AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Question f110?

I just picked up the fathom f110, so far, I dont really have much thought on this unit in my system. for those of you that have JL subs, any hints on set up?

the installer set it up, to the (facing the system) right and behind about two feet from my main speaker, about two inch from the back, and side wall. My mains are Totem wind design. He set it up with the adsyee (not sure how to spell that sorry) from my marantz 8003. the settings are zero phase 100 and zero, set at ref.

now I had my system running in the plus 4 to 3 range where my totems woffers were rocking and jumping but the sub was not putting anything out at all really, very little vibes.

so is this the way I should have it? should i use the mic set up with the JL? or is this kinda like over kill where I really didnt need a sub?

Now I always had a sub, ( polk 505- I know it never fit in with the rest of my equipment) I always had good base with HT, and 2chnl, with out the sub really doing much.

so did I just spend 2grand to have the JL name to match the rest of my equipment when I really didnt need a sub, or should I moved up to the 12-13 ones? Or is it just a cross over phase that I need to adjust.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for any thoughts.

thanks guys, and happy jingle jingle
Mcintosh 501(x2) ~ c2300 ~ Mc 303 ~ Marantz 8003 and 7004BD ~ Esoteric DV-60 ~ JL Audio F110 (x 2) ~ Music Hall MMF (Benz silver cart) ~ Audience AU24 E Interconnects/Audio cables/ Power cords ~ Ricard Gray 400 Pro (x3) w/ kubala Power Cords ~Speakers Totem Wind Design-Model one signature Center-Dali Helicon W200 rears
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Congrats on the new sub. . For best set up you need a test tone cd so you can adjust the phase properly. Do a search on the JLf112 or Jlf113 on this forum and you will find alot of information on set up. Once it is set up properly It will be one of the best bang for the buck improvements you can make in your 2 channel system. Let us know your impression.

Last edited by 1KW; 12-22-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM

I have not had it set up for my 2chl set up yet. my system in really a three in one, I have complete seps, running together to do my ht and dedicated. right now its just doing Ht.

Is this an easy adjust for 2chnl? what was your set up like?

thanks for your kind words.
Mcintosh 501(x2) ~ c2300 ~ Mc 303 ~ Marantz 8003 and 7004BD ~ Esoteric DV-60 ~ JL Audio F110 (x 2) ~ Music Hall MMF (Benz silver cart) ~ Audience AU24 E Interconnects/Audio cables/ Power cords ~ Ricard Gray 400 Pro (x3) w/ kubala Power Cords ~Speakers Totem Wind Design-Model one signature Center-Dali Helicon W200 rears
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

At one time I had SF Electa Amaturs and a Rel sub. It did not have any automated features to aid set-up. So I had to rely on what I heard. I was amazed to discover the sub improved sound satge and bass response. After much experimentation I decided the "trick" was to feel the sub, not hear it. If the level or freq cutoff were set too high the mid bass response was muddy. If there is a hump in your room's freq response you can corss the sub at that point and adjust the phase to reduce the hump. Don't get discouraged at first. It took me a very long time and a lot tinkering to get it right. When all was said and done I was rewarded with great sound. Lastly it is very easy to over do it.

Last edited by tdelahanty; 04-12-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltleo View Post
so is this the way I should have it? should i use the mic set up with the JL? or is this kinda like over kill where I really didnt need a sub?
You do need to use the mic and go through the setup calibration. I had the same problem when I 1st connected my F110.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Congrats on the new toy! Buried somewhere in this section is great guide by PHC1 (Serge) which I think is the gold standard for integrating a sub(s) into a system.

You need to try the ARO. I'm certain all of us have and received great results. My subs do not draw attention to themselves but I set them up that way. Others may want more slam and "feel" and the JL is capable of that, just dial it up if the room is not too large for the 110.

You moved from a Polk to JL. The JL has much more finesse and authority which at first listen may sound unusual. As long as your not trying to pressurize a concert hall, the 110 should not be a waste of money.

Gordon
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Check on the Audysssey web site, but I believe that they recommend running any DSP software in a sub prior to running the Audyssey setup. I think that the smoother the response of your sub prior to running Audyssey will allow the Audyssey's processors resources to do an even better job with the sub and leave more to be used in other areas.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 AM

It is a great little sub