AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto

We are lucky; audio triplets, not twins . That's a very nice thing to be.

Over the years, I've learned that Serge and I have, not identical tastes, but VERY similar understanding of sound. So when he describes something, I get it and trust it. That's why I bought his Tannoys Sandringhams --- one of the best audio decisions I've ever made. Similarly, when I describe what I am looking for, he understands what I mean.

In other words, we speak the same language and trust that we hear things very similarly.

With one of my audiophile neighbors I also have a system; what he likes I dislike and viceversa. He can't stand tubes, I can't stand transistors. He can't stand soft-dome tweeters, I can't stand hard-domes, etc. It's also very useful .

Alberto
Alberto, you "can't stand transistors" ?
I did not remember that when you had your 501's....

I still can enjoy very much my C48 / 2205 combo but yes, I prefer tubes clearly.
Something is pretty sure though : we're all getting old in the same wat !
Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Alberto, you "can't stand transistors" ?
I did not remember that when you had your 501's....

I still can enjoy very much my C48 / 2205 combo but yes, I prefer tubes clearly.
Something is pretty sure though : we're all getting old in the same wat !
Slight exaggeration of course, but not by much.

I loved the 501s (and the MC252 before that) because, although solid-state, they had the "soul" and sound of tube amps ... because of those magnificent output transformers. To me, the 501s (and all McIntosh amps with output transformers) are tube amps in transistor's clothing :-). More than one person thought that I (and McIntosh) were crazy for putting completely unnecessary and costly output transformers on transistor amps; tubes need them (except for OTL designs) but transistors don't and many think that they introduce distortions of some sort ... and perhaps that's what I liked about them.

I never said so, or actually thought about it in this terms, but the only solid state amps I seriously considered in recent years were McIntosh ... because they did not sound solid state.

I dislike the edginess of most transistor amps, the 501s took that away, but they were missing the "X factor" that tubes have. I do miss the convenience of solid state, but I can't see myself going back.

Alberto

PS I suspect that some solid state brands (e.g. DarTZeel and D'Agostino) sound amazing and would keep me happy. By the same token, there are some tube brands (e.g. ARC) that are too analytical for my ears.

Last edited by Alberto; 06-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto

Slight exaggeration of course, but not by much.

I loved the 501s (and the MC252 before that) because, although solid-state, they had the "soul" and sound of tube amps ... because of those magnificent output transformers. To me, the 501s (and all McIntosh amps with output transformers) are tube amps in transistor's clothing :-). More than one person thought that I (and McIntosh) were crazy for putting completely unnecessary and costly output transformers on transistor amps; tubes need them (except for OTL designs) but transistors don't and many think that they introduce distortions of some sort ... and perhaps that's what I liked about them.

I never said so, or actually thought about it in this terms, but the only solid state amps I seriously considered in recent years were McIntosh ... because they did not sound solid state.

I dislike the edginess of most transistor amps, the 501s took that away, but they were missing the "X factor" that tubes have. I do miss the convenience of solid state, but I can't see myself going back.

Alberto

PS I suspect that some solid state brands (e.g. DarTZeel and D'Agostino) sound amazing and would keep me happy. By the same token, there are some tube brands (e.g. ARC) that are too analytical for my ears.
I agree Alberto. Mc SS amps sound very tubey.
Did you ever hear actually the Dart ?
Very nice sounding amp but really very analytic. Tons of details.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM

thanks guys, you are always very kind and I'm glad to have revived the thread :-)

At this point it is becoming more interesting hypothesis Monbrison / Cortese F2a, but I take this opportunity to ask you, if there is an amplifier (Shindo) in particular, that might be even more suitable with my Silverback, having to choose between SET, there is the Lafon GM70, can you tell me something about it?

About Silverback's, I confirm what you say about the synergy Shindo / DeVORE. The Silverbacks are wonderful!!
I chose the walnut color and the new model has the front and rear panel gloss black, with the writing is stamped on aluminum mirror.

In the next days I would like to show you some pictures :-)

Last edited by fclombardo; 06-15-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM

I am pleased to share with you some photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11731...CPLQoJOs3ozKQg
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fclombardo View Post

Wonderful setup!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Some wonderful shots of what must be a fabulous sounding set up

Thanks for sharing
Matt
Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Very nice !

Not sure though if the multiplug I see in the background has its place in a such great system.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the appreciation .. Jerome W: You are perfectly right! until a few days ago I used a Nordost Qbase x8 and the whole system was wired with Nordost Valhalla but I decided to sell everything. They are just the beginning of this change of route;-) and very soon will complete the system with the components that go in the same direction.
I can guarantee that the current Multiplug sounds less artificially of the nordost
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the appreciation .. Jerome W: You are perfectly right! until a few days ago I used a Nordost Qbase x8 and the whole system was wired with Nordost Valhalla but I decided to sell everything. They are just the beginning of this change of route;-) and very soon will complete the system with the components that go in the same direction.
I can guarantee that the current Multiplug sounds less artificially of the nordost
Oh I see. I can trust you easily on that. Some "audio" power components can sound really bad compared to regular ones. I have had this experience too.