/sat from bal-1 2 ch bypass correctly reverts to hdmi, only the dvd input won't remember it's hdmi setting. Of course I only have to press the hdmi button after this switch, but it's a pain. My previous firmware didn't do this. Any comments guys?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedgewick View Post
Just updated my firmware to u2016.04b on sp3 and found an annoying glitch, going from bal-1 2 ch bypass to the DVDs input remains on 2 ch bypass and won't switch to hdmi automatically even though hdmi is set for dvd. Going to cable/sat from bal-1 2 ch bypass correctly reverts to hdmi, only the dvd input won't remember it's hdmi setting. Of course I only have to press the hdmi button after this switch, but it's a pain. My previous firmware didn't do this. Any comments guys?
Hi

Please email Stan at Bryston.

sbleszynski@bryston.com

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 06-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.