AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I personally could live with the ARC REF CD-9 / REF6 combo, the REF CD-9 / REF10 combo or the K-01X / REF10 combo. I personally couldn't live with the K-01X / REF6 combo, just a bit too edgy IMHO. My current system (gear which I own) is the Esoteric K-01X, REF10, Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps and Vandersteen Model 7 MkII speakers.
That is why I am paying particular attention to your posts. We have similar gear. I have the K-01X and Ref 5SE combo. Different amps (Theta Prometheus) and Wilson speakers. Before I bought the Esoteric I had the CD 9 to audition at home. I have plans on borrowing the Ref 10 from my dealer and hearing it in my own system.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
That is why I am paying particular attention to your posts. We have similar gear. I have the K-01X and Ref 5SE combo. Different amps (Theta Prometheus) and Wilson speakers. Before I bought the Esoteric I had the CD 9 to audition at home. I have plans on borrowing the Ref 10 from my dealer and hearing it in my own system.
Hi Sharp,

From my experience and in my opinion, the Ref 5SE and Ref 10 have very similar sonic signatures, while the Ref 6 sounds somewhat different as I have described in my previous posts. The Ref 10 sounds similar to the Ref 5SE but essentially does everything better. Wider and deeper soundstage, more transparent, more refined, more dynamic, more linear and deeper reaching and more robust bass. When you think about it, this makes a whole lot of sense because the Ref 10 is in essence two Ref 5SE's put together, one for each channel. To conclude, I think if you really like the way your Ref 5SE sounds with your K-01X, you will love the way the Ref 10 sounds with the K-01X. Please let me know your thoughts after your Ref 10 home audition.

All the best,
Ken
Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 AM
Lifetime audio addict!

Hi Ken, when I return from El Salvador I will take the unit home for comparison.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:38 AM

Ahhh.. dealer is taking back REF6 tomorrow. So I will have more time to live with my 6 years old REF40 again. .. but that's fine.

Toga
Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Ahhh.. dealer is taking back REF6 tomorrow. So I will have more time to live with my 6 years old REF40 again. .. but that's fine.

Toga
Hi Toga,

The REF40 is a wonderful preamp, very organic sounding and musical. The REF6 at its price point is pretty amazing. One of the best preamp values on the market. Very transparent, lively and dynamic sounding with impactful bass. ARC is doing a wonderful job with their preamp line.

Ken
Old 11-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Seriously....Whether you favour an agile 4 Lt 911 or a consummately
powerful V12 Bently Continental GT, ditch the factory Sovtek 6550's for circa 1970's GE 6550A's

Neither pre will deliver their full potential otherwise.
I have no idea what Porsches and Bentleys have to do with hi-fi. In any event, such pronouncement about the superiority of one tube over another is the same as extolling the virtues of one component over another: You can't make such a definitive proclamation and expect it to be equally valid to all systems and all listeners. That's because we can never achieve perfection, so preference must play a role.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I have no idea what Porsches and Bentleys have to do with hi-fi. In any event, such pronouncement about the superiority of one tube over another is the same as extolling the virtues of one component over another: You can't make such a definitive proclamation and expect it to be equally valid to all systems and all listeners. That's because we can never achieve perfection, so preference must play a role.

Several converts here and on other forum where I have made the same recommendation may beg to differ, try the search function.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/audio...s-ref-5se.html

A thread titled " Compare-ARC-Ref-5SE-with-Dartzeel-NHB-18NS" over on WhatsBest also

Last edited by Harlequin; 11-21-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Several converts here and on other forum where I have made the same recommendation may beg to differ, try the search function.

Compare ARC Ref 5SE with Dartzeel NHB-18NS - Page 3
Harlequin, you may wish to read the Audioaficionado FAQ:
"Do not post active links to other forums or blogs."
Old 11-21-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Harlequin, you may wish to read the Audioaficionado FAQ:
"Do not post active links to other forums or blogs."
Lol, Just like spinning for Bass, go on report me? you know you want to, apologies Ivan for flaunting the bait.

And as to the point I was highlighting ? I would be more than pleased to read your links to comment by as many adopters of the GE's that found the substitution to be ineffective or even detrimental to the performance of their ARC equipment.

For my part I prefer to offer my own experiences for consideration by fellow ARC users, hoping to be of some assistance, rather than acting like the forum Grinch ;-)

Last edited by Harlequin; 11-21-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Lol, Just like spinning for Bass, go on report me? you know you want to, apologies Ivan for flaunting the bait.

And as to the point I was highlighting ? I would be more than pleased to read your links to comment by as many adopters of the GE's that found the substitution to be ineffective or detrimental to the performance of their ARC equipment.
I'm just trying to have a friendly conversation. If I wanted to "report" you to Ivan, I would have done that.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here of anything, other than they should feel free to make decisions for themselves.