AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Default The Big Three

Had a chance to stop by HiFi House in Wilmington DE to attend their Big Three event. Dan D'Agostinos amps were being played in 3 rooms, the first where Dan told the story of how this magnificent amp was developed and he played them on Maxxs, the second where Peter McGrath showed off the amps on Wilson Sashas with his masters and the third where Karen Sumner showed off the amps and her wonderful cables on Sophias. This event was high end the way it used to be, a very special evening. Kudos to Jon Robbins and Paul Sandquist of HiFi House for arranging it and to D'Agostino, Wilson, and Transparent for making it happen. We need a lot more in our industry like these folks.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 AM

So... which room was your favorite?

Which pre amps were used in each room?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
From the BAT cave ...

I would have loved to have been there.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Hear to listen...

On Tuesday, the event was at HiFi House's Jenkintown, PA location, and they had Alexandrias, Sashas, and Sophias running. They were using Sooloos into the Meridian 808 CD player as a source for Sasha...didn't note the pre-amp...to D'Agostino Momentum monoblocks. I believe the Alexandrias ran with ARC Ref CD8 to ARC Ref 5 to D'Agostinos although I didn't really take note of the source & pre. I'm fairly certain that Sophia ran ARC CD5 to ARC LS27 to Ayre V-5xe with Transparent Reference cabling. I don't recall seeing Reference MM2 or Opus MM2 products on any system, but I didn't study it and could be wrong.

It was surely a blast of a night...the Alexandrias just make me smile and shake my head with their power, presence, and detail...they'd also make me bankrupt, but, at least, it would be a somewhat pleasant filing.

I was hoping to swing down to Wilmington for a bit, yesterday, to watch Peter McGrath go through his setup, but I got tied up. Bill, I look forward to meeting at some point in the future.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson

Last edited by BlueChiaro; 05-06-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
So... which room was your favorite?

Which pre amps were used in each room?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Anyone who has spent any time in the Wilmington HiFi House knows how tough those rooms can be. The Maxxs had to make do on the main floor and I think the Wilson Boys did a great job of wringing out what they could. Big open sound that any Wilson fan would go nuts for. Peter had a room with a very uneven bass characteristic that he managed to turn authoritative and rich. As always his recordings are something to behold - sometimes eccentric but always breathtaking. Karen's room was the most live of all with lots of glass but her historical trip through some of the music of her audio life held a coherence that neither of the other two systems could match.

Really enjoyed Dan's presentation on the amps. They made great sound and I think they are breathtaking visually. I've never been an unconditional power guy - and it seems Dan has done some pretty cool and innovative things without just throwing more power out there. He's moved beyond his Krell days and seems at once relaxed yet invigorated. I think this is an exciting and vibrant new company and I can't wait to see what's coming next - especially since Dan described it for us.

Finished off the evening having dinner with most of the manufacturing folks who were there. This business has always been about the people and last night's dinner was no exception. All it takes is a night like this to remind me why I've spent my entire adult life in hifi and why I know the best is yet to come!

Missed you Robert, but you did have all the magazine writers and Stereo Exchange owner Dave Wasserman in Jenkintown. We'll get together at Ivan's if not before.