AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-25-2024, 03:59 PM

Audiogear - thank you. I've had good advice over the years from a local shop. I bought all my equipment except the speakers from the same person (going back 45+ years). He retired a year or two ago, but recommended the speakers. He actually recommended the IIIs given my target budget, but I decided to go with the Vs. I see some really amazing systems on the site, including yours. I need to get back to the shop and listen to the 462 and 611s. They demoed my speakers with the 462 - a nudge that I could use a little more power.

I started my journey with Mitsubishi amp/preamp and AR speakers.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD 1958 View Post

Puma - yes, my listening room is less than ideal. I'm sure some acoustic panels would help.

Thanks!!!!
Yes, the room itself is the biggest factor in the performance of an audio system.
Here's some useful links at GIK for acoustical panels.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

https://www.gikacoustics.com/room-acoustics-visualizer/

https://www.gikacoustics.com/acousti...ls-calculator/

I really like the Alpha series as a great way to get started:
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product.../alpha-series/

Here's a photo of my set-up. I sit 6.5 feet in front of the speakers with the Harbeths 6.5 feet apart and 3 feet in front of the front wall. All set-up measurements made using a laser "tape measure". For "critical listening", I also place an Alpha 4A in the middle of the half wall behind the speakers, as shown here, but when listening casually, I just take it off and place it on the floor so the cats won't jump up there and "playfully" knock it off the half-wall down onto the entryway stairs behind it. You can see there is also a GIK 2" foam-backed "art panel" behind the main rack, as well.

There are also GIK 2" foam art panels at the "1st-reflection" points on the side walls with respect to the listening position as well. These are also really important.

I also have a 4 GIK 2' x 2' 13-root foam quadratic diffusers on the ceiling at the 1st reflection point on the ceiling.

I can provide some other really helpful tips if you're interested, such as the importance of quality power distribution and ground-plane noise reduction.

Improving your room acoustics, your power distribution, and reducing ground-plane noise will provide a bigger improvement and create a more involving musical experience than upgrading from a Reference Signature Platinum edition component to a Reference Signature Platinum Extreme edition.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-25-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:14 PM

What are you doing for power? Do you have a dedicated line for your equipment? What cables do you use? What is your favorite album at the moment? Lastly, when using your current amp, how many watts are you using most of the time?

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 01-25-2024, 06:50 PM

Puma - thanks for the links on the panels. They look pretty reasonable. I didn't see the picture of your set up, but my speakers are arranged similar to what you describe - about 3 feet in front of the back wall and 7 feet apart. I sit about 8 feet in front of the speakers. One challenge is that I listen in a finished basement - fairly large room, but I'm situated in half of the room. My left speaker is about 5 feet in from the left wall. There is open space next to my right speaker. I have about 10 feet of open space behind where I sit. Sorry, my description isn't better. I'll take a picture and try to post.

McMan - great questions. I do have a dedicated line. I use the Mac cord from the streamer to the 2700. The rest of the cables and speaker connections are good, but not "top of the line". I should look to upgrade those too. I mostly listen to classic rock and typically use 1.5 to 15 watts. Volume at that level is good - I've been a little leery pushing it much higher. I listened to the Yes Album last night - first time on the system - sounded great - very 3 dimensional sound.

All recommendations are very much appreciated
Old 01-25-2024, 07:15 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD 1958 View Post
Formerly - thanks for the tube recommendation. Is replacing the tubes an easy process? I don't have much confidence tinkering with electronics.Thanks!!!!
Not to fear, the work is all mechanical rather than electrical.
Turn off your C2700 and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Remove the AC power cord to be safe.
I use a small cordless screwdriver with a Phillips head bit (or a manual Phillips head screwdriver) to remove the screws that hold the top cover in place (there are 4 or 5 on top and a couple along the back edge, if memory serves). Pull up the back edge and slide the top off towards the rear.
Inside you will find a "clamp" holding the six (6) tubes in place. Remove the 2 screws and set it aside.
Your speakers came with a pair of white 'handling gloves'. They work equally well for handling tubes (don't want our greasy finger prints on them). Work the tubes out of their sockets by wiggling back & forth a bit at a time. No hurry.
Reverse the process for installation (due to pin orientation - you will see they only install with the pins lined up with the holes in the tube socket).
The one (1) 12AT7 must go in its particular socket. The other five (5) 12AX7 can each go in any of the other sockets.
Personally, I leave the tube clamp out when putting the top back on. Unless you are moving your C2700 around a bunch, the tubes aren't going anywhere.
Install the cover, put the AC cord back and power up.
Have fun and happy listening!!

EDIT - here is a short u-toob video that shows the removal and installation of small signal tubes (similar to yours). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoF_WGc7-o
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-25-2024 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:29 PM

I just bought two sets of tubes from Bob and was best price I found. Most importantly flawless communication and delivery!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 01-25-2024, 10:23 PM

TD-

You may wish to consider another dedicated power line for the power amp alone. While the box is open, tighten all connections paying particular attention to the grounding.

As far as amps go, have you ever given the 275 a listen? True, it doesn't have the "on paper" power of a 462 or 611 mono blocks but may find it an. interesting comparison.

BTW, does your CD player have digital outputs? If so, have you tried using the DAC in the 2700 instead of the CD player itself?

Which AR speakers did you have?

Welcome and enjoy the sounds!

John
Old 01-25-2024, 10:47 PM

I would first replace the tubes in the pre-amplifier. I prefer the Gold Lions in my C22.

Second, I would consider Iso Acoustics under the speakers. I have a set under my Cremona Auditors and love them. Also, Ivan might have some recommendations with Still-Points under the speakers.

Third, I would consider wiring the entire system with the same loom. Wireworld makes some affordable cables that sound great. I think consistent material all the way through would be beneficial.

Fourth (but should be first), take time and work on speaker placement and room.

C2700 & MC152 & Nova v is a fantastic setup. Don't worry about pushing the MC152. It is a Mc. You might find that it sounds best under 15 watts. You will push any Mc amp regardless of the power. It's human nature.

At some point, see if you can try an MC1502 or MC275. You might fall in love with how McTube amps sound.

If you want to replace the amp, consider MC462 & MC1502. If it were a system
solely for music. I would go with the mc1502 for my tastes.

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 01-25-2024, 10:49 PM

What Mac streaming device are you using?

Old 01-25-2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
A quick & relatively inexpensive upgrade would be to replace the stock tubes in your C2700 with a set of Gold Lion tubes from Bob (vintage-tube, above). He has good pricing and they are a nice step-up from the stock McIntosh tubes (put the McIntosh tubes on the shelf as a back-up).
The MC312 or MC462 would both be a nice upgrade.
I’ll 2nd that suggestion to upgrade the tubes in your c2700. Gold lions are what I am using in mine as well. Quite a nice upgrade for a minimal cost, and the install is quite easy as well.
McIntosh C2700/MC462-HIFI Rose 150b streamer/dac-Sonus Faber Olympica Nova V(wenge)-Shunyata Denali 6000/T v2-Shunyata Sigma XC/Sigma v2 NR/Alpha v2 NR/ Delta v2 NR-Alpha v2 XLR-Alpha v2 speaker/jumper-Solid steel HY-2/HY amp stand