AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM

I'm removing the power supply myself (or will try) this weekend. I called Ft Worth Audio and they quoted me a price along with a 1 week turn around time for the rebuild. They told me I might as well just remove it and sent it to them versus shipping the entire unit because all they do is remove and rebuild the power supply, nothing else and the rest would be up to me (or another repair service provider)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM

I'm a little concerned about the "final bill" so to speak, meaning that I know the cost of the power supply rebuild but what next?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
I'm a little concerned about the "final bill" so to speak, meaning that I know the cost of the power supply rebuild but what next?
Doug.......If you are fortunate, there may be no additional costs. Once you have the rebuilt power supply reinstalled in the MS750 you may find that the server boots, the transport works again, and everything operates properly. Otherwise you will have to replace the hard drive and install a fresh copy of the operating system on the new hard drive. Of course this also means you will have to reload your music. This is exactly what happened to me with my MS750, but once completed the server worked like brand new. I have since sold the MS750 to my friend Pete (Vintage Pete) who enjoys it tremendously in his McIntosh system. It is working perfectly.

Should you need it, the Seagate 750GB IDE hard drive in the MS750 is still available from weaknees.com https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvr-hard-drive.php . It is the second one listed (NEW 750 GB Seagate DB35 Hard Drive (PATA/IDE ST3750840ACE). If you require a hard drive replacement send me a PM for special instructions.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks Dan, I'll likely need some instruction/guidance with the hard drive anyway since I need the whole thing wiped clean (it has someone else's music on it) I'm starting to feel a little more positive and I appreciate everyone's help. We have a pretty good group of (likely) crazy people here!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Going with Ft. Worth is absolutely the right move. I also put a new drive in my MS300, a 750 version. I do recall needing the disc with the software which Chuck at Mc was kind enough to supply, called "MS complete" followed by a few numbers. I believe you will have to hook up to the Internet also, but my memory is a bit foggy on that. I have to reboot my unit once a week for reasons unknown but performance has been perfect since the PS rebuild.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Update: Power supply/board is at Ft Worth Audio, just waiting for repair. Should have it back sometime next week.
Side Note: dumb question perhaps but is there an easy way to incorporate a tablet to be used in conjunction with an ms750 versus a monitor or television? Simple answer is to sell the ms750 (for a big loss) after it's repaired and buy some type of a a network player right?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Default MS750 problem???

I think you can access the web server via your browser on a tablet. Just punch in the unit's address in the address bar. You have to be on the same network.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
Update: Power supply/board is at Ft Worth Audio, just waiting for repair. Should have it back sometime next week.
Side Note: dumb question perhaps but is there an easy way to incorporate a tablet to be used in conjunction with an ms750 versus a monitor or television? Simple answer is to sell the ms750 (for a big loss) after it's repaired and buy some type of a a network player right?
Doug.......If you have your MS750 Ethernet connected to your home network router, simply type in the MS750 IP address on your tablet or networked computer and the MS750 menu will come up.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Ok, thank you. I'll definitely have some more connectivity questions soon but 1st thing is 1st, which is getting the PS back, installed and hopefully running. I sincerely appreciate all your help guys...I know helping guys like me with very old stuff probably isn't as fun and cool as delving into the newest products, etc. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Sad to report I just wasted more time and $. I got the board back from Ft Worth Audio and finally had time to put it back in today. I re installed it with high hopes and wait for it, wait for it..... STILL does not light up the faceplate, still pulses the red standby light, still repeatedly makes a faint beep followed by a "click" noise and that's all. So frustrated. What's next guys. Damn it.