AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM

Jeff,

I was able to spend a few hours with the S1200 today and watched a couple of concerts and some movie.

I did a comparison between the S1200 the Ref5se with and Audio Reseach DAC 8 as the source connected to an Apple Mac Mini. The two preamps sound very different as expected. The S1200 has a very energetic sound with deep and powerful bass with very detailed highs. I heard bass notes that I never heard or felt.
In comparison to the S1200, the REF 5SE is more laid back with smoother vocals and slightly deeper soundstage. Which one did I prefer? Well, while listening
to S1200, I never had an urge to switch back to the REF 5SE. As a preamp/processor, the S1200's performance in two channel music exceeded my expectation.
I usually listen to the ARC Ref 5se and the Ref 250 amps Sundays when I just want to sit back and listen to music with a cup of tea and maybe read the Sunday paper.

I also compared the S1200's DACs against the Oppo 95's analog output and the two were close but there were some differences that favored the S1200's DAC. Vocals through the S1200's coax digital input sounded more focused and the highs were a bit more extended. Vocals through the Oppo 95's analog out was a bit recessed and top end was slightly rolled off . The low end did not go as deep either. Overall, I preferred the sound of S1200's dac over the Oppo 95's analog output so I will be using the Oppo 95 as a cd transport with the S1200 except when listening to SACD discs.

As for the S1200's HT performance, it outperfomed my previous setup of the the Oppo 95's 7.1 analog outputs connected to a Parasound P7. This was expected given the S1200 is 5x the cost of the P7. The S1200 is more dynamic and has deeper low end. I heard picture frames and a few other things shaking and rattling tonight. I hope my neighbors are not pissed at me.
I wish the remote had backlighting and different shape buttons. Two HDMI outputs would have been nice so that I could connect it to my Kuro 151 plasma and to the JVC projector.

The S1200 is my first processor with HDMI inputs. My previous processor/preamps are a Lexicon MC12B and a Parasound P7.

My system consist of:
Preamp - ARC REF 5se
Pre/processor - Krell S1200
Amps - ARC REF 250, Krell Evolution 403E for HT and music. Two Krell S275 amps for side and rears.
Source equipment - ARC DAC 8 with Mac Mini with Pure Music, Oppo 95, Wadia 861 SE GNSC Statement and a Sony SCD 777.
Speakers are all Revel - Salon 2, Voice 2, two pairs of Embraces for sides and rears and sub 30s.
Stax headphones.
Power conditioner is Shunyata V Ray and cords are Anaconda CX, Cobra ZiTron and Black mamba HC CX.
Interconnects and speaker cables are Audioquest Sky, WEL, Diamond USB and Everest speaker cables.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Jeff,

I was able to spend a few hours with the S1200 today and watched a couple of concerts and some movie.

I did a comparison between the S1200 the Ref5se with and Audio Reseach DAC 8 as the source connected to an Apple Mac Mini. The two preamps sound very different as expected. The S1200 has a very energetic sound with deep and powerful bass with very detailed highs. I heard bass notes that I never heard or felt.
In comparison to the S1200, the REF 5SE is more laid back with smoother vocals and slightly deeper soundstage. Which one did I prefer? Well, while listening
to S1200, I never had an urge to switch back to the REF 5SE. As a preamp/processor, the S1200's performance in two channel music exceeded my expectation.
I usually listen to the ARC Ref 5se and the Ref 250 amps Sundays when I just want to sit back and listen to music with a cup of tea and maybe read the Sunday paper.

I also compared the S1200's DACs against the Oppo 95's analog output and the two were close but there were some differences that favored the S1200's DAC. Vocals through the S1200's coax digital input sounded more focused and the highs were a bit more extended. Vocals through the Oppo 95's analog out was a bit recessed and top end was slightly rolled off . The low end did not go as deep either. Overall, I preferred the sound of S1200's dac over the Oppo 95's analog output so I will be using the Oppo 95 as a cd transport with the S1200 except when listening to SACD discs.

