AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Cruise Often? Favorite Caribbean Ports?

My wife and I have cruised the Caribbean a number of times and have definite "favorites" among the many ports that are frequented by cruise ships.

Actually our two favorites are not ports at all, but are islands "next door" to the islands where the ships dock.

1. Nevis - located "right next" to the port island St. Kitts. We land on St. Kitts and almost immediately go to the ferry dock and take the short boat ride over to Nevis.

2. St. John (USVI) - Located a few short ferry ride miles from St. Thomas. St Thomas is great for shopping, but St. John is a tropical paradise and is easily reachable by ferry from downtown St. Thomas or from the docks at Red Hook.

3. Our next most favorite is the port island of Grenada which is gorgeous.

4. If you don't go over to Nevis, St. Kitts is a beautiful island as well.

I've just listed four . . . because I sincerely hope others here will join in and point out some of their favorites.

I could go on with Barbados, Dominica, St. Martin/Sint Maarten, St. Lucia etc. etc. but would like to hear from others.

ST KITTS AND NEVIS

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 08-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM

In the Caribbean it depends on what you want to do when you get the a island. My iwfe would answer St. Maarten and St. Thomas because of the shopping. For beaches St. Johns and the French side of St. Martin. Grenada and St Lucia have some nice attractions. I have never been overly crazy about Aruba or Curacao. Barbados has some nice beaches but we never enjoyed Martinique.

Now my favorite island just to spend a day overlooking the water and having some lunch and drinks is Santorini. What a beautiful view.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 AM

I don't cruise, but I do travel to the Caribbean for diving quite a bit. Looking at that map, I'd have to say Antigua and Dominica are two of my favorites.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Audio Enthusiast

We liked St John a lot when our cruise stopped there. We've cruised to Bermuda three times and really like it for the snorkeling at Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay. Next time we'll fly there and stay a week, so we can really enjoy it. We're headed for Cancun in December for the third time. Love the Westin Lagunamare there. For beach and pool this is top notch.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Music Lover

1.curaçao- great town to shop, great diving
2.Aruba-amazing beaches
3.Cozumel- best drift dive I've ever had & I'd go back just to dive again. Don't need to see anything else on this island again though.

Favorite ship - Freedom Of The Seas

We've done 5 different Caribbean cruises. These are our favorite islands so far.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM
From the BAT cave ...

for St. John.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Retired

Ocho Rios in Jamaica isn't much of a port (as with most of the Caribbean ports, IMHO), but tubing down the White River is an absolute blast. Don't forget your beer. Grand Cayman in is also nice, but that is a result of the diving and fishing rather than the port/town. St. Martin/St. Maarten is pretty nice compared to the others. Depending on what you are looking for, the cruise ship owned small islands can be nice. Princess Cay was delightful for just floating around in the 2-3' surf and wonderfully warm water in January last. We are heading down again this January, unless we decide to go to Tahiti, instead. Unlike most, we like being at sea every bit as much as being in port. We've cruised with Princess, Holland America & Royal Caribbean and find that all three do an excellent job with their various tours/activities while in port. While we always do Europe on our own, we find the tours the best/safest way to get around on cruises to the Caribbean.

Wife just sent me this, which you might find interesting:
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...nd-hotels-2014
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 09-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Ditto on St. John. Add to the list Virgin Gorda and St Barts.