AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 PM

A ref10 would be a dream, ref40 too perhaps. But for my eyes , they have the same problem, 2-6550 and 10 6h30. Then I prefer my ref5se, with nos tubes. Their life are longer and sound is so far better , aswel 6550c than we, that he can rivalise with a ref 40 for an half of the price.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 AM

When I tried Momentum amp, I didn't feel any advantage over my Gryphon Mephisto,
and pre also didn't too. Ergonomics was rather poor I felt. preamp green light cannot
turn off, speaker terminals were a nightmare for high end SC. They were good, but nothing to make me want to switch.

Frankly, I really felt other than the a minimal lost of tube sound and greater hiss sound than anticipated (may be due to high gain of 31dB of my amp + 94 dB/W sensitivity of my speakers), XS Pre has better performance. oh and it also has poor user interface, and Pass consumes 80watt 24/7, cannot turn off it must be kept warm.

One problem I found with ARC Ref40 was that I found it to lack some drive at higher range of volume control. with low level source, when I pushed it up beyond 50 I felt it didn't have the juice left much. similar to pushing a 1500c.c. car up hill. On Pass,
it has the power to drive Mephisto more linearly.

Sonically, Pass offered very realistic sound to the instrument.

But of course I will continue to evaluated it more carefully.

Toga
Old 09-26-2015, 05:54 AM

Toga, have you tube rolled your Ref40 yet? If not try NOS GE6550A's, of course on paper this should not make for any appreciable gain at higher spl's however in operation this valve does IMO produce a greater sense of scale and perhaps ?!?!?? a perception of greater propulsive impact over the stock Sovtek.

Jasper.

Last edited by Harlequin; 09-26-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:05 AM

I just changed the two 6550 in my Ref10 to Tung Sol made in the 60's. Oh, the sound is much better in every aspect. If you have not tried vintage 6550 in your Ref40 and you give it up. It is a sin!

First, you have to explore the full potential of your Ref40 before anything else.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I just changed the two 6550 in my Ref10 to Tung Sol made in the 60's. Oh, the sound is much better in every aspect. If you have not tried vintage 6550 in your Ref40 and you give it up. It is a sin!

First, you have to explore the full potential of your Ref40 before anything else.
Sound consideration TLi, however I am not so sure whether our advice re upping the game with NOS valves in his Ref40 in terms of Tone, Texture, Timbre etc.etc. Is entirely germane to TOGA's main point regarding propulsive drive at higher SPL's.

BTW, which variant of Tung Sol 6550 are you currently sporting in your Ref10 ? For my part I spent more time than any sane person should rolling most if not all current, recent and vintage 6550 known to man in my previous 5SE, some subtly different, others more so yet different!

Last edited by Harlequin; 09-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Sound consideration TLi, however I am not so sure whether our advice re upping the game with NOS valves in his Ref40 in terms of Tone, Texture, Timbre etc.etc. Is entirely germane to TOGA's main point regarding propulsive drive at higher SPL's. BTW, which variant of Tung Sol 6550 are you currently sporting in your Ref10 ? For my part I spent more time than any sane person should rolling most if not all current, recent and vintage 6550 known to man in my previous 5SE, some subtly different, others more so yet different!
I use 6550 with smooth gray plate, manufactured in 1962 and branded as GEC. There are two getters on the side and one on top. With these tubes, the bass is extended and tightened. Treble has more air in it and vocal is more real life. I was using Svetlana current 6550C before, the difference between the two is fairly profounded.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I use 6550 with smooth gray plate, manufactured in 1962 and branded as GEC. There are two getters on the side and one on top. With these tubes, the bass is extended and tightened. Treble has more air in it and vocal is more real life. I was using Svetlana current 6550C before, the difference between the two is fairly profounded.
Nice valve on balance probably my favourite out of the hand full of Tung Sol variants. For my part, as harmonically dense and textural as are the earlier black plates, I found that whilst superb on Crooner/Singer Songwriter, Jazz, they tended towards luxurious inaccuracy on Classical and Contemporary.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Well, I am thinking the way to keep Ref40 while bringing in new XS Pre too. The 6550c that came with it were SED. The Sovtek were 6H30. Regarding tubes rolling, that is exactly what I don't wanna do. I want something that is consistently good night and day. With predictable sound quality 24/7. That's what I am looking for. I really don't have much time to do day-to-day tuning. So SS is what I am looking now. One hope is that it will match te musicality that Ref40 provided to me since 2010.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-26-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:51 PM

TOGA!!! That is entirely why I strongly urge you to acquire a pair for NOS General Electric 6550A's as regulators in your Ref40. You have most certainly NOT expearienced,as yet, the additional nuances and qualities that your pre is capable of in sticking with stock valves, GE 6550's are exceptionally reliable in this regard and you can just, Inzert, Be thrilled, and Forget!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Have heard lots of very positive comments about the Dartzeel NHB -18B preamp. They have just updated it as well. Supposed to be very natural and transparent. Lots of reviews online. Hope this helps. Fremer uses it in his system.