As for the S1200's HT performance, it outperfomed my previous setup of the the Oppo 95's 7.1 analog outputs connected to a Parasound P7. This was expected given the S1200 is 5x the cost of the P7. The S1200 is more dynamic and has deeper low end. I heard picture frames and a few other things shaking and rattling tonight. I hope my neighbors are not pissed at me.
I wish the remote had backlighting and different shape buttons. Two HDMI outputs would have been nice so that I could connect it to my Kuro 151 plasma and to the JVC projector.

The S1200 is my first processor with HDMI inputs. My previous processor/preamps are a Lexicon MC12B and a Parasound P7.

My system consist of:
Preamp - ARC REF 5se
Pre/processor - Krell S1200
Amps - ARC REF 250, Krell Evolution 403E for HT and music. Two Krell S275 amps for side and rears.
Source equipment - ARC DAC 8 with Mac Mini with Pure Music, Oppo 95, Wadia 861 SE GNSC Statement and a Sony SCD 777.
Speakers are all Revel - Salon 2, Voice 2, two pairs of Embraces for sides and rears and sub 30s.
Stax headphones.
Power conditioner is Shunyata V Ray and cords are Anaconda CX, Cobra ZiTron and Black mamba HC CX.
Interconnects and speaker cables are Audioquest Sky, WEL, Diamond USB and Everest speaker cables.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks for sharing!
Seems like the Krell and the SP3 are the ones to beat...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM

New Guy (what is your name, anyway?), thanks so much for answering my questions. Really appreciate it. Im sure I'll have some more, but had a death in the family so can't focus on audio right now.

Congrats on the new S1200, and glad it's meeting your expectations. This unit really deserves more recognition. Maybe I'll buy the Bryston SP3 and we can share and compare...
Speakers: Canton Ref K3

Last edited by jeffkrag; 08-19-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 AM

Unhappy

Hi Jeff,

My name is Rich. Sorry to hear about your loss. Take care of the family first and we can talk audio later.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
New Guy (what is your name, anyway?), thanks so much for answering my questions. Really appreciate it. Im sure I'll have some more, but had a death in the family so can't focus on audio right now.

Congrats on the new S1200, and glad it's meeting your expectations. This unit really deserves more recognition. Maybe I'll buy the Bryston SP3 and we can share and compare...
Jeff, my sincere condolences!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Thanks guys. Dont want to hijack the thread, but I appreciate the condolences. It was my father-in-law, but he had been sick for a while and his passing was truly a blessing for both him and his/our families. Nobody should have to endure such suffering (dementia, diabetes, kidney failure, etc). Tough stuff. My wife and her sister will have their moments, but there is also a great sense of relief that he isn't suffering any more. Thanks again guys. Look forward to getting back to talking audio very soon. Sincerely, Jeff.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Hey Rich:

Is the S1200 holding up well sound-wise? I'm curious if you've had a chance to play with the EQ yet. Although it doesnt have a loudness or tone control feature, I believe the S1200 does allow the ability to create up to 4 EQ "profiles." That could be a pretty cool feature whereby you could create a profile to boost poorer recordings, and another one to tame. I don't have any room treatment, so the EQ feature, if robust enough, could also really help with room induced frequency anomalies. Have you tried playing with this yet?

Another thing I like about the S1200, including the trim buttons right on the remote that allow level adjustments on the fly for all speakers (incl back surrounds if I remember right, no?).

Hope you're having fun. Let us know how it's coming along.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Jeff,

I have not had a chance to play with EQ, maybe during the Labor Day weekend. I don't have time during the week to play with my system.

I do like having the trim button on the remote and the ability to adjust during the movie. Last week I was watch a DTS Master movie and the bass was way too hot and the trim button can in handy.

I am going try out the balance input this weekend.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 AM

Okey doke on the EQ. Look forward to your report. Is your room good as respects acoustics, or do you need/use room treatement?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Jeff,

I have not had a chance to play with EQ, maybe during the Labor Day weekend. I don't have time during the week to play with my system.

I do like having the trim button on the remote and the ability to adjust during the movie. Last week I was watch a DTS Master movie and the bass was way too hot and the trim button can in handy.

I am going try out the balance input this weekend.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003